tie green filly or loose in trailer?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlenicker

Reaction score
Ive hired a hauler to ship my horse 2 hours away, its an emergency situation no time to train her properly for the trailer, she is very green, not good at tying, it will be a box stall trailer, shes only been hauled once, to get to me, not sure if she was tied or not. My thought is, she would be better off not tied so she wont rear up and get her leg over the lead rope (she likes to rear)..it would be awful to have her tangled in the rope in the trailer all the way down there...I would think if she were loose, she'd be safer...then again I wonder, she is so light, will she get tossed about? Thoughts?

To tie or not to tie?

Personally I'd just load her, remove the lead and go. It's not safe or fair to one that isn't taught to tie to make 'em endure that even if it is for a short time. Better safe than sorry too, cause if they get to fighting the lead in the trailer, you can end up with a hurt or dead horse.

I too would leave her free, she will be fine and unlikely loose her balance enough to fall. I transport most of mine loose and even had one that likes to lay down for the whole joirney.

Best of luck with your move

Ok thats what we were thinking, just wanted to be sure
default_smile.png

Keep in mind that if you are concerned about her being tossed about in the box stall--having her tied would not be a good thing! Being tied would not keep her from being tossed about and could result in injury if she were to be tossed about.

Un a box stall--better to have her loose and then she can stand how she likes.

We not only leave them loose we take halters off, even though someone (ME!) has to climb over the divider to put them back on at the end of the trip. When loading, someone will lead them on, up to a person on the other side of the divider who holds them while the door or tailgate is put up and then can take the halter and lead off so you only have to climb over once.

I actually don't tie my horses in the trailer--any of my horses ranging from green to a 30 year old.

Always loose and no halter when possible. Minis can get in a load of trouble and you would have no clue as you won't feel the trailer like you would with a full sized horse. I will never forget friends of ours getting to a show and their colt was hurt so badly but was alive. They had to get a vet out to put him down, he had broken his neck and they had a big trailer..... These were very experienced horse people and a freak accident, but horses are so good at getting into freak accidents.

This has been discussed in other conversations- I always tie and have never had a problem. I know of two other people that did not tie, and ended up with fatalities- one full sized horse was actually able to turn around in a full sized trailer and jumped out the back onto the freeway.... another fell out the back when the door malfunctioned or was not closed tight enough and came open. Neither a pretty picture.

I would never not tie a full sized horse in a standing-stall, snug trailer. And if I had a trailer that had mini standing-stall dividers, I would tie, too. But...most people have big trailers made for big horses; in that case I always just take the halter off and not tie. But, again, for a big horse they are wrapped, have bumpers on and tail wraps...and are always tied and secure.

Edited to add...If I absolutely had to ship a big horse untied (unhandled etc.), that trailer would not be completely shut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Littlenicker-I sure hope everything went well. Let us know how it went.

this has giving me alot to think about. I always tie my big horses, but I've only trailer the mini's couple of times and I tied them.

I just got a different trailer last Nov, its a two horse slant Exiss, with a divider. I took the divider out last time I hauled minis to vet, because it doesnt to all the way to floor. I tied them, where they were next to walls for support. I planned on having my husband extend the divider to the floor so I could put one or two in there. (If I take divider out this trailer will haul 3 full size horses) If I where to leave them loose they have a whole trailer to bounce around in. I cant see this as safer. Do you all that leave them loose have small dividers for the mini's? like little stalls?

Please let me know, now I am worried
default_no.gif

I normally tie mine but have done it both ways, depending on the situation. In a box stall she ought to be fine loose.

Jan

When it comes to horror stories about untied horses getting out of the trailer....by the same token I have also known of a couple instances where a horse was very badly injured by a trailer door coming open, and the horse ended up out (or partly out) of the trailer while still tied inside—these were full size horses in a standard front facing trailer—they were tied but when the door came open they either stepped back or fell back and their hind feet ended up out on the road while their heads were still tied to the front of the stall—not at all a pretty picture by the time the driver got the rig stopped, because once the horse's hind feet are out of the trailer, which is travelling at speed down the highway, he hasn't a hope of getting back in again. He can only drag. People suggested that the horses would possibly have fared better if they had been able to fall right out of the trailer rather than being dragged…. The same thing could happen with a Mini tied in a box stall, if the stall is right at the back of the trailer (or the horse goes out an open side door). Tying does not guarantee safety, and in some situations may be more unsafe than leaving the horse loose.

Janiecakes--I haul a 14 ft stock trailer that is 5' wide. There is a center (roughly center) gate so if I am only hauling a couple of horses I put one in front, one in back (or both in front if they are buddies) and leave them loose--they have a box stall that is roughly 7' x 5'--the front part is slightly longer than the back part. They generally ride facing backwards--I drive carefully so they aren't going to get thrown around in the normal course of travel. If I have to brake hard to avoid something then they would get skittered to the front of the stall--but I feel that is safer than if they are tied & the same thing happens. In the case of a major wreck, it isn't good either way--at least loose they will not have their necks broken by the tie rope--and if the trailer were to flip or roll, a tie rope wouldn't help them at all. And believe me, I drive defensively to try and avoid any such thing happening!!! If I'm hauling 6, as I often do, then I tie, three facing forward, 3 facing backward--simply because I'm usually hauling at least one stallion and not all of the others really know each other--tied, none of them can cause any trouble for any of the others. Loose it would be a problem in some cases.

Before getting the stock trailer I pulled a 2 horse straight load trailer with full divider. I would either put one horse on each side and leave them loose--they would generally turn around & face backward--or I would tie the divider to one side & then I could haul 2 or 3 in the big part of the trailer--again, left loose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am of the thought that, as already stated, when in a trailer that has been specifically made for a big horse with deviders, or specifically for a small horse with deviders, yes, tie, by all means to prevent them from going over, under, getting hung up or turning around in the narrow space. If it is an open box or compartment, or a stock trailer, leave them loose. I have a sixteen ft stock with a full devider and a full rear door. It devides into two 8 ft compartments. Even if I am only hauling one horse, the devider is used to prevent tossing, or keep it to a minimum.

Latest posts

Back