Ticks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkman

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a question, is there anything I can put on my minis for ticks?
I had to remove one from my philly tonight, I found it by rubbing her neck under her mane.
Thank you in advance

I use spot shot. It's a monthly liquid that you apply to designated areas of the body. Each small tube is prepackaged, you just snip the tip. It's not expensive, and it works well for mini. Four come to a pack. We have a problem with ticks in our area due to the deer population.

I have had some success by spritzing OFF on the legs and tail. i hate those things.
I use spot shot. It's a monthly liquid that you apply to designated areas of the body. Each small tube is prepackaged, you just snip the tip. It's not expensive, and it works well for mini. Four come to a pack. We have a problem with ticks in our area due to the deer population.
Thank you
Where can I get the spot shot from?

Use the OFF found in the sporting goods section, not the kiddie section. Spritzing it on the long tail discourages the ticks from climbing up. And on the legs. I have had no ticks yet this fall, but usually I find them year round here on the horses. I've been keeping them in the mown pasture, which has helped a lot, instead of allowing them out into the tall grass and the pond area.

Use the OFF found in the sporting goods section, not the kiddie section. Spritzing it on the long tail discourages the ticks from climbing up. And on the legs. I have had no ticks yet this fall, but usually I find them year round here on the horses. I've been keeping them in the mown pasture, which has helped a lot, instead of allowing them out into the tall grass and the pond area.
I will give it a try.... thank you

I use a spot on also. I think freedom 45 or there is another, just whatever tractor supply has. It won't help with flies much but for ticks and gnats it works great.

The last week of cold, wet weather both of my horses have had the nasty critters. At first I thought it was a freak thing, but I've found a couple on each horse over the last few days. All are on their chests. I need to keep them out of the tall grass, I guess. Usually the ends of the tailbone are the hot spots. With all the fur, I have to run my hands all over them to look for the varmints.

I encountered this problem recently. Brushing it was a nightmare. This is a very fluffy, long-haired dog with a double coat. I went over the top of his head 3 or 4 times, and still kept finding ticks there. I drowned them in a glass of water.Yes, my dog is on Bravecto, a tick preventative. My concern is that ticks jump on us when we interact with it, or jump on us from furniture that it rubs against, such as our sofa, before they feel the effects of the medication, and thus infect us with Lyme. My kids checked me out, and they didn't find any additional ticks. The vet advised us to check out this natural flea & tick collar for dogs and it really helped. I hope they don't bother us again!

Latest posts

Back