Ticks on my Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkspr

Reaction score
In the past several weeks I've pulled about a tick a day off my two minis. I've been shaking Co-Ral dust on them, but I'm curious--if I happen to miss pulling one of the ticks off, are my girls in danger? I'm a paranoid owner!

The Co-Ral Dust should cause any ticks to 'dry up' and fall off. In most cases, horses don't have bad reactions to ticks. There will be a swollen area from the bite, and they itch. We live in 'tick country' here. LOL

I HATE ticks! Have not had any yet this year, thank goodness, on my horses but did find one on my dog. I am not familiar with Co-Ral Dust. If I keep my horses' legs sprayed with fly spray it seems to ward them off pretty well. I had one with a tick in his ear one time; it was down in the inner part and had not latched on when I found it. So check inside ears! A spritz of fly spray on the ears usually is enough to ward off the ticks in my area.

If you have deep woods, my solutions might not be adequate.

Ticks have been awful here this spring, even with guineas and chickens to eat them. Horses can get lyme disease from ticks and there is no vaccine for horses as of yet. My friend in New York runs a boarding and riding stable and 80% of her 36 horses tested positive for lyme disease and are being treated with antibiotics (VERY expensive). My vet says lyme is spreading here in Virginia as well so I'm paranoid. Spraying, Swat and removal are all that I can do until they come up with a horse approved vaccine. I've heard some vets up North where it's really bad are using the dog vaccine off label for horses. I'm going to try the equispot again this year, used it a long time ago and it seemed to repel the ticks as well as flies and mosquitoes.

We have many, many ticks up here in NY. The past 2 years, they are really bad. I am always picking them off the horses, cats and dog. The dog got the Lyme vaccine, so that is somewhat comforting. My stallion had Lyme disease last Spring and was treated for 5 months with twice daily antibiotics to clear his system. He is now fine and enjoying THIS Spring. When a horse begins to walk gingerly, it's a probable sign of Lyme. The joints begin to get sore and achy. I have heard that tee tree oil works well to prevent them. And always be checking for the little beggers!!

Latest posts

Back