TICKS on my horses!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos Ranch

Reaction score
I went over to feed and groom my horses yesterday and found ticks all around their tummies and a few on their behinds!!! I pulled all of them off that I could,, but I don't want them to get back on there. Donnie and I discussed it and our best option is to treat the horses rather than the ground. It's a 30 acre pasture and it's the only place we have to put them... so I'd rather treat my horses so they don't get on them. Question is... how?

Do they have that "Spot on" stuff for horses? Does it work well? A friend told me to go to the feed store and buy a bottle of Ivermectin spray, said that would keep them off,... I thought Ivermectin was dewormer?

All I know is I do NOT want icky ticks on my horses and I'd sure appreciate any advice ya'll may offer for this.

Thanks!!

Ticks are terrible here (just 1 so far this year, but I know they're coming). My farrier suggested putting some SEVEN dust in an old sock and just tapping it down their back, legs and belly. I think it helped last year.....certainly didn't stop them.....but a few less ticks is a good thing for those itchy lil ones.

You can get an equine tick oil, but I haven't tried it.

I bought a quart of permectrin (sp? Don't have the original bottle any more so can't check spelling) from the vet three years ago and put it in a spray bottle. I think it is made for cattle. Occassionally I spritz a little on the tail bone (ticks LOVE to hang out there) and along the mane area. Put a little on a cloth and rub belly and chest. I am VERY sparing with it. My horses have never had a reaction to it, but you'd want to watch your horses closely at first to see if it agreed with them.

I even put a tiny dab inside the top of the ears. It helps keep those horrible little flies out. Also found a tick inside an ear once so another reason to treat the ears.

Be careful squishing the ticks!!! You can get rocky mnt spotted fever from doing that if you have an open cut.

I HATE TICKS

yeah, my riding instrucort found a couple of ticks on her big horses. Ik that some fly spray keeps ticks off.

Pemethrin is usually one of the best tick repellants there is. I noticed in Country supply (beleive that was the one i was looking in) sell some Pemethrin fly sprays for horses....and was quite cheap actually

Try putting out salt blocks with sulfer in them. They are yellow in color. I don't have problems with ticks where I live now, but when I lived in Eastern Oregon, I had them for the horses and no ticks.

Try putting out salt blocks with sulfer in them. They are yellow in color. I don't have problems with ticks where I live now, but when I lived in Eastern Oregon, I had them for the horses and no ticks.
Hm... I'll do this and see if it helps some. Curiousity kills me though...why does this work? They don't like the sulphur?

I always thought horse blood was to rich for ticks to like... boy was I wrong! I do have to admit, this is the first time in all my life that I've seen ticks on horses.

Hm... I'll do this and see if it helps some. Curiousity kills me though...why does this work? They don't like the sulphur?

I always thought horse blood was to rich for ticks to like... boy was I wrong! I do have to admit, this is the first time in all my life that I've seen ticks on horses.
Don't know how it works, but my vet recommended it and it kept the ticks off. Our neighbors in Oregon used to just let their horse and pony run "free range" and they would often come visit my horse. They were always covered in ticks and my horse had none with access to his sulfer salt block. So I guess it worked somehow. I knew several people that used the sulfer salt blocks to keep ticks off.

Latest posts

Back