Thunder Cycle

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I think the thing with those racing-style carts is that the horse pulls them off the shafts. So the breast collar isn't really coming down across the shoulder points like in a normal harness - you can see the pony's shoulders are free, the breast collar just keeps the surcingle/saddle part from sliding back. There are no traces either! Just the shafts. I doubt this would be a good setup for longer drives.

Kelly, your cart looks awesome! I'm so impressed.
Exactly! The racing cart is not using the pony's shoulders at all. And they are not meant for long pleasure drives where we go up and down and all around :)

So I think the thing with those racing-style carts is that the horse pulls them off the shafts. So the breast collar isn't really coming down across the shoulder points like in a normal harness - you can see the pony's shoulders are free, the breast collar just keeps the surcingle/saddle part from sliding back. There are no traces either! Just the shafts. I doubt this would be a good setup for longer drives.

Kelly, your cart looks awesome! I'm so impressed.
This is the setup of my sulky, which was designed for miniature horse racing. I love it for quick exercise outings. But I am now understanding, after looking at the deconstruction of the Thunder cycle, the significance of the singletree/traces vs shaft.

here's a rig for a miniature horse

That’s a pretty pic Betwys... is that a pic of your family? It does look like it has traces connected to a single tree. Yep, there sure are so many different set ups for these little guys, all serving different purposes. Let’s see your setup.

That’s a pretty pic Betwys... is that a pic of your family? It does look like it has traces connected to a single tree. Yep, there sure are so many different set ups for these little guys, all serving different purposes. Let’s see your setup.
Not my rig - I have an ancient sulky rig with wire spoke wheels, wooden shafts and no swingle-tree, and a horse often used for carriage driving - a Morgan - and a carriage harness in webbing from an Amish harness-maker: but this trio has never met each other in action.

Thunder Cycle for the win!!! My hubby is converting a sulky for me with the same seat and bracket you've got. I was going to get a KBike but they are $3000 plus shipping!!!

I'm totally impressed with your cart. How has it been working for you the last year?

The price on the K bike has gone up! They use to be only $1400, wow!

I absolutely LOVE my bike! I dont even use my other cart anymore. It’s so easy to take apart and put in my van. It is perfect for trail driving, lightweight and the seat is so comfy. I love it so much that I am going to have hubby make me another one next year for my new horse Bentley. I will then have 2 bikes, so that each horse will have their own custom made bike! ♥️♥️

So excited for you! You should definitely post before and after pics so everyone can see 😍😍

And now I’ve renamed my bike to the Breezy bike! ……. And Bentley bike 🤣🤣

Latest posts

Back