Thunder Cycle

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it does have a singletree, it is under the seat. I think you’ll be able to see it better in this photo…
View attachment 45214
It finally dawned on me: if the traces are fixed to the cart, it will swing side to side as the horse pulls first with one shoulder then the other. The pivot of the swingle-tree in the middle keeps the cart pointed in the desired direction.

It finally dawned on me: if the traces are fixed to the cart, it will swing side to side as the horse pulls first with one shoulder then the other. The pivot of the swingle-tree in the middle keeps the cart pointed in the desired direction.
a single tree is super important. Without one the pony will become very sore and bruised in the shoulders. No matter the vehicle or the weight of the vehicle.

Critique my set up you guys… have any pointers for me?? See anything that I need to adjust??

Here is a silly video of the first time I drove Stormy in my new bike….

I would love to see you trot with this! That is when the balance is really tested :) personally I would want to have less weight in the shaft loops. Your pony is the ultimate decision maker for that. Zorro prefers a floating shaft and lets me know that by being more willing to go forward if the shafts are floating, versus being reluctant and less immediate when I ask for gait changes if I have weight in the shaft loops.

Looks great and you look so happy!!

I would love to see you trot with this! That is when the balance is really tested :) personally I would want to have less weight in the shaft loops. Your pony is the ultimate decision maker for that. Zorro prefers a floating shaft and lets me know that by being more willing to go forward if the shafts are floating, versus being reluctant and less immediate when I ask for gait changes if I have weight in the shaft loops.

Looks great and you look so happy!!

Thanks for the feedback Mindy!! I’ll try scooting the seat back another notch and see if that helps. 💕 I’ll try to get a video of us trotting. :)

Hubby is painting my bike today. Here it is in DP50LF Epoxy Primer.
0D4D5446-0C15-4126-89C4-A79E813C69C5.jpeg

Base coat is 2010 Ford Kona Blue:
058FA5C2-078E-4CF9-B528-027B806887F4.jpeg

Clear coat:
0CDCE77D-65C0-461E-AF73-E763033E2F4C.jpeg

Last edited:
So I think the thing with those racing-style carts is that the horse pulls them off the shafts. So the breast collar isn't really coming down across the shoulder points like in a normal harness - you can see the pony's shoulders are free, the breast collar just keeps the surcingle/saddle part from sliding back. There are no traces either! Just the shafts. I doubt this would be a good setup for longer drives.

Kelly, your cart looks awesome! I'm so impressed.

Latest posts

Back