Thunder Cycle

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

MindySchroder

Reaction score
So I think the thing with those racing-style carts is that the horse pulls them off the shafts. So the breast collar isn't really coming down across the shoulder points like in a normal harness - you can see the pony's shoulders are free, the breast collar just keeps the surcingle/saddle part from sliding back. There are no traces either! Just the shafts. I doubt this would be a good setup for longer drives.

Kelly, your cart looks awesome! I'm so impressed.
Exactly! The racing cart is not using the pony's shoulders at all. And they are not meant for long pleasure drives where we go up and down and all around :)

Marsha Cassada

Reaction score
So I think the thing with those racing-style carts is that the horse pulls them off the shafts. So the breast collar isn't really coming down across the shoulder points like in a normal harness - you can see the pony's shoulders are free, the breast collar just keeps the surcingle/saddle part from sliding back. There are no traces either! Just the shafts. I doubt this would be a good setup for longer drives.

Kelly, your cart looks awesome! I'm so impressed.
This is the setup of my sulky, which was designed for miniature horse racing. I love it for quick exercise outings. But I am now understanding, after looking at the deconstruction of the Thunder cycle, the significance of the singletree/traces vs shaft.

Kelly

Reaction score
here's a rig for a miniature horse
That’s a pretty pic Betwys... is that a pic of your family? It does look like it has traces connected to a single tree. Yep, there sure are so many different set ups for these little guys, all serving different purposes. Let’s see your setup.

betwys1

Reaction score
That’s a pretty pic Betwys... is that a pic of your family? It does look like it has traces connected to a single tree. Yep, there sure are so many different set ups for these little guys, all serving different purposes. Let’s see your setup.
Not my rig - I have an ancient sulky rig with wire spoke wheels, wooden shafts and no swingle-tree, and a horse often used for carriage driving - a Morgan - and a carriage harness in webbing from an Amish harness-maker: but this trio has never met each other in action.