Thumbelina's Title May be Stolen

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not think anyone is putting the foal down, just expressing their opinions. He is very cute, but, at least in the pictures and videos, his head is out of proportion to his body. Perhaps it is an illusion and only time will tell.

I am speaking from experience when I say they can look rather normal as babies, but as they grow up, it becomes more obvious that they are minimal dwarfs. Early on, when I first started in Minis, I had a really nice mare that I bred to this stallion. This stallion had two foals that spring. One died before birth and was a dwarf, the other was born here. He was oh so tiny, cute as a button and looked in every way normal, he too was well balanced at birth. (I have breed Morgans for over 10 years, so I knew what a normal foal should look like at that time.)

But, after a couple of months I noticed that his body was getting longer and his legs where not growing. He had a long neck and his head still looked somewhat normal. His legs where getting stiff and he had some trouble trotting, but not running.

As time went on, he got longer and longer in the body, his legs got stiffer and stiffer and by the time he was a year old, he was so out of proportion and could hardly walk. I had to put the poor thing down. John from Little Kings Farm informed me that he was indeed a minimal dwarf.

Yes, both the sire and the dam where no longer used for breeding.

I am not saying that this is what is in store for this little guy. I hope that he turns out to be a perfect little stud that does not produce dwarfs. I also hope that his owners enjoy every minute with him and keep us all updated on how he is turning out. A great educational tool for all of us.

I do not think anyone is putting the foal down, just expressing their opinions. He is very cute, but, at least in the pictures and videos, his head is out of proportion to his body. Perhaps it is an illusion and only time will tell.

I am speaking from experience when I say they can look rather normal as babies, but as they grow up, it becomes more obvious that they are minimal dwarfs. Early on, when I first started in Minis, I had a really nice mare that I bred to this stallion. This stallion had two foals that spring. One died before birth and was a dwarf, the other was born here. He was oh so tiny, cute as a button and looked in every way normal, he too was well balanced at birth. (I have breed Morgans for over 10 years, so I knew what a normal foal should look like at that time.)

But, after a couple of months I noticed that his body was getting longer and his legs where not growing. He had a long neck and his head still looked somewhat normal. His legs where getting stiff and he had some trouble trotting, but not running.

As time went on, he got longer and longer in the body, his legs got stiffer and stiffer and by the time he was a year old, he was so out of proportion and could hardly walk. I had to put the poor thing down. John from Little Kings Farm informed me that he was indeed a minimal dwarf.

Yes, both the sire and the dam where no longer used for breeding.

I am not saying that this is what is in store for this little guy. I hope that he turns out to be a perfect little stud that does not produce dwarfs. I also hope that his owners enjoy every minute with him and keep us all updated on how he is turning out. A great educational tool for all of us.

Extremely well said. Every word of it.

I agree with the "days old" comment. That head may appear large only because his frame is so small! 6 POUNDS! My cat weighs more!

I think he is adorable and very well marked. I do wish the owners the best of luck with him.

My Valor was 14 inches tall when she was born, not uncommon for foal to be that small. However Valor was not a dwarf by any means and she grew and was shown in AMHR and won ribbons. Never did get the chance to show her in AMHA. I plan on showing her again this year both in A & R.

But like I said I think this colt will grow alot by the time he's done growing. He really is adorable!
default_smile.png

Joyce

I agree with those who point out that he is not proportionate and his head is far too large for his body. I suspect that as he grows the concerns that I share with others will become evident.... and yes, you can discern some things at only a few days old - if not right at birth.

He is a cute little gaffer, though.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody here is dissing the breeders. They seem like very nice people who love their horses from what I can see of the interview. And I am sure that no matter how he turns out, this colt, just like every other breathing living thing, is a precious life. I am sure he will bring joy to those who know him. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on what they see, and time will tell what happens with the wee guy.

A friend of mine here had a dwarf born years ago that was smaller than Thumbelina at maturity, but she didnt choose to advertise it that way. She was on the local news- I still have the film clip on video tape. Little Golly passed during her second summer to the issues associated with dwarfism, and though a dwarf (obviously from birth) she was such a character- so smart. And she was the cutest little thing- you couldnt help but love her. Yes, she always brought a smile to our faces with her antics and just watching her figure things out.

i have to agree with Heather Glen. I have now had 2 dwarfs born by 2 differant stallions and 2 Differant mares. And with very good blood lines that I wont mention. I have also adopted 2. And they are very smart, sometimes I think they are smarter than the regular minis. But they do claim a special place in your heart. Their antics and personalities are just great. They give you many laughs. But I just had one put down that was only 4yrs. old and they do break your heart. But I do not wish to breed for a dwarf. And I would not trade them for the world. Lorie

I don't care what they say he had to weigh more than 6 pounds and yes I agree he does look odd.

I saw this post thinking I was going to be seeing a disaster of a colt. Saw GMA yesterday and I'm like whats wrong with him???

Yeah his head is a lil large for his body, BUT his teeth aren't going to get smaller, his brain isn't going to get smaller and his eyes aren't going to be smaller to get down to his equal size. His tiny head has to fit all of that in somewhere. Thats the problem when you are going for TINY horses, its so hard to get the proportioniate enough especially get outstanding heads, its very hard.

This colt is not a dwarf, he looks to be built together pretty nicely, just has a lil larger of a head and I'm sure by time, it will just get better once the rest of him grows up a bit. I'm sure he won't be the worlds smallest horse but its still pretty cool and I honestly don't think this publicity is a bad thing. Its not like Thumbelina at all. This horse isn't a dwarf, does not have crooked legs, undershot jaw or anything like that. He is a small put together horse that people have already fallen in love with.

Would I breed for something that tiny heck no. I want to actaully do something with my horse. Would I keep him a stud, probably not. I just think some people should not be cutting down this horse so harshly.

VERY well said JMS! I was embarrassed reading this topic and the other one pertaining to the colt. good grief people.

Congratulations to the owner of the cute little guy and thank you for giving the miniature horses some very good public attention! We've had a lot of visitors the past week and it has been fun educating them. I wouldn't have had the opportunity had the colt not been plastered all over the papers.

I think he is adorable. He is the most proportionate tiny foal I have ever seen. Yes right now his head is slightly larger but that is normal, I mean look in the video at his head in her hand..that part of my hand is not quite 4" across. I see the color placement on his head making it appear larger too.

I've seen many new foals this year, including mine, that are 18" 20" at birth and not as proportionate as him. Right now I see nothing dwarfy about him at all. Wouldn't it be nice to have a tiny record breaker on the books who is not a dwarf? I know a lot of people believe unnaturally tiny = dwarf and once he matures a little I may be proven wrong but I don't think he is a dwarf at all. Congratulations to his owners, I wish i lived close enough to go see him.

I have to say I agree with Debby.

I have read all the responses. But I have noticed over the past 22 years of raising minis and many foals, that often some of my tiny ones especially seem to have larger heads at birth and then as the body grows it catches up and is a nice correct proportional foal.

I for one have always wanted to breed for the tiniest of tiny correct horses ultimately. That to me has been what "miniature" meant and still does.

I do not think Einstein is a dwarf. I just think he is an adorable ultra small foal. :)

Susan O.

I don't think the majority thinks him a dwarf...it has just been noticed that he is disproportionate. Heck, even the folks "sticking up for him" are saying it.
default_laugh.png
That doesn't mean dwarf...like I said before, you can get horses of any and all breeds that are imperfect...no biggie; but they shouldn't be used for breeding.

I too, hope he will finish out looking better than he does now, most babies do. I read a story years ago about a weanling being so ugly the owner didn't really know what to do with him...and most of the folks on here...have horses related to him, and brag about it all the time.
default_biggrin.png

I know these breeders personally. They are the greatest, most knowledgeable, AND most helpfull people you will ever meet! If for a minute, they thought there was anything wrong or dwarfish with this foal, they surely wouldn't have him broadcasted all over national TV! I'm going to see him next week and I can't wait! I'm extremely proud to say, all my minis are from the bloodlines from this farm! Judy and larry are the greatest mini people you will ever meet!

I do not know the breeders- have not seen the foal in person nor am I an expert on dwarfism. I am just sad that for these breeders (who I realize opened themselves up for discussion by going on TV) have had their integrity questioned and their foal critiqued -I know my feelings would be hurt if I were them

not many of us would want to withstand the critiques of our own foals or horses with pictures posted here
default_no.gif

I finally got out of the sticks and down to my mom's where she has high speed. I watched the link and my only thought was what an adorable little colt and I would be thrilled with him.

My son was born with a huge head in comparison with his body. Well, he grew into it and looks like your average 13 year old boy.
default_wink.png

I do not know the breeders- have not seen the foal in person nor am I an expert on dwarfism. I am just sad that for these breeders (who I realize opened themselves up for discussion by going on TV) have had their integrity questioned and their foal critiqued -I know my feelings would be hurt if I were them

not many of us would want to withstand the critiques of our own foals or horses with pictures posted here
default_no.gif
Agreed
default_no.gif
I feel bad I'd probably be pretty devastated right now especially not asking for a critique
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back