Thrush remedies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drk

Reaction score
Hi everyone
default_saludando.gif

I'm looking to see what treatments work best with thrush. I've had several horses get it this past month and thought I'd check out what kind of suggestions everyone has. I'm using Thrush Buster but have been told a bleach solution is also good... Also, Any ideas on what brings Thrush on besides wet conditions? It's been quite dry here and I've not had this issue in the past so I'm thinking there could be something else going on ????

Thanks in Advance for your advice and have a Great Day !!!!!

Best product i have used is Thrusbuster...you can get it from TSC's, i got mine from the farrier. Its dark purple and i think it costs like $12-16 for a small bottle.

Clean out the hoof well, espcially around the frog and put a drop in each side of the frog and let it run down...be sure not to get any on your clothing as it stains.

Ive used in it on a broodmare and it worked well i found.

Found this Answer: It’s not known whether thrush is caused by a bacteria or a fungus but most agree that it persists in the soil. There is also speculation that the organism responsible exists in the horse itself. It thrives in damp anaerobic conditions—areas that don’t get oxygen, like the clefts of your horses’ hooves. A hoof filled with moist dirt and manure is susceptible to thrush. You may not notice thrush during very dry weather, but when wetter weather persists, the infection may increase.

Also this info:

Pete Ramey says, if what you put on the thrush you can't put it in your mouth you should not be putting it on the horses frogs. So keeping that uppermost in your head:

Pick out the feet, and then spray them with undiluted Apple Cider Vinegar.

Or spray them with Eliminator, a mild antibacterial lotion. Both are excellent.

Good Luck
default_wub.png

Hands down, ThrushBuster by Farnam is the best, most versatile, and cheapest product. If you've got a really persistent case, I must say that White Lightning (either the soak with vinegar, or the gel) is awesome.

Andrea

I second the suggestion for raw Apple Cider Vinegar.

I've had excellent results with hydrogen peroxide. I clean out the hoof well then pour it on and hold the hoof up for a little while, while it's fizzing.

About every other day for a week.

The same hydorgen peroxide I put in my mouth ('course I don't swallow it...)

A natural hoof care person told me to mix 2 ounces of concentrated Lysol liquid in 1 gallon of water and soak the foot in it. I haven't tried it yet, but thought I would post in case anybody else has tried this and found it works, he said the same thing, he wouldn't put anything on the foot he wouldn't put his hands in..

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm going to give some a try. Some great suggestions !!!!!!!

I use Listerine. Any flavor is good. I use it twice daily and usually by the end of the second day it is gone.

I've used Kopertox and 50/50 bleach/water. I do NOT recommend the Kopertox, you could definatley do better than it! It is dark green and will stain ANYTHING.
default_wacko.png
Plus it takes 5+ days to work.

I agree with Marsha and second the hydrogen peroxide. I put it in a spray bottle, spray it in his feet about once a week after I clean them (as a preventative), it bubbles up and kills whatever shouldn't be there. Inexpensive, it's safe and it works!
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back