Three More Positive SPLASHED WHITE Tests

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Reaction score
Lil Miracle Hopes and Dreams

Smokey Black Splashed White Tobiano Pinto, Homozygous for Tobiano, with Blue Eyes.

Hope has been tested and is Black (aa), Homozygous for Tobiano (TT), carries a single Cream gene (nCr); and is negative for the Frame (LWO), Sabino, Champagne, Pearl, and the Silver genes.

Results from UC Davis: Heterozygous for Splashed White N/SW-1

hope1.jpg
hope2.jpg

***************************************************************************************************************************

Cross Country Tequila Sunrise

Silver Buckskin Frame Splashed White Overo Pinto, with Blue Eyes.

She tested positive for the Frame (lwo), Silver, Cream, and Agouti (bay) gene, and negative for Sabino (sb1).

Results from UC Davis: Heterozygous for Splashed White N/SW-1

tequila1.jpg
tequila2.jpg

* Note: NO leg white on this mare.

**************************************************************************************************************************

Pacific Cloud Nine

Silver Black Splashed White Tovero Pinto, Homozygous for Tobiano and Homozygous for Splashed White, with Blue Eyes.

Cloud Nine has been tested and is Homozygous for Tobiano, carries a Silver gene, and is genetically a black horse. She is negative for the Frame (LWO) and Sabino (SB1) genes.

Results from UCD: Homozygous Splashed White (SW-1/SW-1)

cloud1.jpg
cloud2.jpg

Note: She has just one patch of color on her belly on the left side, and one black right ear. She also has eyeliner and black around her left eye. Otherwise she is all white with dazzling blue eyes.

******************************************************************************************************************************

Seven more horses were tested. Six of those have come back negative. One was inconclusive and will be retested. I will have results next week on that one.

I will try and post the negative ones tomorrow. Five of those tested negative have blue eyes. Busy day on the ranch. No time to post more today. I just received the test results, so the information on my website has not been updated yet. Sorry!

Thank you for sharing! Making me anxious to test a few of mine
default_smile.png

Thanks for posting - this is very interesting. I am curious to see if any of the negatives have blue eyes. I also wonder if Cloud Nine has enough color to be considered a Pinto by the PtHA.... be kind of ironic if they didn't, when she is HZ for TWO pinto patterns.

We are awaiting one test which was inconclusive and is being rerun, but of those six tests we have that are negative, five have blue eyes. Out of the 20 tests total run so far, eight tested negative had blue eyes, one is pending.

We have produced several pure white horses. We have a number of homozygous for black horses that are pintos carrying multiple pinto genes. These are often genetically black and in some cases, homozygous for black, though they are pure white in color. All have had blue eyes.

jasmine3.jpg
jasmine2.jpg

This filly was tested and is heterozygous tobiano and sabino. She is genetically a black. Both parents we now know carry splashed white and she will be tested in the next batch of horses. There is no pigment anywhere on this horse.

Horses like this are often listed on the breed pedigrees as solid white, which they are phenotypically. But they are filled with pinto genes and a valuable assest to a color breeding program.

Thanks for sharing again... I find all of the results very interesting... Plus I love seeing pictures of all your gorgeous horses!

We have produced several pure white horses. We have a number of homozygous for black horses that are pintos carrying multiple pinto genes. These are often genetically black and in some cases, homozygous for black, though they are pure white in color. All have had blue eyes.
This statement brought a question to my mind. I wonder if there are any pure white horses (NOT Gray) that have brown eyes?

This statement brought a question to my mind. I wonder if there are any pure white horses (NOT Gray) that have brown eyes?

Yes, I have seen several miniature horses like that and know of one alive now. I am guessing they are dominant white. What do you think?

I have suggested the people that own the mare have her tested. No grey in the pedigree.

Homozygous Sb1's are often completely white and will often have brown eyes. In fact I believe all maximum white sabino's that tested to be homozygous Sb1 in the initial Sb1 research had brown eyes.

Most of the white-born Walking Horses in the old stud books, which would presumably be homozygous Sabino1, had dark eyes. There were some that had a blue eye, or even two blue eyes, but those were far less common. I would have to run the numbers to be sure, because it has been a long time since I did that research, but I would guess somewhere between 5-10% of the white-born Walkers (born during the period of the first half-dozen or so stud books, at least) had at least one blue eye.

Just what caused that, if it was anything other than Sabino1, is open for debate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joanne I just have to say ..whatever the colour you have some fantastic horses!!!!

Yes, we have a (non-registered) TWH that is pure white...we suspect m,aximum sabino, although have not tested him. He has bother brown eyes, but has pink pigment. The only non-pink skin he has, is a little mottling on his skin (no colored hairs) on his chest, in his ears, and I think a little on his butt, and this is very typical of a maximum white sabino. He can be seen on my web site..."Whitey" is his name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cross Country Tequila Sunrise

Silver Buckskin Frame Splashed White Overo Pinto, with Blue Eyes.

She tested positive for the Frame (lwo), Silver, Cream, and Agouti (bay) gene, and negative for Sabino (sb1).
Ok, just had to share this. Belinda must have really liked this name because I have an ASPC mare named:

Cross Country Tequila Sunrise!!!

CrossCountryTequilaSunrise2_small.jpg

Latest posts

Back