Thoughts on getting a second dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
This has been playing on my mind for about two weeks now, i have a shih twu female, Sassy, who i have had since July 07'...she is my love child, my best friend and totally spoiled and she loves that, she is a young playful dog. My mother, adopted a chinease crested last winter, he passed away about a month ago, he was older so sassy would never really play with him, we adoped him because of his age knowing no one else would have. My sister got two shih tzu's out of the same litter as my Sassy, they "grew up"...while sassy is still very much like a kid, playful and just like a little kid.

Ive been wanting to get another dog, for me and for sassy. Sassy has no one to really play with, her brothers are not playful at all infact pay no attention to her antics. I just love her to so much and i dont want her to have to "share" me...as i will admit to spoiling her ever so slightly, her happyness is my #1 priority. But, at the same time...i want her to have a friend to play with.

Ive been talking with a chinease crested breeder locally, i picked out a puppy that the breeder said was very playful and a total ham and i think Sassy would love that. He is house trained and been well cared for, the breeders he is coming from i trust very much. Like i said, i just dont know if Sassy would be able to "share" me....she and I are very attached. I just would love to give another puppy a great forever loving home to share some love with and sassy a buddy too.

I'm very open to opinions on this.

I say that if your gut says its right to just go for it
default_smile.png

We have 5 dogs total but only 3 in the house. We started out with just my female pom (in the house) and we decided to breed her to my mom's male pom. Well that resulted in two male puppies which we kept. My female is VERY spoiled and at first we wondered if she would adapt well -- she is still spoiled and at times she will get sassy with them when she has to share us or her things but for the most part it has really improved her disposition and she gets to play with them all day when we are gone
default_smile.png

I think it's good to have more than one dog to keep each other company. We got Willow for Winston back when I stopped taking him to work. Then we adopted two adults later... Then we got Kelsey so Maggie would have a big dog to keep her company (they are outside during the day in non-rainy or snowy weather). Dogs are a lot of company to each other. They do get jealous of attention, but I think if you are gone much from the house, it's worth it for the company they have. Also, I think it is smart to get a boy since she's a girl. That seems to work out best!

PS nothing's happier than having a new puppy
default_wub.png

nothing's happier than having a new puppy
I couldn't agree more.

But, since Sassy is your baby don't be surprised if she's reluctant to accept competition for your attention even if it is in the form of a "play mate". When we found Jodie and I brought her home Sunny had his knickers in a knot for 2 weeks. He wanted absolutely nothing to do with her and, her being a puppy, she just wouldn't take no for an answer when she wanted to play with him. After that first 2 weeks they're great pals but it was definitely a nerve wracking 14 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Leeana...

You have cabin fever too? Inside and bored and needing that something more to make life interesting.........well, I wish someone

had warned me....... What was I thinking???? I have not slept a whole night since bringing Lola home! She is up right now chewing my toes, bouncing around, peeing wherever and whenever the spirit moves her......WHAT WAS I THINKING?????

I thought Coco was a handful.....I should have brought Coco in the house -- it would have been easier. OK....so I am exaggerating

just a little. If the puppy you are looking at is housebroken you probably won't be as frustrated as I am this morning. In a little while when Lola is tired she will curl up on my chest and be a sweetheart and I love her dearly but right now I wish someone had told me to think long and hard...... Puppies bring a whole new set of issues.

My old dog is very jealous but she is not sleeping all day and hiding under the chair and gee, all of the sudden she is not stone deaf anymore. She hears me call for the puppy and comes running and wants to be part of the action, so that is a very good thing. The good outweighs the bad I guess, but you will have more than just double the work in caring for two because you deal with the pack concept of pecking order and attention seeking. The age difference will make a difference....17 years and 10 weeks is quite a spread but 2 playful puppies would be quite an addition to your quiet household.

Chinese crested sound real interesting though......be sure to post pictures.....I know you will bring it home.....you love it already I bet. Best of Luck! Pie you.

We just recently got a new puppy and even tho we had two dogs before it was really an adjustment for our pug. The one we had (a peke) passed the day after Thanksgiving at 17 years of age, she slept most of the time, would every once in a while after coming in from outside ask for some special attention but the most part she slept on her bed. She did not like to be picked up since she had arthritis. So when we brought in a new puppy who required a lot of attention our pug was not thrilled. We just made sure every time we petted the puppy we had our hands on the pug. This has worked very well and now they have both adjusted to each other and peace reigns in our house. Bunny (the pug) is older and has been given the right to protect herself from big boxer puppy feet and from Angel (the boxer) taking her treats from her. Angel now respects a growl. Be sure and let them establish a pecking order, things are not equal.
default_smile.png
Consistency is also a plus.

Thank you for your opinions on this, i know it would be "healthier" for Sassy....she is just very "particular"...i am going to go for it, i think it will be best for her (even though, i garentee she will not be happy at all at first) but also give another puppy a loving home
default_wub.png

And Linda, you just may be right :)

Growing up we always only had one dog at a time and they were very family oriented and part of our family like one of us kids. They didnt seem to miss not having another dog to play with as they got plenty of attention from the family.

I find that sometimes a second dog doesnt bond as well, as they want to hang out with the other dog more than being with family... I have two now, as one was a rescue I hadnt counted on, but couldnt leave him in the conditions he was in... but in the future, will probably just stick with one.

What a dilemna. Devin is old and grumpy and have never played with Tracey or Amy. Tracey could care less, she had me. But Amy (pup-zilla) is very different and insists on playing 23 hours a day and she wears me out to a frazzle. She just never stops and I mean she never stops. She's always got my leg or her foot in my head ready to rock and roll around the clock. When Dan comes home I'm like thank god because they get down and wrestle and do all that ruff stuff and she thrives on that and I get a break. I keep thinking when Devin goes to heaven we might just get another GSD pup to keep Amy amused if she doesn't kill it first I swear........ I'm getting way too old to be getting tackled and ambushed by her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to be on the opposite side of things. I got a second dog after I got Mitzy as i wanted her to have a buddy. SHe and I are very attached. IT did not got well at all, and I ended up rehomeing the other dog(he has an amazing home now). When MItzy was older she did fine with other dogs and there are now 4 of them. SHe does ok with them, doesnt fight, doesnt really play tho. Just lets the others hump her all the time. HOwever she is still very attached to me and the now the other humans.

IF you are to get a second dog I would get one on trial first. I would hate to see have to rehome one shortly after getting the other.

A couple of months ago I got a Cardigan Corgi as a companion to my Pemmie. Henry loves everyone, two and four legged alike (the boarding place uses him as a dog therapy dog; he makes the homesick pups happy). When I came home with his "sister" it was immediate love for both of them
default_wub.png
. They still have their individual activities, but I feel a lot better when I am gone for a few hours. They are just a month apart in age. I had not intended on bringing Kate home. I was planning on bringing her brother. Kate was "the one" as soon as I saw her. She is gentle and kind, yet wild and crazy. I would suggest letting your "old" dog meet the "new" dog if at all possible. It could not have worked better for me, but that might have been just incredible luck. Then again, we are talking corgis and they tend to want, and love, company.
default_yes.gif

We have seven dogs and haven't had a problem bonding with any of them. I saw a pic. of your new little one, think he's adorable and wish you all the best.

Well I have 5 chihuahua's and 2 boxers and with the exception of the female chihuahua who is the princess and thinks her job in life is to keep her brothers in line they all get along great and I wouldn't change a thing. The good thing about small dogs is I can fit all 5 chihuahuas in my lap at one time.

Tammie~

Latest posts

Back