Thought she was pregnant!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbiesshelties

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a mare that tested positive twice with Wee-foal. Her 340 due date was on the 26th. No bag no signs that she is going to foal. Would it be safe to put her out with the stallion I am going to bred her with or should I wait longer?

Thanks in advance.

Debbie

Is she showing any pre-foaling signs?

Seems there have been several with longer pregnancies this year, so I'd probably wait a little bit longer; 340 is just an average, some go less, but by the same token some go longer.

My horses generally go 340-342 days on the average...so my answer would be absolutely not.

I had one Applaoosa mare go 16 days over...and she didn't bag up much till just about her due date.

Could be a false pregnancy, but I wouldn't think it worth the chance of hurting your mare, and/or losing a foal just to breed her.

l'm not sure about the Wee Foal test but we had DotCom go over her due date by about 20 days and l told my daughter l was throwing her back out in the field and l swore l saw her show heat to a stallion ...she had already been scanned twice had early and late blood tests done all neg. never looked in foal gained any weight you could go by made no bag didn't drop never stretched never saw a flutter or any momement NOTHING she acted and looked like a barren mare. l called my daughter on the Friday to tell her l was putting her out that day and she screamed and carried on NO NO NO she's going to have a baby l just know she is. l said okay l'd wait till after the weekend but that was it come Monday she's out of the barn l need that space for another mare..no sooner said and she had a filly Eddie the next night...good thing to because she needed help out of the bag or would have been lost. So you never can tell
default_biggrin.png

l'm not sure about the Wee Foal test but we had DotCom go over her due date by about 20 days and l told my daughter l was throwing her back out in the field and l swore l saw her show heat to a stallion ...she had already been scanned twice had early and late blood tests done all neg. never looked in foal gained any weight you could go by made no bag didn't drop never stretched never saw a flutter or any momement NOTHING she acted and looked like a barren mare. l called my daughter on the Friday to tell her l was putting her out that day and she screamed and carried on NO NO NO she's going to have a baby l just know she is. l said okay l'd wait till after the weekend but that was it come Monday she's out of the barn l need that space for another mare..no sooner said and she had a filly Eddie the next night...good thing to because she needed help out of the bag or would have been lost. So you never can tell
default_biggrin.png

I'd wait a little bit longer.

Have you fed her grain and then watched and or FELT for the foal?

Being a maiden, you may want your vet to check...... We have a mare who's an old pro and is giving us fits too.

Hi

It would not hurt to put her with the stallion now. Most stallion that pasture breed would NOT be interested in her at all. Just watch her daily, two times a day of any changes in her bag, etc.

Most stallion that pasture breed will let you know when "they are ready" to breed. Some mares will tease the stallion just before foaling and be very pregnant when they do, so just keep an eye.

Good luck.............maybe a foal next year - worst case.

Beth

Latest posts

Back