Those of you with miniatures..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniaturebrats

Reaction score
Obviously i don't mean ride the miniatures (well you could..i guess...)

But those of you who have miniatures, do you have other horses you ride? Or do you not ride?

I've got my two little boys and i've also got 13hh cob who is my riding plod! And also a 12.2 yearling who i brought as a riding prospect (obviously when he is older) but i don't ride everyday. Currently i ride once a week and my pony is turning into a lune, in fact possibly going to get him a sharer to a)be better on him to get out of the field more and b) financial help!

I'm not a big time riding in fact, i'm quite a nervous rider (this coming from someone who's just brought yearling to break in a few years..) but i'm not a nervous rider, which never makes sense to other people!
rolleyes.gif

What bout others who have the little ones...

I have Shetlands and yes, I do have one riding horse though she's getting up there in age and I don't ride anywhere near as much as I used to.

we have a modern shetland that my son rides named patches. Last year was horrible but this year they are both doing much better!!! I am considering buy myself a riding horse as i cant stand it when hes riding her. I grew up trail riding and I really miss it

I have a Tennessee Walking Horse mare that I ride. Wish I had more time to ride, but also have a back injury from December that is still healing. When I do ride her I keep her at a walk to save my back. (broken L4 vertebrae healing)

I have a pony 11.2hh Appaloosa.

(I let a little girl come ride her. She got away from the girl's mother who let go of the leadline. I went across the pasture to get her and decided to get on and ride her back. Bad idea. She spooked and reared under a tree. I had to bale off backward to avoid the pony coming over on top of me. I landed on a tree root and broke my back)

And, I have a new mini colt. Cute as can be. Will mature "B" size.

My Webpage

Hi KrazyHorses - do you have a compression fracture? I was thrown as a teen and have a permenant 20% compression of my T-12 and the T-10 - L-2 graphed together. It took a couple of years before I could comfortably ride again and even now I need a horse with a really smooth gait or else it jars my back.

Lewella

I don't ride anymore. Used to.. just gave away my holsteiner gelding (gave my half to his co-owner) as I don't expect our new place to be suitable for a full size horse. He was to come to me at "retirement".. and I was hoping to drive him..

Used to do low level Combined Training, Dressage and hunter/jumper. Also did pole bending and barrel racing as a teenager. Trail riding is my favorite.. next to driving.

Can't beat the minis for driving however..

JJay

Hi Lewella,

Yes, it was a compression fracture (L4) (12/23/03).

I rode my Tennessee Walker yesterday and it has been a while since I have been on her. She started off OK, but then went into a little bucking act. I don't know what that was all about since she's never done that before. I think they call it "cold backed" bucking? Anyway, I thought I was just going to walk her around the pasture a little not go to a rodeo. My back didn't like that very much but I stuck it out because I know she needs saddle time.

When she's ridden regularly, yes, she has a nice comfortable gait that is not hard on my back at all. I even rode her the week after I broke my back (waiting for x-ray results & didn't know it was broke). I had to use a small table to stand on to mount, but she has such a smooth walk it was not painful to sit in the saddle.

Well we have a bunch of riding horse at the farm however I do not ride anymore except very occasionally......same reason....I had the L4 disc removed in feb of 2003 it had burst and wrapped around my spinal cord....I also know that L5 is about 30-50% compressed and one othe is also compressed been like that since I was 16 it is a genetic thing)...however since my surgery I feel so great that I really have to watch it so I don't overdo it
whistling.gif
I really need to get back on a regular program of PT...but hmmm there is just never any time...I think I will sign up for the summer water aerobics class just to try and keep in shape a little
tongue.gif

Runamuk,

were yours all disc problems?

I am afraid to find out if I damaged any of mine.

They only told me that I broke the bone (vertebrae - L4).

Disc trouble is probably just a short trip down the road for me. . .

Yes mine is all due to degenerative disc disease first diagnosed at age 16
upset.gif
then many years of riding, training,etc...(getting myself whooped on by big horsies) ...one of the discs finally went ...not sure how long it had been blown we knew it was "bulging and a slight tear" 2 years before the surgery mostly because I had shooting pains down my leg etc...really long story really long
whistling.gif
when the doctors here discovered it had blown I had no feeling in my foot, could not stand upright, had almost NO digital pulse and it took 2 months after that to get me in for surgery
whistling.gif
it has been amazing to actually NOT have back pain I had lived with it almost daily for years (like from 22 to age 34) eeks just gave away how old I really am
tongue.gif
I am lucky I am not paralyzed I was the talk of the surgical unit they still cannot believe I walked in to that surgery when the surgeon got in there he had to actually go find pieces of the disc that had wrapped around my spinal cord.

I have been a really bad girl lately by not keeping up with my exercises and my back has been aching so I have to get back into the routine ...with summer coming I figure water aerobics at the pool would be a good choice
biggrin.gif

sorry for the rambling
shutup.gif

Yikes, those compression fractures really hurt! I got mine eight years ago thanks to one of those nutty appaloosas.
wacko.gif
Still in a lot of pain pretty often. I've had several riding horses since then, and have even trained a two year old. But all it takes is a little spook, and I'm out of commission for days, sometimes weeks! And I've had some really good luck with my minis in driving classes, so I don't ride anymore. I really missed it at first, but now I have no desire to ride again!

I guess I should probably get back to the doctor to see if more could be done for me, but I've heard some people say they were worse after having surgery, so I've been a little chicken to do anything.
whistling.gif
Have any of you had bad luck with surgery?

I think in my case having the bones grafted together really made a huge difference. I'm betting if I would not have had that done I would probably have some disk issues in that region.

Isn't it amazing when horse people start talking how many have actually had compression fractures of some degree? Mine was on the really bad end of the spectrum and I imagine if I would not have had surgery I would be practically crippled by now.

Haven't ridden in awhile. Yes, had problems with the back too... L4... who could of guessed? Mine's from a car accident though. When I do ride, I better have a good prescription available for pain later that evening.

However, my kids ride our mini. He has a hunt saddle and the kids just love riding him, although we keep it very limited. Now that summer's here and schools out next week, I'm sure that we'll be doing more trail stuff in the wooded area behind where we live with out big guy. I hike and one of the kids rides . He's gotten so used to our area, nothing spookes him anymore at all. Plus he's child scream proof... so I think I'm making progress.. Lol..

I ride-- but not very often! I have two grade Paint/Arab/QH's, one has TB in him too.
whistling.gif
Half brothers. I love to go trail riding-- we go into the mountains and work up to six-hour rides, easily-- but my main trail riding buddy is pregnant and won't be riding this year, so I'm thinking of sending my riding geldings up to my brother-in-law's place in Wyoming and let them wander and graze at will on his 100 acres or so for the summer. They would be happy and I would be happy that they are happy, and could devote all of my time for the moment on the minis. Ok like I don't pretty much already, but I wouldn't have to feel guilty about it, lol!
wink.gif
I'll never sell my boys even when I stop riding though, the oldest has been with me since before he was conceived, and he is now 16.

both me and my 18 yr old T/B are retired... i used to ride dressage and hunter jumpers for years and he was a A circuit Eq horse.. he has bowed tendons and is lame half the time lives on bute
wacko.gif
me i have a disc issue in my neck and no insurence so one fall could be the end of me.... so we both sit around and eat and think about the good ol days

I used to ride alot, But miniatures are my favourite breed and I dont ride no more.

-Kris

I ride performance (padded) walking horses , and have several trail horses at home. We have 4 padded horses at the trainers, so each and every weekend, have to travel somewhere for a show. I never ride at home, I always plan to, have them shoed every 8 weeks, then never ever ride the ones at home. They live the life of leisure.

I got into minis several years ago, to take a break from the big horses, now I have gotten back into the big horses, so I have taken a break from showing the minis. I would love to have several out with a trainer, but with 4 big horses out( my pocketbook will only allow 1 mini).

I have three horses. Two APHA mares and 1 grade gelding. The gelding belongs to my 11 yr old who has been running barrels and all the speed events since she was in kindergarden. Hard to find those special kid horses! I ride on a regular basis, working with the 4-H kids, going on trail rides and at the areana. Been toying with the idea of running barrels again, but then again don't like being the center of attention, lol!!! I have raised one of my Paint mares from a yearling and is now a 4 year old and doing great, she is my dream horse. Now I want to teach my Shetland to drive, so new adventure, lol!!!!

Jamie
tongue.gif

I ride all the time. My husband and I have three Qh Geldings, plus two head of ranch horses and a colt that he is starting for a guy in town. I usally help Cody around here horse back moving cattle and stuff since he would have to do it himself if I didn't help. I used to run barrels and poles quite a bit but my barrel horse that I absolutley loved was sold when I had to leave him at my brothers for a month when we were moving. (long story). Armstrong, one of the horses we have now would make a great barrel horse if I could ever find a place around here that was flat and didn't have any holes or rocks. He has had a little bit of training on them though, just needs a LOT of finishing. I grew up riding horses before I could even walk, I guess it is no wonder I married a cowboy, huh?.
whistling.gif
I still have my old kid horse, who is dog gentle but he has been in semi retirement until we have kids or wheneve I feel like clowning around and trying my english saddle out. None of the others are gentle enough to let me put it on them.

Well, I have been riding since I was 2,so, nearly 61 years later--I still ride, just not as much as I once did! Strictly trail riding nowadays--been there, done that in nearly every(Western)way there is, did a bit of English, but it wasn't my "cup of tea".

I hope to train my APHA mare to drive; she is a bodacious trail horse(just wish she were smaller; she's 15 hh., I would love it if she were 13.2-14 hh! I NEVER liked "big" horses, and these days, getting on is a problem, what with arthritis and the aches and pains of aging!) I will hang onto a riding horse until I am absolutely certain that I won't ride anymore.

Latest posts

Back