Those of you with miniatures..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Know what you mean about those tall horses Margo. I raised a quarter horse from a weanling and he was in really poor shape when we got him. Thought for sure he was going to stunned. Well to make a long story short, at the age of 4 he was 15.3 hds, ugh, so much for my stunned colt, lol.
whistling.gif
Rode him for a year but darn I'm short, he was tall, so Amigo went to the Border Patrol Horse Patrol and is a full fledge agent now for the Government.
thumbup.gif
Thank goodness my two paint mares have matured out at 14.3 and 15 hds.

Jamie
smile.gif

I'm late on answering to this post, but before Miniature Horses I was actively involved with riding.

I started riding when I was four/almost five years old. Neither of my parents are "horsey", but I had a desire to be around horses ever since I figured out what they were. Finally when we moved to a more rural area I begged for riding lessons and a horse of my own. I began riding and quickly began showing in lead-line, equitation, walk, walk/trot, walk/trot/canter -- the simple English pleasure rail type classes. When I was older and got some more experienced I moved up to hunter and jumper.

The judges loved me and I was always in ribbons. I have very few ribbons that are not a champ., reserve, 1st or 2nd. I even had other trainers and riding instructors ask to sponsor me or ask me to transfer over to their team.

FINALLY, My parents felt at age 12 I was ready to have a horse of my very own. I had dreams of a tall, young, hot headed Thoroughbred, Warmblood or something else along those lines. To make a long story short I ended up with a 40+ year old, mixed breed, 13.2hh. pony that we ended up rescuing from slaughter. Samson definitely wasn't what I had dreamed of or expected as a first horse, but if you ask me I wouldn't have traded him for the highest value show horse out there. That little horse taught me so much more than I could have ever hoped for. Not only did I learn a lot about horse care, but he taught me a lot about myself as well. Sadly, he is no longer with us but his memories will be cherished forever.

When I got Samson I quit showing completely. I also stopped taking riding lessons and I wasn't on a horse for several months until I bought my Thoroughbred gelding, but I still never showed. I also bought a Paint filly as a weanling and started her under saddle myself.

Unfortunately, I don't own any large horses now. I do hope to in the near future. I would love to get back into showing (Miniature and/or big horses), but I'm still trying to justify if it's worth it.

I don't ride anymore, I've had M.E for 17yrs and slowly lost the ability to grip. After my Arab mare turned herself inside out to walk me home ( couldn't get off, couldn't walk, couldn't grip, kept slipping!!) I decided it wasn't fair on her and stopped. She was such a 100% genuine animal, but walking was not in her natural vocabulary!! I bought a Sec B Welsh foal, thinking I might manage her, but the Arab raised her and, altho' I did get her saddle trained, she was too much for me too. Do not wish to offend anyone but most of the riding horse I see I would not put my leg over !! Once you've ridden an Arab you don't go back. The mare was put down a few years back and the Welsh mare's gone to Pony Club, where she is doing all the mad things she loves with kids who are fearless. Mind you, I keep looking at my 38" mare and thinking, 'she should be saddle and harness trained, she's wasted as a broodmare' Maybe, maybe!!!

Latest posts

Back