this summer white spot on 12 yr gelding?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdtexas

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]Cowboy has developed a very strange spot of white. I'll get a picture and post; but anyone ever had a spot of color appear from no where? It's at the top of his neck, opposite side of mane, and it's about a half dollar or slightly larger round spot of pure white colored hair. He is a minimal expression sabino chestnut (although his papers state red/strawberry roan). [/SIZE]

No injury or any reason that I can think of. His sire is Del's Cowboy, solid palomino and dam is also solid palomino.(Landry's star brite)

He has NO other spots of color on him. He is in my avatar; but very small picture.

I just thought it so odd that this white spot has appeared this year??

He is 12 years old and has never a any white spots on him. strange!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
kdtexas said:
[SIZE=14pt]Cowboy has developed a very strange spot of white. I'll get a picture and post; but anyone ever had a spot of color appear from no where? It's at the top of his neck, opposite side of mane, and it's about a half dollar or slightly larger round spot of pure white colored hair. He is a minimal expression sabino chestnut (although his papers state red/strawberry roan). [/SIZE]
No injury or any reason that I can think of. His sire is Del's Cowboy, solid palomino and dam is also solid palomino.(Landry's star brite)

He has NO other spots of color on him. He is in my avatar; but very small picture.

I just thought it so odd that this white spot has appeared this year??

He is 12 years old and has never a any white spots on him. strange!!!

441930[/snapback]

bump; any one else have a spot of color appear that has never appeared before? He is 12 yrs old and has lots of white mixed hair/roaning type; but never just a solid white spot appear???

Ahhhh...your horse is probably suffering from circular leukotrichia.

biggrin.gif
Sounds bad, huh? Translated it means spots of white hair. The only breeds I've seen it in are chestnut QH and minis, and they come and go. One year my mare Sunny had over a dozen spots and I couldn't show her in solid color classes! Last year she had none, and this year she has one again. Her sire does the same thing. The skin is totally normal underneath, and I've never found a good explanation. If someone out there has one, let me know.

We have a jet black mare about 8 years old that now has 3-4 small 1/4" round white spots on one shoulder. they weren't there last summer and showed up after shedding this spring. There are no other white hairs any where.

Is this same thing?

Mark

Dr Pam, you are saying this is something that comes and goes? There was a dun gelding around here years ago (QH) that started losing pigment in spots, only his got progressively worse. Didn't hurt anything as far as I know, but the last time I saw him he was beginning to look like an app.
smile.gif

Jan

Dr Pam, any chance it could be a "reaction", allergic or otherwise, to vit/min or lack thereof ? My uncle had white spots develop in his hair one year and was told it was a reaction to nickel (I think), well some metal, which may have been in the water. His did go away over time. Of course, you'd think such would affect all horses at your farm, but not necessarily so.

I have a sabino who developed small odd spots along her back (hoping for lace!) and they have stayed. Then, a white circular patch...started about quarter size and is now fifty cent sized. But, been there 2 yrs. Personally, I thought it was just her sabino as another of my sabinos has a great deal of roaning and obvious "spots". Again, I felt just their patterning. Maybe not.

Interesting thread. The horse in the foreground is a QH-- our Kya. (pretty, huh?
wub.gif
)

Anyway, near her withers you can see 2 white spots. We've only had her a few months so I don't know if it comes and goes. Is this what you're talking about, Dr. Pam?

kyagrazeLsm.jpg

Enlarged pic

kyaspot.jpg

[SIZE=8pt]The horse in the background belongs to someone else and is 20+ and a hard keeper. She doesn't have a spot-- I don't know what that is on her withers.[/SIZE]

near her withers you can see 2 white spots.  Is this what you're talking about, Dr. Pam?
Exactly!

I have a sabino who developed small odd spots along her back (hoping for lace!) and they have stayed. Then, a white circular patch...started about quarter size and is now fifty cent sized. But, been there 2 yrs.
Nope, it's not the sabino thing we're talking about, although I had one of those too, and his spots/patches didn't go away sither. Plus, they weren't perfectly circular.

Dr Pam, any chance it could be a "reaction", allergic or otherwise, to vit/min or lack thereof ?
It doesn't seem to be any sort of allergic reaction, but the mineral/trace element idea is worth thinking about. The sire is in CA, my mare has been in CA, IA, and now TX, and she has had them come and go in all three states. I had my fellow veterinarian who works at ISU look at her when she popped out with the dozen plus, and she's the one who pegged them circular leukotrichia. Actual term.

Dr Pam, you are saying this is something that comes and goes? There was a dun gelding around here years ago (QH) that started losing pigment in spots, only his got progressively worse. Didn't hurt anything as far as I know, but the last time I saw him he was beginning to look like an app
Nope Jan, what you're describing is a depigmentation problem that is possibly due to allergies or hypersenitivity--or he was on a medication that caused problems when he was exposed to sunlight.

We have a jet black mare about 8 years old that now has 3-4 small 1/4" round white spots on one shoulder. they weren't there last summer and showed up after shedding this spring. There are no other white hairs any where.
Is this same thing?

Mark
Maybe--just because I haven't seen it in black horses doesn't mean it can't happen--especially if she is heterozygous for black (carries a red gene)

" He is a minimal expression sabino chestnut (although his papers state red/strawberry roan).

No injury or any reason that I can think of. His sire is Del's Cowboy, solid palomino and dam is also solid palomino.(Landry's star brite)"

corect me if im wrong, but if both of his parents are solid, he cant be a min. exp. sabino

unless one of his parents is also a min. exp. sabino
unsure.gif
right?
wacko.gif

so he is most likely a chestnut roan. or I dont know

I had a red gelding with 2 solid parents(no appy or pinto background), who by the age of 6 had good 20-30 spots on his neck and butt, ranging from a peny size to 3" in diemiter. along with that he was roaning out on a couple areas
wacko.gif

people were asking if its the same horse
rolleyes.gif

Interesting thread. I bet you could really scare people by telling them their horse had that condition until you explained what it was. Anyhow, I was just going to mention about those full-sized horses, sometimes a horse will have a white spot in the wither area that is actually a scar from a saddle sore. I don't know if that would be the case with the horses pictured, but it does happen.
sad.gif

Wow, Dr. Pam, I'm soooo glad you explained your possible diagnosis; that medical condition is scary sounding!!!!

And thanks for everyone's input. I'll get a picture very soon, I promise. These horses are so very interesting; a day hardly goes by that I don't learn something new.

Thanks again everyone.

Latest posts

Back