This maybe off the subject

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equinesr2blvd

Reaction score
about starting a miniature horse rescue program, and you've mentioned getting all the paperwork done and cost etc. I went and got The Big Fat Book of Free Money For Everyone by Matthew Lesko. And discovered where I an request the nonprofit forms etc at alot less then what a lawyer wants, and the IRS link that will help fill out and help you get your nonprofit statis.

It also gives links where you can find grants, donations, funding for nonprofit groups.

I see that it's alot of paper work, but with the IRS having a 24/7 help line and link, I think it's going to help out a great deal.

Have any of you thought about looking at the book and seeing what help you can get with the 501c and other IRS paperwork and state paperwork??

all of our state paperwork was done at the very beginning. we are now struggling to finish our 501c3. I honestly dont know why it has been so hard for us but we have met with trouble and delays at every turn. You cannot apply for grant money until that is done.

we do have many sponsors thank goodness that donate to us and lend their support --- most of them from lil beginnings!

YEP THE GOOD OL FREE MONEY BOOK.....something you will discover is one alot of the programs no longer exist....two many of the programs have very very specific criteria....three get ready to possibly stand in line for years waiting for your turn.....

I honestly would not be tempted to do my nonprofit paperwork myself at least not the 501C3 these organizations come under huge scrutiny by the IRS and really you want it drawn up by an attorney and you really need to have an accountant that knows non profit tax law...........

KayKay I do know it took 5 years for one group to get their non profit finalized it is a long and tiring proccess but in the end it is worth it (I think)
rolleyes.gif

there are so many rules pertaining to non profit that it is far better to go slow than rush and end up in a bind........

I fully agree with you Rori. It is a huge process, and one that can not be rushed in any way. And the legalities. Laughs, even those that specialize in doing 501c3 don't always get it right. It sure isn't any fun either, but like you, I think it will be worth it once it is done.
yes.gif

I filled out my own form 1023 for a non profit 501©(3) and got it approved pretty quickly. I didn't really think it was that hard. The IRS publishes a free booklet that you can download from the web (publication 557) that takes you through each step.

If you need help you can e-mail me and I would be glad to help you. You need to apply to your state first and I can't help you with that because each state is different but that part is really simple. You can go to bizfilings.com and for a very reasonable fee they will set you up in your state as a not-for-profit corporation in your state. This will include your corporate seal and your EIN number and all your state filing fees. Then once you get that you send in your 1023 application and $150.00 and you will either be approved or not.

Horse hugs what was your non profit for?.....My only experience is from the state of Washington and it was with people trying to set up rescue's.......one rescue/animal shelter got shut down and their non profit yanked because their records were not correctly kept as far as donations and paid employees vs volunteers, etc.......now I know a non profit association such as a club or something similar is actually a breeze to file with our state (IDAHO) if you happen to have time to do paperwork (and money for the fee's).......

Runamuk,

My non profit was and is a miniature horse rescue. I have been doing it for almost 4 years now. The IRS hasn't given me any problems but then I don't pay anyone a salary. All services, including mine, are donated. I let my donors know that not a penny of their donations go to anyone's salaries but all to helping horses. I have been trying to get away from doing rescues and just concentrate on therapy visits and took most of the rescue info off my website, but I still keep getting lots of calls and its hard to not get involved.

Horse Hugs

Either call the IRS forms line 1-800-829-3676 (I think). or go to their website: www.irs.gov. DO NOT go to irs.com, that is a private website that charges for its services. Ask for K 1023. That is the non profit package that has all the forms and publications you need to get started. There is a $150 fee to register with the IRS.

Good luck. The IRS is understaffed and overworked and as usual short tempered and surly. Just make sure you get all you t's crossed and your i's dotted and you should be fine. As long as you are honest and are not trying to do anything that might be determined to be in a gray area, you should be OK with them.

Horse hugs, that may be part of the difference....I know that the two that got into difficulties both had paid employees and one leased a location the other was donated land with a barn .....and both were cited for misappropriation of funds......record keeping is a big issue especially when you have employees and large donations of cash and goods.....I know the one group has since re organized and relocated (they are a cat/dog type shelter) the other one (horse) last I heard had closed it's door's. Whatever you do good luck.

That's probably the difference and the IRS should crack down on those non profits that are paying huge salaries out of donations. I was pretty sickened when I first started investigating nonprofits when I saw how some of them spent their funds. Not much of the money actually went to the animals. Just like the American Cancer Society and the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. They spend more money paying people to raise money than they actually do on trying to fight the disease. Pretty sad.

Latest posts

Back