This may be a stupid question..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been doing a ton of research on cushing's since my mini may have it. She has a lot of the classic signs and if she has cushings, she'll never loose her hair (one of the classic signs of cushings).

Can you borrow a set of clippers from someone who has sheep, cattle, or minis just to get the bulk of hair off her??? Or make an appointment with a dog groomer to see if they'll clip her for her. Then keep a blanket on hand in case you get bad weather. You can do scissors, but if she has cushings, she will never loose that hair.

She does look like it's a metabolic thing....that long hair isn't normal.
default_no.gif
I haven't tried this myself but it was in Equus once. You basically rub oil(I can't remember if it was a specific type but I think vegtable or mineral oil would do) into their whole coat/skin and leave it. Supposedly they'll shed out. I don't think it would hurt to try.....if it doesn't work you'd have to give her a bath!
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
we rescued a quarter horse filly a couple years ago and turned out she had cleft pallette the vets at OSU were shocked that she made it to 18 months as most dont. But she was very underweight and had the start of pnemonia from aspirating food into her lungs (due to the cleft palette) She was also way too small for her age and her coat was a mess. They called it failure to thrive due to cleft palette. They just dont get enough nutrition.
Every vet I have seen is amazed she has lived to turn four in August. And every vet that has seen her, also thinks that it is failure to thrive. In the words of one vet, "It is finally catching up with her."

I know that someday I am going to have to put her down...It breaks my whole family's heart to know that, but I have accepted it. She is really special to us. No, special isn't even the right word...She is my best horse. She is so sweet and polite, and always seems to have a positive attitude, if horses can have that.
default_wink.png

I have tried to give her everything I can. She has experienced everything from having a herd to be a part of, green grass, deep snow, warm sun, she has taught many children the wonders of horses, and most importantly she has touched lives. She has lived a good life, and truth be told, I don't think medication would help her this time like it did last time.

Now, I am just going to do everything in my power to enjoy how ever much time I have left with my baby, and when she is ready to go Home, I will help her.

I think that that is the least I could do for her, considering all she has done for me.

Her with the herd...if you can call it that...
default_aktion033.gif

ponies.jpg

Faith with Blue, my first horse and her best friend...

fromcamera158.jpg

Last year's winter time!

alert.jpg

Close up..

100_0210.jpg

Winter naptime

000_0746.jpg

As a two year old...

000_0540.jpg

Another two year old shot..

100_0212.jpg

Teaching

Fred.jpg

Headshot..three years old here

100_0600.jpg

Excuse the HUGE pictures!

Thanks so much for sharing her pics- she has obviously touched the lives of many, and is a sweet little gal. I think you are correct in the meds not helping with her many issues now. She is very lucky to have had you and I know that when it's time for her, she will know that she was VERY loved.

Thanks for sharing the other pictures with us - she looks like she is in a very loving home, and you have done and are continuing to do all you can to help your little girl. I wish you the best with her, and she'll let you know when it's time.

Liz R.

What sweet photos! Wish there were something we could do to help! I'd shave her for you if you were here! Keep up the faith in Faith! *hugs*

Jessi

I'm so sorry that Faith is having so many problems.
default_sad.png
She looks like such an angelic little one. I think that you are wise in realizing that there may not be much more you can do for her, with all the medical problems she has, but just do your best for her and then humanely let her go if she begins to suffer, as difficult as that would be. Best of luck.

Latest posts

Back