This may be a mistake but.......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyn_j

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]I am going to stick my neck and my horses necks out because I feel what I read on a previous thread is correct. I am very critical of other horses when asked if they are stallion or show quality. I base my answers on halter classes for the most part but I also have my halter winners in training for driving since they are out of driving champions as well so..... here goes and you are welcome to pick appart my horses as well.[/SIZE]

Sweet Tart went to his first show as a weanling and it was nationals and he broght home top 10s in both futurity and open as a weanling, a yearling and will hopefully as a two year old. I love his neck,legs, expression, ears, overall body type and tail set, what I dont like is his straight profile, long back and because he has such a strong hip and rear depending on how he is set up he can look the 2 year old butt high. He was 2 on June 6th. He is also a moving machine and is my single pleasure driving prospect for next year. He is heavy line bred Midget Mike which is a very prepotent line that reproduces itself consistantly and therefore is my choice for A size herd sire. He is ASPC AMHR and will be AMHA which makes him valuable in my book as a foundation sire. He may not always take Grands but he is consistantly first or second in his class under every judge, often Jr champion as well.

f2fbd111.jpg

Feel free to give your coments, likes and dislikes. I can take what I dish out.

Lyn

This is his father and I expect him to look just like this only smaller when he is also 10.

Lyn
f3242c98.jpg

Brave women ha! I dont do critics, because I feel you can pick just about any horse apart. Congratulations on your wins.

I think he is gorgeous! But yes, I do notice his long back. I wouldn't consider it a major fault though. I LOVE his head and expresssive eyes!
wub.gif
If I ever had the chance of buying him, I would definetly consider him! (Not that you would ever let him go
laugh.gif
!)
wub.gif
How tall is he now, and how tall is his sire?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my other current show horse. Carbon is a 3 year old mare. She was 3rd in the National Futurity as a two year old last year. She is currently in training for roadster for Nationals. What I like about her, she has a very pretty profile, she is short backed although she is over stretched in this pic. She has a table top topline, great tail set, clean underline ,absolutely straight legs, well laid back shoulder , strong long hip pretty head, fair length of neck. What I dont like is her color, there is none on the other side except eye liner and judges sometimes cant get past her mismarked-ness. I also would like a cleaner underline on her neck it ties in a little lower than my ideal, it comes out of her withers beautifully tho and she can telescope it to pose. She is also heavier boned than my ideal. She is out of a multiple national champion halter and driving sire and her grandmother is also a reserve national champion halter and driving horse. Both of them are double hall of famers. She is in my breeding program because she is 75% shetland , she is amhr now and is eligible for prodgeny hardshipping into amha which I will do this winter when there are no show expenses. She was bred to Bruces fine hall of fame national champion ASPC AMHR stallion Sweet N Sour who is Sweet Tarts maternal Half brother.

f369a8c1.jpg

Again you coments good and bad are welcome.

Lyn

[SIZE=14pt]Sweet Tart:[/SIZE]

Lyn, you know I like this one!!! And I love his father. I don't remember seeing pictures of him before. I love grey horses. Sweet Tart's daddy looks like he belongs in a fairy tale! The only thing I see that I'd fault your boy on is his long back. I really love his tailset and he's got a good neck and beautiful head with what looks like a big, soft eye. You were the first person to talk to me about AMHR/ASPC/AMHA horses and I'm excited to see more of this type of triple registered horses in the future.

Carbon:

I like her, too, and would be proud to call her mine. What I see that I don't like are what looks like toothbumps (and I know, those are a right of passage and go away), and I don't know exactly the right term but the distance between the bottom of her chest right in front of her legs to the back of her withers (the shoulder area?) is maybe a little wide compared to rest of her proportions by a tiny bit / like the base of her neck is too wide (?). Her head shape looks a little plain but not unattractive. I like her teeny tiny ears and, of course, her legs look very straight and nice in profile.

I would like to say that I am LOOKING to see things I don't like in these two, since you are asking for a critique. The overall quality of these two is what jumps out at me, not the potential few things I would just tweak a tiny bit if I could.

[SIZE=14pt]Sweet Tart is 2 and 32 inches tall. Eddie is 36 inches tall. Carbon is 3 and is 33 inches tall.[/SIZE]

I put my own horses up for critique because like Carolyn I have also received E mails wondering why I am so eager to tell others whats wrong with their horses but have not put mine up for scrutiny.bMy most perfect horse I dont own completely anymore it was Steel who was 37.5 inches but close to perfection. He was bought back by his breeder Doc Taylor but I retain stud rights.

f86df425.jpg
I do not offer him for critique only his pic as my example of a nearly perfect horse.

Lyn

Lyn- I think he is a really nice horse. I would like to see how he would like in that picture if his back legs were more under him. I love his shoulder, head( seen his head in other pictures
smile.gif
smile.gif
, neck, tail set and of course his color.

I need advice on how you tell if a horse has a long back. Chris(my husband) can point it out on any horse, but I can't. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
smile.gif

Kim

Kim, I'm not sure my thinking is correct here, but to me, they look too long in the back if their back is much longer than their front leg. If you can kind of picture laying one front leg on their back, if there's much length that the leg won't sit on top of, then to me, the back looks too long. That's probably a strange way to think of it, but that's how I think of it.

[SIZE=14pt]I decide by cutting the horse into thirds. From the withers forward and the point of hip back.....if the center third is wider than the other two then that is a long back. I like that leg thing tho Jill.... im going to try that on all my pics now![/SIZE]

Kim, after seeing all the show pics of him this year Bruce has decided that he stretches him too much. He is having Jan video tape him showing the horses in halter when he gets home from congress to see what to do differently. Thats one of the things I like about Bruce he is a professional handler but he is constant learning! He is so right that from the front of the horse it is sometimes hard to see what the profile is doing.

Lyn

Thank you Lyn and Jill- Very good ideas(especially, the leg idea). Now I just need to practice it.

I like what you are saying about Bruce. He sounds like a great trainer.

He had a horse that I looked at a while back. He was sold to a farm that has trained him to drive. He is now for sale and I am chomping at the bit, but I know that I have to reduce my numbers(unless my husband can handle just one more) before we would be able to get another horse and that's just too hard to do, but this horse could be the broke driving horse I have been looking for. I know if Bruce had him he is a nice boy!

[SIZE=14pt]Lyn - In regard to the critiqueing of horses, I have really learned from your posts, both on your horses and others. Sometimes I will look at horse and see something is not quite right, but not be able to pinpoint what it is in words. [/SIZE]

You've got the knowledge and experience - plus the honesty to give a good critique. Honesty is a rare quality. If someone asked for a critique, don't they really want to learn and get opinions? And honest opinions?

So, I say, keep up the good work!
smile.gif
smile.gif

[SIZE=14pt]
wub.gif
wub.gif
Man of Steel
wub.gif
wub.gif
[/SIZE]

Ok...well, since most of this is based on not only great conformation...but what I like also, I love the first horse...I like his color, but I have a problem with his throat latch...just doesn't seem to fit. That probably doesn't make sense and that is why I am not a judge. The rest of him I love, I see the long back, but that doesn't bother me...The neck doesn't either, but you asked...
smile.gif
edited to add: I think that whole throat latch thing is the angle of the pic:) I looked again and came back...

The white horse is beautiful.

I like Carbon a lot also...maybe it is just my preference, but I think she is over stretched(but I never have liked the stretching and that doesn't change her being a great mare)...I also, like Jill see the maybe tooth bumps.

Your horses are beautiful, no doubt Lynn and if you ever want to sell your other half of MOS...I will take it here in NE...I just love his look. He is beauty...
wub.gif

Latest posts

Back