This is what Little John does in the show ring

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniequine

Reaction score
Little John is 2 1/2 years old. He bahaves at home,

no screaming, no pacing, does what I ask of him.

When I take him to a show, he is fine untill

he steps into the ring. This is what he does:

I set him up and he gets MADDDD!

He pins his ears and bites and last month he

actually (half heartedly struck at me)

He gets furious. He doesn't always do it,

but I can tell if he is gonna do it the second

I get into the ring.

He has been to 5 or 6 shows this year. He gets

plenty of "outside" time. It seems that he

knows that I cannot do anything to him in the ring.

I have never hit him, but I have had to snap

his lead very hard sometimes.

I think it is a respect issue??

Anybody experience this??

Sandy

Yea Sandy, I would have horses work great at home, but get them in the ring and they'd have a free for all. Seemed like they just knew they would not get in trouble for it.

WRONG.

Although I hate to say this, and I do beleive in firmly doing your homework at home, sometimes in order to just put a stop to this is to have to correct them right in the ring in front of God and everyone to cure it. It's unfortunate, but sometimes that's the only way.

If I were you, I would choose a smaller show where you don't care if he gets anything or not, and just show him in there specifically for the purpose of correcting him big time. You can excuse yourself from the judge and from the class, and throw caution to the winds, and hate to say it, but let him have it in there. If you are that worried about what others are going to think of you, I'd tell them before hand that you are there to correct your horse who cuts up like this in the class and then do what you have to do, to lower the boom on him. I'd also shove a little bit of Vicks up his nose too.

The only other thing I can think of is that it may be YOU transmitting your nerves onto him, and then he is sensing that and capitalizing on it. If that's the case, try some wine or something to calm you down. But the bottom line here is that you both need to come to an agreement about this behavior in the class before it continues any longer. It would be a real shame to not show Little John at his full capicity because he choses to be a meathead about it. I'd load him up this weekend and go find a show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I would say tho that something is missing from his schooling at home. I often times while working them at home, don't make them stand still for a long period of time to practice, but just let them stand, show and then say good boy/girl.

Another thing you can try is leaving him tied to a gate/fence or wherever you tie them for long periods of time. 1-3 hrs, to teach him some patience. Do it just as regularily as you exerc ise them or handle them. If he is kept in a stall then tie him in the barn isle while cleaning stalls and doing your barn work. Again leaving him there for a period of time.

You might try arriving at the show early. Take your horse into the arena at night before any shows and practice with him there. Discpline him at that time if you need too. If this does not work........I don't know?

I hope he gets better otherwise it sounds like he does not want to show! Not all horses can make halter horses no matter how nice there are!

Beth

thanks Marty,

Last week, I got home from Ohio , the very next morning I

took him to a local show ring, (nobody there)

set him up,and He did the same thing!!!

I rushed at him, snapped the cra$%^p out of his lead...

he reareed, fell over backwards (very deep sand in ring)

got up all wide eyed and looked at me like "what???!!!"

It has been a two weeks,,, I doubt he remembers that lesson.

I think correcting him in a show is a great idea!

Thanks

Sandy

May I ask what does the Vicks up the nose do?

He's a stallion. It helps him from smelling the scent of the mares.

Sandy also you can try, if you have any other people nearby to go with you to a practice ring and hold a mock show.

We also used to do this with the students and their horses to practice. The more horses you can get together, the better.

OhHorsePee said:
May I ask what does the Vicks up the nose do?Fran

451539[/snapback]

This works especially well for stallions who "act ups" from their raging testosterone at shows because they smell all the "new" mares that are on the grounds. Putting Vicks in the nose keeps them from smelling the other horses.

Edited: Ooops....sorry Marty. See you posted too. You must be faster on the button than me!
laugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello

It did not sound like with he description of what the stallion was doing in the show arena that he was acting "studdy" at all. In fact just the opposite, he was pouting like a little kid that could not have his own way.

I doubt Vicks would work for that!

The "snatching" of the lead should have done it tho..........
smile.gif
smile.gif
good for you! Now he will test you one more time. Make sure he is where you can discpline him again and you might win!
smile.gif

Good luck!

Beth

Can you get into that same arena (the empty one where you gave him the what not) and repeat the same lesson? And, as Marty suggested, perhaps bring your own "audience?"

There is a way to correct them in the show ring, we have had to learn with one of ours. When the judge is not looking (those of you who do not believe in twitching probably will not like this
rolleyes.gif
) but you can nose twitch with your hand for a short period of time till they calm down then turn loose. When they act up, nose twitch, when they stand still, release. This can be done very subtly where noone notices unless looking right at you. I do believe ours knew that we would not correct in the arena, but he learned different very quick. He stands very good for us now, still tries to nip every chance he gets. He is our little boy that likes attention whether it is good or bad, as long as it is attention.

Latest posts

Back