This is going to be long but I need to talk

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brandi, you got off to a terrible start and to be honest, that doesn't happen that often to newbies. Newbies make some mistakes sure just like the rest of us, but what happend to you and Melody was just a run of really bad luck. It was like a dark cloud was following you and most of us here couldn't figure out why, with all the good care you give, it had to happen to you, but it just did and it wasn't your fault. None of it.

As for the other stuff, there is also that thing known as "personality conflicts"

It has happened twice in my life where I had a horse that for some reason I just did not click with and I really did try. Maybe too hard, I don't know. One was a quarter horse filly my X bought me for a wedding present and we did very well showing, but the "love" was not really there. The other was a mini,

a nice, well bred little girl that I never developed feelings for. She seemed to sometimes just push my buttons just to irratate me. Other times she did nothing wrong, but I just could not warm up with her. I just felt kinda "blank" or something around both of these horses and both were eventually sold to people that simply adored them. This is no crime. It happens and if you ask me, that is the best thing for not just the owner but the horses involved.

I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but I for one kept insisting every time you asked about a companion for Melody that she would do best with another of her own species. You kept wanting a goat and a cow. Well after I saw your video today of Melody, the goat, and the cow together, you sure did make a believer out of me. She seemed very happy out there with them and you could clearly tell she ruled the pasture. I just want to wish you the best of everything in all your decisions and I hope you can arrive at one that will make you happy.

Thank you so much for everything you have said Marty! I know I tried really hard to find her a horsey companion but things just didn't go well. So my last resort had actually been my first choice. A cow and a goat. She does seem happy with them but she does not light up like she did with Kya. Maybe because she was so busy trying to get Kya to like her. Melody is definitely the boss out there and although she bosses them around a lot, she seems to really like them. It sure beats being by herself for sure!

Brandi, you got off to a terrible start and to be honest, that doesn't happen that often to newbies. Newbies make some mistakes sure just like the rest of us, but what happend to you and Melody was just a run of really bad luck. It was like a dark cloud was following you and most of us here couldn't figure out why, with all the good care you give, it had to happen to you, but it just did and it wasn't your fault. None of it.

As for the other stuff, there is also that thing known as "personality conflicts"

It has happened twice in my life where I had a horse that for some reason I just did not click with and I really did try. Maybe too hard, I don't know. One was a quarter horse filly my X bought me for a wedding present and we did very well showing, but the "love" was not really there. The other was a mini,

a nice, well bred little girl that I never developed feelings for. She seemed to sometimes just push my buttons just to irratate me. Other times she did nothing wrong, but I just could not warm up with her. I just felt kinda "blank" or something around both of these horses and both were eventually sold to people that simply adored them. This is no crime. It happens and if you ask me, that is the best thing for not just the owner but the horses involved.

I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but I for one kept insisting every time you asked about a companion for Melody that she would do best with another of her own species. You kept wanting a goat and a cow. Well after I saw your video today of Melody, the goat, and the cow together, you sure did make a believer out of me. She seemed very happy out there with them and you could clearly tell she ruled the pasture. I just want to wish you the best of everything in all your decisions and I hope you can arrive at one that will make you happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does sound like you are going to be far too busy to spend much time with Melody, and truly if your heart is telling you to sell her, then that is the best decision for you.
default_yes.gif

I've had horses that I didn't feel emotionally connected to as well. One was a wonderful little show mare who did a lot of winning, especially in driving, but she tried my patience in so many ways and we never did have an emotional bond.

You are surely right, that when you get another horse, you should get an older, already trained one that you can just enjoy. Good luck, and try not to feel guilty-- Melody may find her "soul mate" and then you will be free to find YOURS.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back