This is going to be a hot topic..............Regional Shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLC Stables

Reaction score
Okay so I was a having a discussion (a fellow pony breeder) about the topic of Regional shows (or area shows whichever you want to call them). We were discussing how it is very disheartening when there are years where a club holds the regionals they include the Shetland classes, and then the following year, BOOM, all the shetlands are cut from their show.

If we are trying to support a breed organization, YES BOTH THE ASPC/AMHR, then shouldn't the regional shows be held by groups who WANT to support both sides.

It is very much a smack in the face when one year we are good enough (only because they have to truly) and the next year NOPE, only miniatures.

How would a miniature person feel (and don't worry folks I am keeping this general as I have miniatures and shetlands) if one year a "shetland based" club held the regionals with the full array, and then the next year cut out the miniatures.

Should it be a requirement to be on a list to hold the regionals that you must show support year after year to BOTH sides of this registry?

I always wonder why there are so many posts on a Miniature Horse Forum that are pertaining to Ponies ?

Well Tia this doesn't pertain to JUST ponies, this is in Regards to a REGIONAL REGISTRY SHOW..............and miniatures also, I am asking OPINIONS from either side..........

Well, that is truly ridiculous to have a regional/area show and NOT include both, I think...or they should at least offer something comparable for the ASPC, though it seems it would make most sense to have them together.

I don't think it's right to include then exclude at a whim.

I'm not too cheesed about the pony thing, after all, minis are ponies and many ponies, if they were small enough, would truly make wonderful Miniatures....*shrug* Comparing apples to apples for the most part.

Liz M.

This is the reasoning I am posting, it is the "gripe" that everyone claims is there, if you had a problem with the topic it could have been left alone.

Why the "disregard" for the shetlands from the miniature world.............you missed the question in my original post about what if the miniatures were cut from a show following a regional show held by a club...............I am not griping at all, stating a question. You forget I have MINIATURES and shetlands.

If you want to contribute to the actual topic that would be wonderful.

Comparing apples to apples for the most part.

LIZ you and I are too much alike, great comment. ALL SMALL EQUINE

[SIZE=12pt]SORRY
default_shutup.gif
:
[/SIZE]

No Tia don't be sorry, I just want opinions from either side, and I just didn't want the "tiff" that always seems to be there.

I know you don't show but how would you feel if one year you were allowed to show your minis, and the next year you were cut? I am curious about this.

Rob,

What Area are you referring to? As it is my understanding it is Mandatory for All Area Shows to offer classes for Both ASPC / AMHR. I do not know of any Area's that can only have Mini's.. I will follow up on this right now to be sure that I am telling you right..
default_wacko.png
:

I think at a regional shows they should offer both. Espically for people like you Rob who have both minis and shetlands (and so many people do nowdays) who want to be able to show minis and ponies at one show.

CLARIFICATION: YES ALL REGIONALS SHOWS offer both.

What I am talking is we have about 5 clubs that rotate regional every year. Many of them offer the shetland classes year after year in their none Regional shows. Other only offer shetland classes AT the regionals but never any other time.............

Do you think a club that is allowed to host a regional show, should show support for BOTH sides of the registry year after year, not only when mandatory.

WOW rob i was under the impression that they had to offer both. Of course I dont have ponies YET so that could be why I never paid much attention but I do think they should HAVE to offer both

"Politics" to me is very little of the show scene. It is MADE bigger than it is by few and far between problems, which can be handled in a lot better way than angry griping behind the scenes and after the fact.

What one hears after the problem has happened, and escalated, turns into a big fear factor for people who don't want to deal with such things and so they are afraid to show.

In fact, I doubt I've ever really been affected by what people call politics, though I'm not 100% sure of what that is, I think I know. If it's the rules and governing, it's there for a reason, and it's not perfect, that is why it changes frequently. If it's the "who you know" factor, that will always be there and it really doesn't much affect the people who show at a true amateur level/locally and for the most part, for fun.

That said, I do know that many people have both ASPC as well as AMHR overs and unders and to exclude them at any show is sad. I know that often there are not many ASPCs at some of the shows, but I like to see them, talk with the owners and learn more about the ponies. I could see myself having one at some point in time, they are great.

I hope it gets sorted out so we can all enjoy a show together the way it should be.

Liz M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify, this was a discussion, I am a members of almost every club in this area, and have been a member of those that only have "miniature" shows.

Rob,

We have both minis and shetlands, and some that are registered as both. We haven't shown with AMHR for several years (not since Lori G had El Dorado for us) but intend to return to one or both in the near future. IMO, I think if it's a "regional" show, they should indeed offer both.

Perhaps this should be taken up at the registry level -- not just the clubs?

MA

Ok I think I'm understanding it. You are not talking about Regional shows not offering Shetland classes it's that you think that who ever host the regional show should be obligated to offer Shetland classes at their shows held at other times than Regionals.

My answer is NOPE. Look into wheter or not the Shetland classes pulled their own weight, so to speak, in the past. If they had just as much support as the mini classes check into possible scheduling problems. If you can not find any than go to the board (of the show hosting the event) and ask why the Shetlands were cut.

There are many ways to work with the show board to get what you want but trying to force them to take both is not the way I would put first on my list.

I need to go outside and play with my horses LOL

Last edited:
SDMini

You are right, we are not necassarily talking about the regional show.

However take a club I am with for instance. I do the ribbon orders, it was on the docket to CUT the shetlands, it was voted down, and here is why. I went through all the shetland classes and figured out ribbons, some we ordered 0, some 1, some 3, some 4.

With keeping the shetlands and working my numbers the RIBBON COSTS were $359.00 for the year. Was there a need to cut the shetlands, NO. It can be worked around.

In a dual show they might not pull their weight, but why would anyone want to get into them if there is no where to exhibit them year after year, or maybe only 3 shows have shetland classes.

Well thing MIGHT be because of Judges~! Not ALL judges are Carded for Miniatures and Shetlands... AND you have to be not only a Carded Classic Shetland judge BUT there is a separate Card for the Moderns as well.. My friends that are judges One is Minis and Classic BUT NOT Modern and the other friend is Minis and Modern but not Classic... So a Single Judge has to be ALL Three Cards to judge such shows OR You have to get Judges that can Take Over and Judge either the Classic and or Modern ones separately that maybe a Possibility as Shows get together and set one just HOW Much they can spend on Judges etc~!! And with Judges fees going up now because of the Gas prices I know my one friend now is at $550 PLUS expenses for a One day show and lower for 2 days~!

Latest posts

Back