This heat, my horse's body is burning hot

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Nobody hates this heat more than me and Sonny of course.

I just came in from outside and it's another scorcher. Sonny was hold up in his stall and when I went in to pat him, his body was so hot it was like it was on fire. He's drinking very well, loves his Gatorade in his beet pulp and loves his fan, but it's never enough.

Been hosing him like crazy in all the cooling off points and kept the hose running on him back and forth for a long time. It's just horrible. The minis are not like that. Their bodies are warm, but nothing like Sonny's.

Have you felt your horses bodies in this heat?

Yep Marty....for the last two days the heat index here has been 105 and supposed to be the same tomorrow....thankfully its supposed to cool down thursday and friday to 80. Sapphire's body has been quite hot as well from all this heat. Stupid heat I hate it all!

Jessica

Oh man are you guys right--it is insanely hot out there. I just got home from work--got called by my neighbor to tell me that my horses were out and just passed his place and he was going to try to herd them back home. It is exactly 100 degrees out there--and the radio said the heat index was 110. So I fly home going 80 just in time to help close the gate...my sweet babies followed my neighbor (who brings them hay and watches them anytime I am gone) all the 1.5 miles home. Thank goodness Rainy is so smart and the other 5 follow her. I about had a heart attack! That said, we are all hot and sweaty after walking the fenceline, etc--it is just sickly hot! Hubby is stopping by to get the camera we have been talking about...because the way the fence is pushed down almost flat in an 8' section in the back looks mighty suspiscious. Another neighbor down the road is a drunken pain in the tail and I have had to call him almost every day to come get his puppies out of my patio pond and off my deck--and he lives two miles down the road. Just a big redneck mess and in this heat I am just mad as a hornet. My babies are safe (and munching gatorade ice cubes out of their trough)...now I am going to make sure they stay that way. What a day from he!!

Our foal was so listless today..just took his temp..105!! Set him in a tub with ice water and poured alcohol down his back..it took 30 min till it was down to 103..he is still under the fan..gotto recheck in 10 min..darn heat!!

OMG I know what you mean! Fortunatly we're geting abreak the last three days..high of 75/77 and right now is 63° w/low hunmidty.

Hope I'm not jinxing myself. We freeze mild jugs with no cap and put them in the water tubs, as it melts it cools the water.

Our first show is Aug 6th. Please God no rain or heat!

Maxine

I hear you Marty! We're up in the mid 90's and the heat index has been in the 106 range!!
wacko.gif
The worse is the humidity. The other day we got a break and it was 84 but with lower humidity and that was real nice!! But this heat like this really is dangerous. I am constantly hosing and topping the water buckets of my horses so that they constantly have deep cold fresh water to drink all day long. I also make sure they're grazing in the shade. Can't seem to do enough to keep myself satisfied that they're getting enough water in their bodies and staying cool. NASTY NASTY summer. I'm more than ready for fall.
yes.gif

new_shocked.gif
wow i had to wear a coat to my barn today!!! its cold & rainy & really really windy here in sutton ontario.. canada!!! I do feel sorry for you guys! My horses all go in the barn when its hot, its like a cooler in there!
rolleyes.gif
But my 4-h calf hates heat & wont walk in it... so thats that days work plan out the window..unless i'm over there at 6AM!!! I've done that too many times... come on its summer
sad.gif

blah blah blah!! so sorry!

Well you aren't the only ones experiencing this HEAT! We have broken more records this year with the heat index it's not funny, EVER. We also have had many days of over 100 and yes as high as 112 this year! Give me a DARN BREAK, this is CANADA! I can't STAND THAT KIND OF HEAT AND HUMIDITY. That weather is for all of you in the south, not us up here
new_shocked.gif
I never thought I would say this but last week at the feed store I told the guy "I WANT WINTER!!"
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
and I meant it. My horses HATE this with a passion. My two full size arabians REFUSE to set foot out of their stalls in those temps and I can't say that I blame them one bit.
yes.gif

Midnight, I just read your post and are you sending those temps and weather my way???? I sure hope so. We aren't that far from you, I am close to Ottawa and we haven't seen the kind of weather you are talking about, YET. I will start praying that it comes our way!
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Well we are right there with all the rest of you - has been EXTREMELY HOT ALL summer long so far. I am really sick and tired of it and cannot wait for fall - Fall is my most favorite time of the year anyway
biggrin.gif

My horses are doing ok thank goodness - they go outside in the morning and then come in to their stalls around noon or so and lay under their fans - they are a tad bit spoiled. It"s funny they come a running when they know they are coming in to their stalls and fan. I don't think they really like this heat either.
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
no.gif

Latest posts

Back