This has been BUGGING me....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
If someone is selling a horse for, let's say - $500.....or even $750. Basically I'm talking about UNDER $1000. WHY WOULD THE BUYER NEED TO MAKE PAYMENTS ?????

I'm NOT going to do it!!!!! I hope other's will agree. If someone cannot buy a horse for $500 or $750 without payments -- How on earth are they going to afford to take care of horse's basic needs???? And what happens if the horse needs vet care?????

I have been reading threads this summer about selling horses like this on contract and then having the buyer default or not being able to pay for a vet bill. It's been driving me CRAZY! What do they (the sellers) expect????

Sorry......just had to vent......

MA

Well, I do know there are those that do buy $500 or $750 on payments, and they DO honor their payments, and they DO provide vet care in addition to all basic, necessary care.

Unfortunately there are some who will pay cash for a horse, be it $500, or $1500 or whatever, and then they STILL can't be bothered to provide emergency vet care--not because they can't, but because they won't. They figure they've paid enough for the horse, and they aren't going to fork out any more money on that horse.

Miniv said:
If someone is selling a horse for, let's say - $500.....or even $750.  Basically I'm talking about UNDER $1000.  WHY WOULD THE BUYER NEED TO MAKE PAYMENTS ?????
I'm NOT going to do it!!!!!  I hope other's will agree.  If someone cannot buy a horse for $500 or $750 without payments -- How on earth are they going to afford to take care of horse's basic needs????  And what happens if the horse needs vet care?????

I have been reading threads this summer about selling horses like this on contract and then having the buyer default or not being able to pay for a vet bill.  It's been driving me CRAZY!  What do they (the sellers) expect???? 

Sorry......just had to vent......

MA

459685[/snapback]

While there "may" be a few exceptions......I agree with you [SIZE=14pt]100% Ma![/SIZE]

My first mini was a "Just" mare.
aktion033.gif
I bought her from Marguerite on payments for $650. (She's on my Avatar) I had to pay for her reg papers. I have access to 3 vets in which I have an open account to take my minis to anytime.
saludando.gif

[SIZE=14pt]I have had to make payments on horses and was eternally grateful for that opportunity but after being screwed over a 500 dollar horse I wont sell on payments for that little again. I do offer payments on horses over 1000. So far the only time I have been burned was that once. Most of my customers some of them forum members have been right on time or within a week or 10 days and if it was late they called and said why and it wasnt an every month problem.I have also bought horses on payments from forum members who I would rather die than not pay![/SIZE]

Lyn

WHY WOULD THE BUYER NEED TO MAKE PAYMENTS
Why not?? I bought a mini about 2 years ago and I made payments on a $300 Dollar mini...What in the world is a matter with this?????I also made payments when I bought a mini for $350... I also TOOK payments on a 2 in one package for $650 What in the world is wrong with Making OR taking payenst on horses under $1,000~!!!!?????? I bought an Purebred Arabian filly 6 months old I TOOK her home Right Away
aktion033.gif
biggrin.gif
and then I took over a YEAR to pay for her at a $1,500 price.....Man oh man I just can't beleave this.....!!!!!

lyn_j said:
[SIZE=14pt]I have had to make payments on horses and was eternally grateful for that opportunity but after being screwed over a 500 dollar horse I wont sell on payments for that little again. I do offer payments on horses over 1000. So far the only time I have been burned was that once. Most of my customers some of them forum members have been right on time or within a week or 10 days and if it was late they called and said why and it wasnt an every month problem.I have also bought horses on payments from forum members who I would rather die than not pay![/SIZE]Lyn

459720[/snapback]

[SIZE=21pt]Lyn, I agree with you 100% You took the words right out of my mouth!
yes.gif
[/SIZE]

Bill

I agree with you Lyn.

There is NOTHING wrong with payments. And I am sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings

here. But my fear will always be -- if someone can not afford $500 for a horse how can

they afford a vet bill for colic?

Yes, I know there are exceptions. But I hope most will know where I was coming from

when I started venting.

MA

lyn_j said:
[SIZE=14pt]I would rather die than not pay![/SIZE]Lyn

459720[/snapback]

Isn't that the truth! And we all know how fast news like this travels around the Internet.
biggrin.gif
I don't care what I would have to do to get the money.

Now, I have never had a $500 horse for sale but if I did you best be sure I would not take payment for the exact reason MA stated and more.

I have paid for all my horses upfront, and I'm sure no one is surprised it wasn't big money. The last one I paid half deposit and half on delivery. I sold two the same way, money in hand when the horses left. I think it is up to the individual, and I guess you can get screwed for five hundered or 4000...it just depends on the person.

[SIZE=14pt]I have had horses for most of my life and can honestly say that I have never bought one with out being able to make payments. The last FOUR that I have "bought" still have a few payments to go...But the gal who has sold them to me has become a good friend of mine and god bless her - she and her hubby have delivered my little loves weeks ago already!
aktion033.gif
I am very fortunate to have found such a wonderful person in the miniature horse world. I can honestly understand though - why people would be leary of payments.
sad.gif
Thats a no brainer!!!
unsure.gif
whistling.gif
[/SIZE]

Well, that is your choice if you don't want to do payments. Totally up to you, and I think anyone would be fine with that.

As to people who make payments being somehow bad, or unable to afford proper care etc, that is simply not true in all cases. Everybody I know has a budget. Maybe a person could be so rich, they would not have to have a budget, and obviously it would be great to sell to those people. It's just that I personally don't know many people like that. Now, if a person DOES have a budget, it does not mean they also don't have a savings account etc. or other means to take care of the horse. It just means they are on a budget - smart thinking, in my estimation. So - they have a budget, you have a horse for sale, they can only pay X without going over the budget. If they don't make a down payment on the horse you will sell it to someone else. If they DO make a down payment, then maybe they can afford the horse by next month, or the month after, etc, depending on the price of the horse and the budget involved. I personally have done this before, yet my horses are not out there starving to death because I can't afford to feed them.

Are there con artists out there? People who make promises they can't keep, even though with good intention? Of course. You must carefully screen people that you are selling to - I know in my heart you do it anyway - and then only do payments with someone you trust. All I am saying is that not EVERYONE who makes payments on a horse, can't take care of it. There can be some very legitimate reasons for making payments.

I have sold a number of horse over the years and even had to take payments on a few. If they needed to make payments on the horse they probably had to make payments to the vet also. Nothing wrong with this. Most of the people I know I have found to be trustworthy. One animal I sold on payments was to a young lady. I spoke with her parents and the were all for her buying the horse. Her having to pay for it herself was a demonstration of how much she wanted the animal.

Then I guess I can't buy a $500 horse from yalls.

Too bad.

I'm not offended, but I could be. So instead I will just give you my input.

I bought a lot of horses on payments and I do pay my bills, and vet bills and every bill I have ever encurred. Always have. No matter what it takes, I will honor my debts. I may be late sometimes yes I have, but dang it, I pay. I've had a few huge vet bills in my time too and the key is to establish a good repore and track record of making your payments with the vet so that God forbid another tradgedy struck the vet would still be willing to work on the horse. So yes I can pay a vet too in an emergency and let us not forget the stash in my underwear drawer for that.
wink.gif

There's people out there just like me that still live paycheck to paycheck and must live on a budget, and yes we do get set backs at times. There's also got to be more people other than me that do not use charge cards to avoid getting themselves in debt. We don't deserve a horse just cause we can't come up with one lump of $500? Sometimes I can and other times I cannot.

I am here to tell you that I have made a down payment of $250. for most of my minis that ranged from $750 to $2500 and these horses are dang lucky to have me for an owner.

Furthermore, I happen to know of a world reknown quarter horse stable in Florida that cannot pay their feed bills, and they are still pumping out horses to Congress left and right and show up in the State of the Art trailers and rigs and tack, but they have to bum money for a McDonalds on the road. I know because I traveled with them. Makes me puke!
smileypuke.gif

I happen to know of a big arabian farm where you don't walk in the gate without having a minimum of $20 grand to spend, charge $750 a month board, and that is NO training.....and they cannot afford to pay their vet, farrier, or feed bills either. I happen to know of a couple of miniature horse farms that owe up the ying yang and are drowing in debts as well. They got the big stuff going on left and right, show everywhere and can't put grocerys on their own table without useing a charge card.

So please, sometimes you just have a faith in the little guy here that is used to living on a budget and knows how to do it.

You may have just lost out on a super home for that little $500. horse.

Miniv said:
I agree with you Lyn.
There is NOTHING wrong with payments.  And I am sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings

here.  But my fear will always be -- if someone can not afford $500 for a horse how can

they afford a vet bill for colic?

Yes, I know there are exceptions.  But I hope most will know where I was coming from

when I started venting.

MA

459789[/snapback]

I feel the need to say something from my point of view - a 16 year old, aka a youth.

When I was saving up for a horse, I saved for a year, and therefor did not need to make payments for Dealer, but if I didnt have all the money, I would have considered it.

I saved up my OWN money. If I were making payments on Dealer, and he got sick and needed the vet, I would have the vet out, and have my parents lend me the money for the bill.

Health and happiness for my horses comes first. It would just ad on more to my debt, but I pay it off...

Keep in mind that just today, I got into debt 45 for a teeth floating for Dealer. Mom paid up front, and I am paying her back with my weekly paycheck.

I sold a horse to someone for $750 who had to make several payments over a few months. She is one of the best horsewomen I have ever known and works with the wild mustang adoption program. She became a good friend like most of my buyers do. :)

Her husband is not near as much of an animal person but she knew if she paid for the horse herself he would not get near as upset so she worked her waitress job and used her tips to buy the horse because he considered her salary as part of the house income.

And later on when a mare of hers had a bad dystocia and needed vet care, yes she and I took her to one of the best equine hospitals and even had to leave her there several days and then she died from a uterine infection that antibiotics would not get rid of! It was heart breaking. And she had to pay the vet in payments also, but you can be sure she did.

This is just an example from my own experience selling, that came to mind when reading this thread.

Susan O.

lets see I have paid cash up front for a couple horses in the 1000 +bracket made payments on one much higher than that and made payments on one lower than your 500...the low priced one was too good a deal to pass up at the time and I wasn't actively shopping so I paid 1/2 up front and 1/2 when I picked up the horse...sure I could have put off paying other bills to pay upfront but that seemed kinda dumb so I asked and the seller agreed........I've sold a horse on payments and it turned out fine usually I don't sell I end up finding great homes and just trade or have the person reimburse me for delivery expenses ......I am much better at buying than selling ...my horses all end up being part of my family.....I have sold maybe 3 horses over the years....placed 2 or 3 who came to me as fosters.........and still have the rest
biggrin.gif

Well, of course there are exceptions to the rule BUT I think it is a valid point made by the original thread.

I have bought horses on payment BUT like to pay in full upfront if at all possible.

My pet peeve is the seller spending my money before the horse leaves their property and then if something goes wrong and they cannot refund your money, GRRRRRRRR, I have waited a long time on money, Bad business.

Marty said:
Then I guess I can't buy a $500 horse from yalls.
Too bad. 

I'm not offended, but I could be. So instead I will just give you my input.  ...

So please, sometimes you just have a faith in the little guy here that is used to living on a budget and knows how to do it.

You may have just lost out on a super home for that little $500. horse.

459834[/snapback]

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

I did buy my stallion on payments; the seller didn't know me from "Adam". I put down a deposit, sent a payment the week before delivery, and then made my last payment the next month as agreed upon and a week later received his registration and transfer papers. I would definitely do business with this seller again, and am sure they would business with me again.

Does anyone here consider a "deposit" a payment in a payment plan? I do, you aren't paying the whole amount upfront, just securing a hold on the animal; sounds like a payment plan to me.

Latest posts

Back