This economy is scaring me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our business has been very slow, dangerously slow for a couple months now. This has never happened to us before, not as badly as this, so we canceled plans that we had to spend money putting an addition on this house and make more home improvements until things settle down. Within the last week, all of a sudden things have began to pick back up for us finally. YAY! But we are still not going to spend any extra money that we don't have to. Next wind comes by, this old house is going to fall over.......and I'll be screaming at the hus, "You should have spent the money!"

As for the horses, I didn't breed anyone last year and have one bred for 09. I could have had several mares in foal but I refuse to get myself over populated around here and have minis coming out my ears. There is only one of me to go around and as fussy as I am looking for that perfect home to sell to, I don't mind sitting on anyone for as long as it takes. I'd rather go slowly and carefully and proceed with caution.

Calm down. The sky is not falling and the market has already gone from a -777 yesterday to a +255 right now. Right now so many people are living on anxiety. Go do something away from the TV, puter and radio if you feel effected. Go play in the barn and relax.
default_cheekkiss.gif
I believe media is a fantastic tool most of the time but I also think they are adding to a "panic" wave at the moment.

Don't let it scare you. I find it as a good learning lesson. Learn to clip coupons, learn to make cheaper dinners, learn not to use credit cards. Go over your spending and see where you can tighten the belt. We'll get through this and be wiser for it.

We were always told to put money away for a rainy day and to not put your money in the stock market if you were counting on it. That you cold loose it. I have money in there, but to tell you the truth...if I lose it all, I will still be living and breathing. It is not the end of the world. I think that we should let things fall some. I'm not sure what needs to be done, but things cannot continue with people living with the excesses that we see everyday. It is not business as usual.

I refuse to let this situation scare me for I know what it is to be frugal and it doesn't kill anyone to be frugal. Being scared is what the government wants from people right now so they can manipulate things the way they want them. Don't believe everything you hear and you will be more comfortable. There is so much corruption in government that we do need a very strong leader that will set things right...I just don'e know if he/she will be on the ticket. I believe that once people get the notion that they can borrow for what ever they desire the government will have to think of doing things differently. We must keep after our representatives etc. to do what is the best for main street instead of Wall Street. Deep down I think people knew this was coming but just ignored it thinking our government will take care of everything....what a laugh! Just isn't funny! We know that getting scared will not do anything to help unless it is to get us to using our heads and demand the government becomes more responsible and the government demands accont ability from these busnesses. JMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
If you guys are still secure, I'd think your horses are safer with you than back on the market. You can screen all you want, but ultimately once your horses are gone their lives are in the hands of fate. If you can keep them and keep them well then by all means do. I had one stallion and one colt for sale this year, and after failing to find a home I was satisfied with I've decided they'll be staying. I need a show gelding anyway.
default_wink.png

I think allot of people forget to promote locally. Hang up those sale signs, business cards ext at local TSC....feed stores...ext ext. I get inquires all the time from locals.
I did stop doing this, and yesterday a friend of our secretary came by to show her pictures of her new...MINI! She said, "I didn't know there were minis here." We've been here 25 years! Talk about a failing on my part.

I do think the government can scare you into a tissy. But the reality is everything is going up and my pay check is not. That is the bottom line. I do feel better.

I think a lot of us feel the way you do right now. I try to just do the best I can and cut corners where I can, but not to dwell on the negative. I figure my horses are probably better off with me than with just about anyone else, but there is no way I'm looking to add to the herd (sometimes I need to FIRMLY remind myself of that!) or make anymore right now. I'd sacrifice a lot to keep them healthy and fed, some folks wouldn't.

Back