This bothers me,maybe its just me but....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishful

Reaction score
Now I know my opinion will flare a few flames(it always does) BUt that said. and I dont mean to make anybody mad but I have run into alot of price inflation lately.

I really hate when a seller Assumes I am either stupid or the biggest sucker on the planet. I have inquired about a couple horses lately and got some really outrageous prices, keep in mind they were neither show horses nor of famous bloodline,they just had color! Didnt even have a website, I stumbled on to them threw a friends website and da,da,da. The first quote was 50,000(with a short,thick neck)
new_shocked.gif
. The second was 75,000.
new_shocked.gif
I dont remember seeing Buckeroo as the sire!! Now I have been in minis for around five years and have visited many sites and farms with really nice people, reasonable prices(500-5000) and no matter how many times I visit the prices are consistant, just because a certain color may be getting popular they dont triple their prices. Why do some people do this? or to really get the goats gander, when they refuse my offer only to haul the horse to a sale and take less then I offered to start with.
wacko.gif

Heck fire..me too! Not to make light of this but I agree. Just fluff em of and move on. There are SO many for sale right now, you're sure to find the right one.

I know exactly what you mean BUT I think people who do that are stupid and hope the buyer is too!!!!

But your not so you know better
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

People do this with dogs too, drives me crazy!!!!!

I wonder if these people ever sell anything!??
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

Good Grief! What circles are you shopping in????? Donald Trump????

Expand your horizons, my dear. There are hundreds of smaller breeders in the midwest and in the NORTHWEST that have all those top bloodlines for PENNIES on the DOLLAR.

(Have fun shopping!)

MA

First quote was 50,000(with a short,thick neck)  . The second was 75,000.
ohmy.gif
In todays market!
unsure.gif
Those sellers must have been hibernating for the last five years........... I've always said the smart buyer is the one who studies the bloodlines, see what they produce then separate the hype from the facts. They then search out the smaller breeders who breed for quality & the same bloodlines & there you most likely will find your horse for a fraction of the cost........... Yes I've seen the horses priced high on the farm but then see those same horses go for lots less in an auction..................... I've also heard the breeders who say they have some horses priced high on their websites because sometimes a sucker does come along & pay that price.
unsure.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps the owner of these horses doesn't really want to sell them...hence the high price? Perhaps there are family/farm dynamics going on that you don't know? (for example, hubby insists that she sell a few, but she doesn't want to...)

Whatever the reason, it does no good to take this personally. If they take you for a sucker, that's their problem. After all, they're the ones who lost the sale. Just move on.

Sometimes, these "owners" think well, why not? I guess
sad.gif

Years back.....I inquired about a tiny mare I had seen showing. Well, she was in the same classes as 2 of mine, so saw her a lot and had my own opinion -- which was good as I inquired as to buying her. At the time, I only had a couple of years of minis behind me (lots of years of big ones) and it was also a time when prices were much greater than now. HOWEVER, when she quoted me $75K I almost lost it
new_shocked.gif
I calmly picked myself up off of the floor and said, "you gotta be kidding!!!" Nope, I've got 3 people just waiting for me to call them to get her!

ohmy.gif
wacko.gif
wink.gif
Well, I took a deep breath and said - WOW!! I'll give you a commission if you just let any one of the three buy one of the two I have that are beating yours in the show ring ! She hung up.
sad.gif
laugh.gif
To this day that mare hasn't been sold....and I still own both of mine, whom I never wanted or tried to sell.
wub.gif

Just a story from this "old timer"....letting you know things can be beyond expectations.

Cathy_H said:
First quote was 50,000(with a short,thick neck)  . The second was 75,000.
ohmy.gif
In todays market!
unsure.gif
Those sellers must have been hibernating for the last five years........... I've always said the smart buyer is the one who studies the bloodlines, see what they produce then separate the hype from the facts. They then search out the smaller breeders who breed for quality & the same bloodlines & there you most likely will find your horse for a fraction of the cost........... Yes I've seen the horses priced high on the farm but then see those same horses go for lots less in an auction..................... I've also heard the breeders who say they have some horses priced high on their websites because sometimes a sucker does come along & pay that price.
unsure.gif

467009[/snapback]

Oh my goodness Cathy! I love you! I am that smaller breeder. With folks like you all giving us that small boost we have a chance. How nice of you to say that. I have worked very hard for the last 6 yrs. This is the first year I am so tickled with my kids and feel they are the best so far. I just love your quote and I thank you from us small breders who do breed for quality and with the same bloodlines of the bigger high $$ farms, and charge substantially less.

You just made my day.
aktion033.gif

Wishful, I have seen that also. A "rare" color going for an astronomical price.....

I will take my dull plain ole horses and keep loving them just as they are......

jennifer
saludando.gif

I think what you are talking about is just plain old greed. A friend of mine has a saying for an occasion like this - "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered." Getting your fair share of the market is one thing, being greedy is quite another!

I hope you find your perfect horse, and my guess is, it will NOT cost 75 grand!!!
biggrin.gif

I'd like to know what color they were that they thought they were that special? I didn't know any color was all that rare?

It's like the black snowflake appy on the auction. Someone asked if the $25,000 starting bid was for real & she said yes. Said he's the only one registered as a black snowflake. He's nice but not that nice. Much nicer stallions out there for less. But it doesn't hurt to try to get that much for one!
wink.gif

I have my leopard yearling colt priced at $5000 because I don't want to sell him & don't care if I sell him but if someone comes along & thinks he's worth that, then I'll discuss it with them.
biggrin.gif

Rhapsody

I remember this happening to me- I just fell around laughing and when the poker faced person asked me what I was laughing at I told her I had assumed she had just made a joke!! - Trouble was, I really was laughing!! I really did think it was funny!! And , Yes, like most of you I was beating her in the ring!! Maybe not the most polite or diplomatic way of handling it but I did not get anymore "My horse is worth So-and- So " from her!!

Holy Cow!

Recently, I've been getting numerous inquiries about our horses because the prices are reasonable. Yes, I don't have top bloodlines, because my preference is to find minis whose novelty has worn off with a family, love 'em up, and find an appropriate home. (Frankie's challenge to us a few months back "hit home").

What I've found is that folks inquiring don't seem to care because they want "pets". Many seem to like the B size, which is my personal preference. One of the top breeders mentioned in a conversation that she has at least 25 horses that are still in her name, as folks haven't taken the time or have the need to register their horse. Shame, because some good bloodlines she's breeding should be continued.

According to my potential buyers, the cost of transport plus the price of the horse is less expensive to purchase "out-of-state". Frankly, I don't know where they're looking within their area. It's funny, a local breeder went surprisingly "sideways" on me when I mentioned a well heeled breeder friend was inquiring about a certain farm here in Wisconsin, as they wanted to purchase a weanling colt priced at $3500 and I thought that an outrageous price. Of course, I'm a newbie and simpleton. The "local" proceeded to trash my herd, inferring that I don't understand bloodlines and confirmation.....and they're absolutely right.

Call me simple, cheap, or low-end market dweller, but paying $3500 for an unproven stallion is a fact that escapes me. Perhaps if I'm around minis long enough, this may become crystal clear to me. In the meantime, I'll do my part to help the forgotten little critters and see to it that they find a family that'll appreciate them.
wink.gif

Ignorantly yours,

Cindy

wishful said:
Now I know my opinion will flare a few flames(it always does) BUt that said. and I dont mean to make anybody  mad but I have run into alot of price inflation lately.I really hate when a seller Assumes I am either stupid or the biggest sucker on the planet. I have inquired about a  couple horses lately and got some really outrageous prices, keep in mind they were neither show horses nor of  famous bloodline,they just had color! Didnt even have a website, I stumbled on to them threw a friends website and da,da,da. The first quote was 50,000(with a short,thick neck)
new_shocked.gif
. The second was 75,000.
new_shocked.gif
  I dont remember seeing Buckeroo as the sire!!  Now I have been in minis for  around five years and have visited many sites and farms with really nice people, reasonable prices(500-5000) and no matter how many times I visit the prices are consistant, just because a certain color may be getting popular they dont triple their prices. Why do some people do this? or to really get the goats gander, when they refuse my  offer only to haul the horse to a sale and take less then I offered to start with.
wacko.gif

466939[/snapback]

I have a few horses that I just don't want to sell. A couple of times when someone asked me a price and was persistant, I quoted $5,000.oo on a couple of mares. I guess maybe I had better raise my price before someone grabs them up.
risa_suelos.gif

Seriously, the only reason I can think of for pricing a horse for the price they quoted you is that they just don't want to sell it.

Well, if they didnt want to sell the horse a very polite "He's not for sale at this time, maybe I have something else you might like" would be more appreciated, when they assume I'm stupid or a sucker I never go back, even to widow shop!

On more than one occassion I have witnessed high dollar deals. They went somthing like, The price is twelve thousand dollars. I will take your eleven thousand eight hundred dollar foal and two hundred dollars cash. He can brag he sold the three year old mare bred to such and such for twelve thousand dollars. On another at an auction the horse was bid up to a high price by two "buyers" in the gallery. A big fanfare was made about the price and hands were shook and pictures were taken. After the public left the deal fell apart because the unknown buyer did not have a check with him. The same horse sold by treaty to another buyer for less than a tenth of what was "bid" for it at the auction.

I seen the one on the auction too with the "special color" , well, all I can say is I wish them luck on getting there price! What really gets my goat is when a newbie (even tho "local" has been into minis before but went out and back in, but yet claims to be a newbie) will run a seasoned breeder who has all show quality horses and excellent lines, down ...just to make a sale of a "pet " quality horse. This just happened to me, a "local" up our way asked me for a reference on another well known breeder and I told this "local" ..she is excellent, hard to beat, ,and breeds for quality not quanity. I also told "local" that her horses which are all pet quality wouldnt stand a chance against one of the "other breeders show quality", I was not implying anything bad about her horses at all, only trying to make a point that you cant compare show quality to backyard pet quality. There is NOT a thing wrong with pet quality horses, but if you are looking for show quality, and in the price range of $3,500. that is NOT a bad price for a show quality colt! The bottom line was the "local" was trying to take a sale from the seasoned breeder and trying to sell the "locals" avg. stallion, just to make a sale. "I told her to forget him, and buy mine!" was the comment that was told to me. I told the "local" the truth and "local" got ticked off and replyed to me about how rude I was, well, she asked for a reference and I told "local"! If "local" didnt like to hear the truth "local" shouldnt of asked. I hate that when people have to be so greedy to sell a horse that they run another down. I have always tried to help sell a horse for my friends.. with some people it boils down to one thing, GREED! Then they wonder when there reputation is ruined why it happened. I tried to explain to the 'local" that comparing her horses to the other Wisconsin breeder would be like comparing apples to oranges..you just cant, but it was something 'local" didnt like to hear so ..OH WELL..life goes on! Its a great feeling knowing you can help place a unwanted horse,or a "forgotten" horse, but PLEASE people dont just get these horses to make a "quick buck" on them..stop and think of the future for the horses too. Greed will not get you anywhere, its much better to find a great loving lasting home for a horse then a "quick buck" anyday! Corinne

I have priced some horses in the past at what some might consider "ridiculous" prices, but they were priced where I hoped that they would NOT sell. Unfortunately, twice, a $50,000 price tag was not high enough to discourage the buyers and the horses left for new homes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back