Thinning thick forelock

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedMeadows

Reaction score
We have a mini with a very thick very long forelock. I would like to thin it out a bit to see his beautiful blue eyes but we don't want to lose the length. I hangs almost to his nose. Can someone give me some advice?

Well in thinning (pulling) it you would probably loose some length. Have you thought about taking your clippers and clipping in from each ear and taking some of the thickness out that way? Hope you know what i mean, like what you would do if you were showing a horse. You make that forelock about a pencil thickness wide. You wouldn't want to go that far i am sure but it would certainly take down the bulk of it. Of course you may loose some length that way too but you can seperate what you are thinking of cutting so you can see how it would look.

Any other ideas?

We take some from the side & underneath. Once you start this you have to keep doing it..... I don't like it too thin so can protect eyes from flies..

I made a huge mess out of Nick's forelock last year trying to thin his for a show. His forelock is like the hair that keeps on giving all year round.

Dumb, dumb, and more dumb. By the time I was finished, I wrecked him quite well. Should have left well enough alone and just gooped him up with tons of gel. I was really glad that it grew out quick as it did.

Good luck!

NickJuly1.jpg

I had the same dilemma with our gelding when we first bought him and in the end I decided to make sure his bridlepath was clipped right up to the bump on the top of his head and undercut his forelock like a triangle. I didn't want to kill length or have this little poofy forelock sprouting hair on either side by his ears, so two angled cuts underneath solved the problem nicely. We liked it how it was at that point, it still looked thick and lovely but we could see his eyes...and then he rubbed out a quarter/half-dollar sized spot on the right this spring!
new_shocked.gif
crybaby.gif
I've got to admit he actually looks great with it thinned down a bit further but I wish it wasn't so lopsided.
rolleyes.gif
It's going to be a fun process letting it grow back in then trimming it to be even.

Leia

Bluebell said:
You make that forelock about a pencil thickness wide. Any other ideas?
425455[/snapback]

new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
Are you kidding???? I know they have been getting the forelock thn but "ONLY" a pencil width???
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif

Robin

Well that maybe was an over exagerated thin width. Sorry about that. Good luck with what you decide. A nice forelock does help with bug control.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have clipped on either side sort of like a "V" around the edges of the forelock to thin it. I haven't ever had a horse that I thought could look okay at a show without thinning the forelock from the sides (or in some other way that I am unaware of). You want the forelock to be either wetted like down the center, or tucked into the side of the halter. You want the horse's head to be easily seen and not covered by a thick forelock.

Thanks for all the help. I think I will just do a bridle path and leave the rest alone. I am not showing him or anything but I don't want to mess it up. tee hee. Here is a picture of Mickey Blue Eyes. He actually has his forelock in a pony tail here put in by my daughter. tee hee. He is her horse. He has such pretty blue eyes under all that.

Painted Meadows Miniatures
mickeytealove.jpg

Awwww!!! He wears it well!!! He looks precious!!!

If your concern was getting it a little out of his eyes for the summer, and you like it full, you could put it in a braid, or even a few braids!

I have the exact opposite problems with one of my little mares. She has rubbed her forelock out on either the fence or a tree and it's like she's got a little poof of afro hair right on her forehead and that is all for now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you are not showing, then leave the forelock alone. He needs it for fly control! Nick doesn't need to wear a fly mask. His long thick forelock protects his eyes and face from them.

To clip the bridle path, just put your finger sideways over and on top of the poll. Shave up to there, but not over it. Always leave the forelock hairs to cover the poll.
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back