Thinking of retiring from driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You've heard the expression, "Your rights end where my nose begins."

This is perfectly illustrated by this situation. These people have no compunction about your right to enjoy the peace and quiet and to not be concerned for your safety or that of your animals, but if anyone says anything, they'll scream about their right to bear arms. I'm sorry, but having the right to protect oneself should not mean the right to make the neighbors' lives he11.

When we lived in Portland, our neighbor (who also had a 1/2 acre property) would target practice with his heavy duty cross bow, with only the target to catch the arrows and protect the homes and alley behind. Fortunately he and his family were renting, and when one of the homeowners behind their place found an arrow on his property, the wannabe huntsman was evicted.

The "right to bear arms" had nothing to do with protecting yourself it was put in there so the fledgling America would not have to have a standing army-which would have been very expensive- and expected everyone to carry a gun to protect the country. Of course, all that is now long forgotten and it is solidly entrenched in the minds of idiots like these that it is their right!! Probably the only part of their schooling that they do remember (am I being a snob here?? ) I appreciate that the conditions out there are completely different and if I lived in an isolated place I would have a gun and I would learn how to use it- the thing the majority of the world do not seem to realise is that I could do this, I would not have a problem getting a gun or learning to use it, with all the anally retentive laws we have, it is still relatively easy to get a gun if you are law abiding- all the guns used in atrocities over here were legally owned. Frightening, yes??

I think you maybe need to get a lawyer onto this- someone who knows which laws to look up- once you have a case the Police will act- they are only local law and their job is keeping the peace, after all, they do not know all the niceties of the law and probably feel as frustrated as you. At least they are not part of the "good ole boy " network!

Forget getting any help if you live in the South or VA.

Specially around here.... the trespassing and shooting off guns... towards my animals and house and even when I was riding or walking Maggie on my own

property last year was incredibly aggressive last year.

And forget about the Cops... they don't seem to care... we are just new people,unrelated to the locals. The locals are related to the cops... the Good ole boys club.... so they get away with all kinds of not

kosher things.

If this happens again... anyone with a loaded gun that shoots or is on my property, as per VA law... I am going to protect myself and shoot the SOB's and any hunting dog that comes on my place. Not going through another year of that kind of aggression.

With your neighbors... I would save the videos and get a lawyer... no one should be shooting towards your property. Guns aren't toys and they will kill or hurt animals or people.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lucky part is that they have youtubed themselves. I have plenty of video.

As far as cops, we have quite a few local guys that are friends and we allow some quiet deer hunting to thin the herd and they are trying to help us.

They were shooting last night some big super loud stuff and I went over to see which direction they were shooting, parked my car on the side of the road and they saw me and started laughing and jumping up and down and waving. jerks to the core.

At least they were pointing on the other side and not near my property line. Depending on which side of the creek they are on, they shoot in 2 different townships. I always go see where they are shooting so I can keep my family safe and now they look for me.

I am in Pa.

The "right to bear arms" had nothing to do with protecting yourself it was put in there so the fledgling America would not have to have a standing army-which would have been very expensive- and expected everyone to carry a gun to protect the country. Of course, all that is now long forgotten and it is solidly entrenched in the minds of idiots like these that it is their right!! Probably the only part of their schooling that they do remember (am I being a snob here?? ) I appreciate that the conditions out there are completely different and if I lived in an isolated place I would have a gun and I would learn how to use it- the thing the majority of the world do not seem to realise is that I could do this, I would not have a problem getting a gun or learning to use it, with all the anally retentive laws we have, it is still relatively easy to get a gun if you are law abiding- all the guns used in atrocities over here were legally owned. Frightening, yes??

I think you maybe need to get a lawyer onto this- someone who knows which laws to look up- once you have a case the Police will act- they are only local law and their job is keeping the peace, after all, they do not know all the niceties of the law and probably feel as frustrated as you. At least they are not part of the "good ole boy " network!
You are mistaken, Jane. The right to bear arms is just that--the right to bear arms. The fledgling Americans knew very well that when a citizenry is disarmed, the tyrant has nothing to stop him. When your country becomes perfect, then you can tell us "across the pond" what to do. Until that time, expect some flak.

The neighbors mentioned in this post exist in every country, every era, every culture. Society has been dealing with them for thousands of years. The problem has never been solved and it won't be until the end of the world because there will always be ornery humans.

Shorthorsemom is handling it very well.

As my brother said today... wisdom words, dont tick off guys with machine guns. haha.

I will continue to monitor and document and at the first shot, I go over and see where they are stationed and when they are pointing our direction, my kids are not allowed below the barn on that side of the road. I have great respect of guns and folks right to own them. This is a weird situation and we will handle delicately. Am still going to mention to our cop friend about the target shooting pointing our direction, I can't see where that is legal and maybe he can fix that for us. He lives adjoining our farm so he isn't happy with the noise either. When it gets real bad he parks his patrol car where they can see it and gives "presense" and they get nervous and quit.

My driving boy and my other horse are calming down and my fainting goats have quit keeling over, so whichever post suggested my critters would begin to be desensitized was correct. My dogs are doing ok, but we have more accidents in the house on shooting days. I do know the father of the one guy would be shocked it is still going on. He has always been a very quiet and respectful neighbor and I can't see him putting up with this for very long either so I am hoping it will burn itself out eventually.

Thanks for all your support folks... I will keep you posted. the world is so diverse on the subject of guns and gun control and I have always felt that that topic is personal in nature and we could debate for centuries on that one, but I think we better not go there for now. I think these folks are super oddballs and as our cop friend says... there is one in every neighborhood that just doesn't belong and these guys are ours. quiet today and last night I saw the dad drive through our road in his fancy classic GTO convertable (thought he was away for weekend), so maybe somebody tipped him off about yesterday because they have been quiet as a mouse today. The dad stopped by once a few weeks ago and told us he was stopping them from shooting and I bet he didn't know they had started up again. fingers crossed things will work out. thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well...I'm on this side of the pond, and I'm fed up with the yahoos taking what was intended to prevent tyrannical governments and perverting it to where every sick s.o.b. claims his right to buy assault rifles. I know this all too well, as I have a mentally unstable BIL who claims to be "investing" in them, comparing his guns to our musical instruments ("it's my art"), and being allowed a concealed weapons permit despite his public record. He considers me to be a rabid anti-gun activist and has made not-so-veiled threats in my general direction. But hey, he's within his legal rights....

Latest posts

Back