Thinking about showing in a local fun show...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novachick

Reaction score
My daughter, Katie and I, were thinking about showing in a local fun show. One of the new minis we have coming this weekend I am hoping can be a bit of a confidence builder for my daughter. My daughter is only 4, and Goldi, my yearling, is just too big and too wild for her to handle right now. Katie really wants to work with her, but is understandable scared.

When we were looking at Red (our new mare coming this weekend), she came right up to Katie in the field and was right in her face and following her around! It was such a sweet moment! And the main reason we had to get her!
default_wub.png

Anyway, I'm thinking maybe Katie can show Red in the Pee Wee and fun classes at our local fun show. But I have no idea how I should have Katie start or what she should work on. I'm completely new to horses as well, so I'm not a very good teacher. Does anyone have any basic advice on what she should do?

Thanks - Jen

Well, I sure hope someone else jumps in to comment, but I will toss out a few thoughts. First of all, make sure the new mini has plenty of time to get used to your place and her new home and family. Don't expect that she will act just like she did in that field, especially at first. So first advice would be start very slowly. Also, if you have never shown horses of any size, you need to know that taking them to a show is new experience, and some are better at adjusting than others. Some people take horses to shows (even minis) just to get them used to the experience before they actually enter them in classes. If you can go to a show without the minis first and find someone who can give you on the spot advice and help, that would be best. Is there a Club you could join? Someone who could mentor you? Open fun shows can be lots of fun - that is the whole point - but it would really help of you weren't totally on your own.

As far as training, I would start with making sure the mini leads well at the walk and trot, knows the word "whoa" and stands still. Good luck with her! Post pictures when you get her!

I think fun shows are a great way to get your feet wet. Most clubs that put them on have people there to help anyone new. What classes are you thinking of showing in?? If its halter be sure the horse will whoa and stand reasonably well. Those are good things to work on.

I do agree though that I would not overly stress a new horse. do you have some time before the show??

You guys will have a lot of fun!

I would start by attending the show without the horse so you can see what it's about, plus get an idea of what to work on for the next show without the stress of having to figure it out as you go.

We went to the spring show just to watch and they are very laid back...I was actually very surprised...I expected a bit more formal. But I think that will be perfect for us, because didn't seem to be much stress involved at all. There were many horses that just didn't want to do what asked of them and there was a lot of help from the crowd, judges and other mini owners there. I want it to be a completely fun event for us...I don't want to freak out about it.

We dont' have much time between her arrival and the show....so I may consider putting off our plan till next time. But please keep the advice coming, I'd love to hear it!
default_smile.png

Horses will need time to adjust to a new home, new ownership,the enviroment changes, and a new routine before trying to show them soon after arrival. Later on, work with them on how to show after they respect you and go and watch what to do at a show and get pointers from show people that way you will know what to do first and do it in learning steps.

It takes time and patience for everything to come together, especially on an horse that will not know what to expect from you right off from the beginning since she is new to you, its a learning experience for all of you to learn together.

I agree, even when they are used to the new place, when you take them out to a show, they may not be the same as they are at home! So be prepared for that.

The open shows are usually pretty laid back and FUN (dont forget that part of it) until it is YOU that is getting ready to go in... I remember way back and having horrible jitters at my first few shows. Just remember to take a deep breath and relax, so your tension does not pass on to your four legged friend too.

Observe EVERYthing you can while there- grooming, how they stand, and dont be afraid to ask people questions before or after the class either. Most folks are very willing to help out. Look at how Minis are clipped for the ring, and make SURE your horse is absolutely clean, including outside of feet scrubbed and done before going to the show. Dont be afraid either, to ask the judge why you placed as you did- tell them it's your first and most of them are really helpful too and can give you a quick pointer or two to work on....

I always make sure I have my grooming stuff packed the night before, including clean water and a towel if needed- to clean nostrils, etc.. and give a quick wipe down if need be. I also always take my own water bucket for the horse- do NOT share water buckets/tubs with other livestock or horses or use a 'public' one that is sometimes available at these places.

The big thing is - have FUN but observe all you can and take notes if need be. Pics really help too!! If you have someone to go with you to photo the horse and handler while in the ring!

Hi everyone!

I think from the advice I am getting, I may sit this one out and just go and watch again and this time ask a lot of questions. I just checked the date and expected it to be in October and this year they moved it up to September and you guys are right, that will be too soon and won't leave enough time for adjustment.

Jen

Latest posts

Back