Thinking about Lyn's post

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

js1arab

Reaction score
This kind of stupidity that happened to Lyn is exactly why the world isn't nearly as fun as it once was!!!!! It used to be everyone helped each other. A few years back, we had a lady who's family just purchased horses and one of them was a foal who injured itself right after arrival. She didn't know anything about horses and was really a bit afraid (it was her husbands project but he drove a truck and always gone
wacko.gif
) Anyway. I was asked if I would come give the injections the vet recommended. I said I was very sorry, but I couldn't afford the liability involved. I did agree to meet the vet everyday so that she wouldn't have to hold the foal. The foal was still not sure of people and was quite large already (QH). What a shame. It cost her a ton more money that way and even though she swore to me she wouldn't sue, things change if the horse jumps and I put the medicine in a blood vessel
sad.gif

I get asked constantly (just again this week) if I will do pony rides. I would love to as I love to see kids having a good time and it would give the horses something to do but stand all day. I am terrified of being sued though.

Years ago, lots of farms used to give farm tours and people started getting sued for other people's stupidity. Parents would let their kids wander away and they'd get hurt in places they never should have been in the first place.

Same thing with trail riding. There was a time when a trail ride was huge. Everyone would bring all the horses they could fit in a trailer and anyone who showed up without a horse to ride would then have something to ride. People just wanted to have fun and help each other. Not anymore.

This scenario is a bit off topic, but our local 4-H has a BBQ every year to provide funds for camp scholarships etc. One of the biggest draws used to be the homemade pies/cakes. Other organizations used to do similar things. Churches etc. had suppers and offered home cooked foods. Now the health dept had made it very difficult to do any of this. And any type of cream pie is forbidden at most events. What a shame. I know it really hurt our BBQ for awhile.

Well, I guess I'll be quiet now as I'm getting madder the more things I think of that have been ruined by pain in the butt people who don't have the good sense God gave a goose. Some days it almsot feels like being in jail to have my life dictated by the fear of a lawsuit.
shutup.gif
shutup.gif
shutup.gif

Oh, just wanted to add too that I hope the people who do these dumb things are reading this. Not only are they hurting someone over some petty disagreements, but by bringing litigation about for this, they just continue to put the bug in someones mind to sue over something else equally petty. Things snowball and people are now sueing for such dumb things that eventually someone will find something that these people enjoy and come up with some reason to sue them, now how fun is that. I think people are just looking for reasons to be hurtful and get rich quick and in the long run it will come back to haunt them and somehow things always come full circle in time.

You know that is so true. I used to live in a town that was almost 100 miles from the nearest vet. It was very expensive to have a vet come over, or to take a horse to him so my Dad and I were always being asked to work on horses. I've always done most of my own veterinary work from suturing wounds, to colic, wrapping stressed legs, pretty much anything that didn't require x-rays or surgery. However, as much as I would have liked to help my friends I just couldn't do it. I felt so bad when someone would call and beg for help and I'd have to turn them down.
bye-sad.gif
I've also been to shows and rodeos where a horse would hurt a leg, or get colic and the vet would say give him some banamine until I get there. I was one of the few who could hit a vein, but I'd have to say no in the name of getting sued or even going to jail over giving drugs. Another example was that everyone on the rodeo trail used to load horses to friends and haul from rodeo to rodeo for anyone that was going that way. Now you just can't haul someones horse for them anymore, or loan them horses because of the liability that goes with that. I'm sorry and I'll quit now before I go over the edge.
shutup.gif

Latest posts

Back