Think this response to my for sale ad is a scam?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy's_mom

Reaction score
Hello all! I posted a for sale ad on another website for one of our donkeys that we're selling. I try to be as honest as I can when selling anything so buyers won't think bad about me or my animals. I won't put the name of the person sending the email but I would like everyone to look at this and tell me how many red flags you come up with when reading it. Just so you know we're NOT selling this donkey to this person, she will stay with us until the proper home is found. Everything I stated in the email is true about this particular donkey. She's very sweet when around humans and soaks up all the attention you can give her but she's just not the best suited animal for in our small, quiet, and docile herd.

Potential buyer - 1st email:

DOES SHE RIDE AND I AM NEAR BROOKVILLE, HOW FAR ARE YOU FROM ME AND WHICH PART OF STATE, LOL, WE HAVE TONS OF DONKS HERE AND SHE WOULD GET A GREAT HOME.

My response back to this person:

Hello! Thanks for your interest in xxxx. We've never had anyone on xxxx's back and the previous owners never rode her either so I'm pretty sure that she doesn't ride. With the right training though I'm sure she could be taught to ride. If you live near I-80 (brookville) and depending on which way you come your about 2.5-3 hours from me. Do you have a vet and farrier that you use regularly and could I have their names/phone numbers please? xxxx's a great girl and loves people but she just doesn't get along with any of our other donkeys and horses, as she's our dominate one here. Just so you are aware she's NOT a perfect candidate for breeding, she's been very mean to the babies here including her own so we would prefer her to not be pastured with any babies, but she is breeding sound. If you have any more questions about xxxx please feel free to ask them!

Potential buyer - 2nd email

thank you, we have about 120 head of horses, ponies, donkeys, etc. I have pony express pony rides for children and have been a rescue here for years, work with my best friend, a vet out of fort lauderdale florida, here all summer and i have about 20 best of friends that are farriers, know many dealers which send horses here needing care. Emergency care if ever i use fox run. We do most of our own vet care here and even gelding our own studs. Been in this my whole life and do it for the love of the critters not the money.

SOOO...what would you think if this where sent to you?

Becky M.

May not be a scam, but I'd have red flags up for other reasons.

Good luck finding the right home for your gal.

She has 120 and thinks she needs 1 more?

Sorry, that's not my style and there is no way I would sell to her. RED FLAG CITY

I don't see a scam, but I do see someone I would not sell to. I would have to question why anyone with tons of donks and 120 head in all wants to buy more--but what really makes me say no thanks is the 'do my own vet work'.

Granted, I do much of my own vet work too but gelding my own horses? NO! I would want to know....when this person does the gelding, is the horse given drugs or is it simply restrained with ropes? I will not sell a horse to anyone that gelds a horse without drugs!!

I totally agree, these are the two flags that would make me say NO.

Thanks everyone for the replies! Diane, maybe I should have clarified that this person was from PA that was contacting me, sorry about that! I do realize that most people can do their own vet and farrier work (this I do on most of my animals) but there were still red flags that went up.

When I got the first email I was a little suspicious b/c they hadn't taken the time to find our location and how far it was from them (that's the first thing I do when looking at something for sale!.Then when I got the second email and read it I knew she was not the right home at all. So I sent an email telling them that we're sorry but their not the right home for our girl and that we will continue to look for the proper home for her.

So our donkey girl will be here until that home comes along.

Becky M.

I dont think scam but i think there are red flags. I wouldnt sale to her. you asked for vet name and number not location of the vet and how many friends she has isnt relevant you asked for contact numbers to verify care of animal. I see red flag but then im not to trusting either

Perhaps, in the future, if you are concerned about a potential home you could visit the potential buyers. While you may not want to drive that far, a visit would have answered all your questions. I agree that gelding without sedation is cruel, but I would have asked more questions to find out exactly how it is carried out. Without asking, you simply don't know all the facts. Perhaps someone on the ranch has special training. It may not be likely, but without asking you don't know.

Not everyone is as literate as we would like.

While having 120 head is more than most people can handle, you don't know how much help this person has. Since they aren't in it for the money, perhaps money isn't an issue for them.

In my opinion, there wasn't enough info to judge it as a bad home. I would at least have followed up with a phone conversation to get a better feel for the buyer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scam or not, who would sell to homes like that
default_wacko.png

Reading the emails a bit more closely, They take in horses that need care from "DEALERS". Also, it appears that if it is something that they can not handle they use Fox Run. I think I would call Fox Run and ask about this potential buyer. If Fox Run has never heard of them, that would be the final red flag.

Latest posts

Back