Think before you speak

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovinarabs

Reaction score
I'm going to put this on the mini donkey forum to share with my donkey buds, but thought you all might be able to relate. Why don't people think before they speak? Sophie's daycare was having a farm theme week last week and they were discussing farm animals. Her daycare teacher is also my neighbor and her husband helps us out when we need a tractor from time to time. She stopped me one day to ask, "What are donkeys good for, besides being ugly that is?" Seriously, huh???? Did you think before you opened your mouth? Being as I have to keep the peace I just gave a quick answer on what donkeys CAN be used for and left. She could probably tell that I wasn't thrilled with the question as I never said goodbye, have a good night or anything like that and just kind of stuffed Sophie in her coat and out the door. But it got me to writing again.

I Am A Donkey
I am a donkey. That in itself seems to set many people into laughter. So many people seem to find what I am as a source of great amusement. Perhaps it is my long ears that people find funny. I truly do not see why. My ears allow me to hear a predator coming from a long distance away. I can tell what size the predator is, how fast they are moving and the appropriate response to take. One of my many jobs is to protect my herd. I take this job very seriously and my ears are a big part of how I can be successful at my job. Besides, my humans think they’re cute.

Maybe it is my small size that people find so humorous. Perhaps if I were born with the long graceful legs of a runner or the wide back of a noble steed they would find me more attractive. I feel no shame. My legs and feet are sturdy and sound. I can move quickly across an open field or slowly pick my way along the rocky mountainside. There is no need to fear a misstep on my part. My body is built for traveling across the treacherous terrain of my ancestors. You will not find a more sure footed companion than me.

Could it be my short tail and my fuzzy little mane? If I had been born with long, flowing locks would people have found me beautiful then? My tail works great for switching the bugs off of my back and I don’t have all that long hair to become tangled and torn upon the brushes and briars of my natural environment. I know my human appreciates my short locks when the burdocks are full grown.

I often overhear people ask my human what I’m good for. Her answer always makes me feel warm inside. I know that my human loves me for who I am, not what I can do for her. However, she always leaves no doubt in other’s minds about my true value.

“What are they good for? Hmmm… let’s see. Our donkeys make excellent pasture companions for our other equines. I never have to worry anymore when I go riding, that the horses left behind will become lonely or scared. They have their donkey boys to keep them company. They are great guard animals. I worried about neighbor dogs, coyotes and other predators, but with Buddy and Trooper to protect my aging herd I can sleep easily at night. Donkeys can be trained to pull a cart, pack a load or even carry a small rider. Our donkeys are not trained, but that is not a problem. Because to us our donkeys are good for more than what they can do for us. They are good for returning our love more than a hundred fold. They are good for offering their shoulders as a place to rest our weary selves at the end of a long hard day. They are good for burying their little heads against our chests and taking the pain away when we come to them with our problems. They are good for giving us smiles as we watch them play and clown around. They are good for teaching us patience, responsibility and respect. They are priceless.â€

I hear the frustration in my human’s voice all the time. She often talks to me and tells me how much she loves me and how sad she is that others don’t see me for what I truly am. She says that if they only knew me, they would understand. Being a donkey is what I am, and I am proud to be me.

Wow, thats.... really good. Very touching. Your an amazing writer, you deffentally get into the 1st person(well, donkey) persective very well. I also wish people would think before they speak.

Last edited by a moderator:
When my daughter was very young,someone asked what good that stupid pony was for anways. And before i could answer, she said my pony is good for wovin
default_wub.png
:

Sometimes out of the mouthes of babes.......

Bon

I think some months ago I went off on a rant about something like this involving minis and my dogs... but it wasn't nearly so well written as this.
default_wub.png
:

I hear that all the time about my mini (what is it good for?) and I have two small hairless dogs who get called ugly all the time and people ask me what they are good for. This comes from people with hunting dogs who have never gone hunting and live chained to a tree in the back yard. What good is it to have a dog or a horse that is 'good for something' if you never use it for that anyway? My animals are good for loving, and good for returning that affection. My horse will someday be good for driving, and backpacking, and looking good in the pasture. My dogs are good for comforting me, for being my companions, for keeping my feet warm and for making me laugh. Mostly they are good for making my life better by their very existence, why do they have to be good for anything else??? As long as i enjoy having them why should anyone else care if they are "good for something".

In my rapidly advancing age I have become cranky about it all. I used to explain these things kindly in hopes that someone would understand. But now... if I'm not in the right mood I usually just say, "I dunno, what are YOU good for?" or, "Where i come from we don't consider it appropriate make rude, insulting and obnoxious comments to people about something they love."

default_unsure.png
:

Of course if they really seem interested and not condescending about it i educate them, but if they just sound like they are being snotty... well... my tongue isn't very well leash trained these days.
default_wacko.png
:

Good essay!

And since when is a donkey UGLY???? I think they are adorable! (Maybe I'm a little prejudiced since we have two of our own, but I don't think so.)

MA

But now... if I'm not in the right mood I usually just say, "I dunno, what are YOU good for?" or, "Where i come from we don't consider it appropriate make rude, insulting and obnoxious comments to people about something they love."

Of course if they really seem interested and not condescending about it i educate them, but if they just sound like they are being snotty... well... my tongue isn't very well leash trained these days.
Oh thanks for the good chuckle, Warpony! :aktion033: I have to say this thread moved me. I often wonder about that about little creatures I see around and how people treat them just because they look diferent or they "are" different. Having said that, I've never owned a donkey, but it is on my to-do list one of these old days. I'm a soft touch for the underdogs.

I am not a big Christian, but I would have had to say that a donkey carried the most precious gift the world has ever known. I do like your explanation, very well said!

:aktion033: great essay lovinarabs, very well written. I love donkeys of all sizes but I have a special liking for the mini donkeys. I had one on loan to keep my old mare company, he surely worked his way into my heart
default_wub.png
: Unfortunately when she passed he grieved so much and would not be in the paddocks with any of the other animals, he went home to be with some other donkeys, I still visit him and he remembers me but seems very happy where he is.
default_yes.gif
:

Yvonne

I"Where i come from we don't consider it appropriate make rude, insulting and obnoxious comments to people about something they love."

now THAT is priceless!! if only i can remember it when the time comes!

i already answered this on the donkey forum too but with so many more people on this thread i have to say... i too hear that all the time about my donks, my favorite is when people say they are stubborn and i always respond that no it is NOT that donkeys are stubborn, it is that PEOPLE are IMPATIENT!

i have also had several people say "i am just not a donkey person" and i say "i'll bet i can tell you why" and they ask "why" and i ask them "how much time have you actually spent with a donkey" and of course their answer is "none" - well there you have it. THAT is why you are not a donkey person... mammoth to mini and every size in between, i have never met a donkey that did not touch my heart...
default_wub.png
:

How true your writing is . We have two Jennys. One named Jenny and the other Carmen that guard our horeses make us smile and our just sweethearts.They bring much joy and happiness into our lives.
default_yes.gif
:

Good point, Pepipony...A donkey was good enough to carry Mary to Bethlehem so she could give birth to Jesus, and the donkey bears that cross marking in honor, on his/her shoulders.
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:

:aktion033: :aktion033:

Love the donkey writing... they are noble animals and beautiful to me!

Denise

Silversong Farm

Last edited by a moderator:
mercysmom: Is this what you were thinking of? I love this poem. Does anyone have where it tells how they got the stripes on their legs? Am I write in thinking it had something to do with the palms on Palm Sunday? They truly are a noble creature.

Legend of the Donkey's Cross
"Bring me the colt of a donkey,"

was the Master's request.

A young donkey was brought to Jesus to carry him to Jerusalem.

A week later Jesus was ordered crucified.

The little donkey so loved the Lord,

that he wanted to help carry the cross.

But alas, he was pushed away.

The sad little donkey waited to say good-bye until nearly all had left.

As he turned to leave, the shadow of the cross fell upon his shoulders.

And there it has remained,

a tribute to the loyalty and love

of the humblest of God's Creatures.

Latest posts

Back