Things to use to get good pictures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlenehorse

Reaction score
Awhile back there was a post on what people use to get their minis attention to get good pictures. I printed the list out and saved it and my computer crashed. I tried doing a search but it must have been too old. Could someone please add the things they use to get the horse's attention for getting good pictures.

Thanks
smile.gif

I didn't see the post and have a heck of a time myself. If there is a stallion near by that will get the attention of another horse and give you a nice ears/head up picture usually. I have also heard that some professionals use a mirror. The horse see itself in the mirror and gets curious. I haven't tried that. The popcorn packing that pops and makes a crunching noise will sometimes work. But almost 100% of the time....set your camera down where you can't reach it and you have just missed a terrific picture.

Hope someone else can help you.

Well isn't that the truth everytime something cute happens with the foals the camera is in the house or turned off. By the time you turn it on they are gone. I remembered the mirror but there were tons of other good ideas. Next time I will print the page out instead of just saving it.

smile.gif

A light reflector that is near hula hoop size and a smelly dead animal skin (may be obtainable from a taxidermist if you can't get one otherwise) can work well.

I've also used a plastic shopping bag....had an assistant crawl through the bushes...been the assistant that draped myself in a blanket and crawled toward the horse...

I KNOW, I KNOW

A screaming monkey that doubles as a Carlene shooter!!!

Sorry folks, but I had to do this to Carlene, LOL. I wonder how long it will take her to call me....

My primary attention-getting gimmicks are:

1) mirror

2) a stuffed horse that whinnies when you press his belly

3) a shiny pom pom like a cheerleader would use

4) another horse

5) alfalfa hay or feed in a pan

Other things I resort to:

1) smelly things - musky perfumes, minty toothpaste, some "au natural" smells from a mare for a stallion or vice versa (you can use a wash cloth or tissue to collect them)

2) Squeaky toys

3) coins in a metal pan

4) blinky, flashy toys from the kids toy department

Robin C

Thanks so much I have now saved this information to a disc just in case. If you have any more suggestions I will add them to the list.
biggrin.gif

Alicia threw a screaming monkey at me today at work that is where her post came from. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
tarp over human acting like the boogie man

pot bellied pig (too bad my stupid camera died at that moment)

rocks in a milk jug (shaker )

flicking a lighter

crinkly celophane (like off a pack of smokes)

fire crackers (particularly the ones that just kinda fizzle and sparkle)

all the ones RobinC posted I have had some success with

I am usually the bait and have had to do some very dumb things over the years
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

tossing a pail of water towards the horse

stuffed toys that make noises

opening an umbrella in front of them can work

flying a kite

hire someone to parachute into the field that should do it
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

We have had some success getting a "look" plus that tail in the air, snorty trot w/ours by using one of my son's RC trucks pulling a string of empty aluminum cans. We can control it easily and get the horses to follow it w/their eyes, or drive towards them to get that really surprised almost ready to run off look.

Liz M.

Another advice:

Try to have a second photographer to make pictures of the 'assistant'
biggrin.gif
, that should be interesting...
laugh.gif

My hubby always has a hilarious time when he's watching (yes watching, not helping at all) me trying to make that perfect picture... I truly hope he never gets the idear to take his camera...
wacko.gif

Latest posts

Back