Things are finally slowing down a little.......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alongman

Reaction score
WOW! What a month. I met someone new who has really been a positive in my life. We met when I brought him a patient to the emergency room and have been together now for a little over a month. He comes to the farm, helps with the horses. Cleans stalls, bathes and works the horses and even showed for me this past weekend when my hands were full. He's unlike anyone else - I thought I had loved or been loved, but always had those doubts. So far, no regrets or any doubts. What does that mean?

Also, I've been working for the same company as a paramedic for the past several years. Recently, they started doing some not-so-ethical things with a strong lean on maybe not-so-legal (changing billing codes to patients to maximize profits, etc....) Needless-to-say, I spoke up. Go figure, me with the inability to shut up and play along. I consider myself a HUGE patient advocate and will ALWAYS do what's best for them despite what's best for the company. This has been going on for a while now. Over the past few months, to a much worse degree. There were several of us who spoke up and refused to play the game anymore. We voiced our opinions and placed ourselves smack dab in the middle of the firing squad. (Managers don't like to be told they're wrong!) The company wanted more and more information from us, which, at the recommendation of our Union we didn't provide. This made them more angry. They fabricated stuff about each of us and made it a living heck. As of July, myself and several others left the company - no tears, minimal stress and actually getting much more time to spend with the horses. It was scary - there is security in big companies. I figured, let the Union and lawyers deal with the company and enjoy life.

So, here I am. I finally sleep decent hours, have been eating more healthy and in general just am more happy. I am looking at a huge career change into the insurance and sales fields. I have two strong offers (one in each field). I still am flying as a paramedic on a part-time basis as I think that medicine will always be in my blood.

My question for you is - are any of you involved in insurance sales? If so, what are the pros and cons of it? Also, corporate sales? Any advice? I'm looking to make a good decision for myself and my family.

have you ever thought of combining the two? Big insurance companies have medical people on staff to look at claims to determine if the diagnosis and treatment fit together. They are kind of the watch dog of the doctors to be sure the insurance company is not getting duped.

Something to think about.

That would actually be a small part of the insurance gig. I would do some review of medical claims as well as evaluation for long-term care insurance. The company is Bankers' Life and Casualty. Anyone know of the company?

I know of the company
default_yes.gif

Best of luck to you. You will do well in anything, I think, with your personality and wanting to do the right thing by your clients/customers/patients.

Wow! Good for you Adam. What an exciting/scary time in your life. I'm sure everything will work out great. I worked for an insurance company for a while. I had my insurance license and mutual fund license (both are killer tests). It wasn't for me though. It takes a certain personality to sell insurance/mutual funds etc. And if you've got it, you can be very successful at it. Good Luck Adam!!!!

Congratulations on your life change. I think its great not only that you have found someone to share your life with but that you made a tough decision to do what was right. Your going to make it far in your life and happiness will always be there. I admire you. Good luck with your new career and will you be in Tulsa??? LOL

Wow you have gone through some big changes!

My dad, brothers and myself are all in sales. My dad always said if you can sell----it doesnt matter what it is---you can sell it. I do believe that is true. Sales really is about personality weather its houses, cars, remodeling or insurance.

Go with your heart on the new relationship. Sounds like it may be a very good one. Just dont let things from the past keep you from enjoying your new relationship today. I know some of my friends have been so hurt in the past that they just dont give anyone a real chance at a relationship with them for a future

Wishing you all the best!

Kay

Thanks guys! It's nice to have this support from you guys. I'm a little nervous about the career change, but looking forward to it. Yep, I'll be in Tulsa for the duration! Everyone will have to stop by and see the show kids, meet my horsey family of friends and meet the new guy as well.
default_smile.png
He told me today that he's able to come down! I'm so excited about the whole thing. I LOVE my clients (friends) and the horses they have given me to work with. I have faith that everything is falling into place.

Adam, you sound very happy! Congratulations on your new relationship and the love you feel, and also good luck on your career change!

Change must be in the air! I've just found out this week that my job will be made redundant and I too am actually looking forward to a change
default_smile.png

My current role includes insurance sales and as Kaykay mentioned, if you have the gift to sell you will be very successful.

Pros: Helping people protect themselves and KNOWING it's ethical, increasing their sense of worth, good pay, a chance to be yourself as that's what people will buy - doesn't matter about the product, the brand is YOU
default_wink.png

Cons: People can always be difficult to deal with and you always have to act as you MUST not as you FEEL which can be hard some days! Hours can be long, but I always managed to fit the horses in there.

All the very best, keep poistive and you will succeed

Pros: Helping people protect themselves and KNOWING it's ethical, increasing their sense of worth, good pay, a chance to be yourself as that's what people will buy - doesn't matter about the product, the brand is YOU
default_wink.png
Good luck in your changes as well. I'm hoping that I'm the "up and coming" brand thats trendy and people want, not the "off brand" that winds up in the back alley or flown as the tail on a flag.
default_smile.png

default_saludando.gif
Hey Adam,

I'm so glad to hear that you are happy again! You deserve it! Life is so short and time flies. Enjoy these times and don't let the past spoil the present! Good for you that you stood up for what is right! I just know things will work out for you! Prayers are there!

God bless,

Joan

You will be the "trendy brand" - you just gotta find your fit
default_smile.png

Keep us posted
default_saludando.gif

Wow! Good for you Adam. What an exciting/scary time in your life. I'm sure everything will work out great. I worked for an insurance company for a while. I had my insurance license and mutual fund license (both are killer tests). It wasn't for me though. It takes a certain personality to sell insurance/mutual funds etc. And if you've got it, you can be very successful at it. Good Luck Adam!!!!
Matt --

I never new that about you! When I first started in 1995, that's what I had, too. In VA, the insurance license is easy but the Mutual Funds (Series 6 here) was tough. Now I have a 7 (stock brokers) and 24 (Registered Principal) and 65 (Registered Investment Advisor). Haven't sold a mutual fund in years and then only for an insistant client who had sold herself on one
default_laugh.png
(because I don't recommend them anymore to my clients).

I swear... miniature horses, dogs, cats, American Dad and a former similar career!!! No wonder I've always liked you so much
default_biggrin.png

Ah Adam, how wonderful all around. This month is one of huge changes for many. They'll scratch their heads and say, "what the...?" but all the changes will come together in a positive way by years end. Congratulations all around, you can't lose.

Matt --

I never new that about you! When I first started in 1995, that's what I had, too. In VA, the insurance license is easy but the Mutual Funds (Series 6 here) was tough. Now I have a 7 (stock brokers) and 24 (Registered Principal) and 65 (Registered Investment Advisor). Haven't sold a mutual fund in years and then only for an insistant client who had sold herself on one
default_laugh.png
(because I don't recommend them anymore to my clients).

I swear... miniature horses, dogs, cats, American Dad and a former similar career!!! No wonder I've always liked you so much
default_biggrin.png
default_blush.png

Latest posts

Back