Thin tail

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinacvt

Reaction score
a tail back? My yearling filly had a nice full tail when I bought her and within the last 3 months it has turned into a wisp. I have put her tail up in bags and she always gets them off
wacko.gif

I just braided her tail as a last resort and left it down and her hair was breaking off in hunks
new_shocked.gif

Help
please.gif

get some shapelys mane and tail conditioner asap. this stuff really works. If you keep putting it on and massaging it into the tail bone you will see a difference in a week. i would stop wrapping it and braiding it until you get the hair growing back in.

Is it possible another horse is chewing it?? around here if someone suddenly gets a small tail we know another horse has been chewing on it. seems to happen alot to yearlings

could she be rubbing the top of her tail somewhere? If so, you need to treat that problem as well as use the other ideas. I heard that you could use listerene on the tail stub to stop the itching. You might check for worms or lice. These would cause here to itch and rub. Also, use ribbon to braid and tie the tail and then wrap in vet wrap to keep nicer.

dannigirl said:
could she be rubbing the top of her tail somewhere?  If so, you need to treat that problem as well as use the other ideas.  I heard that you could use listerene on the tail stub to stop the itching.  You might check for worms or lice. These would cause here to itch and rub.  Also, use ribbon to braid and tie the tail and then wrap in vet wrap to keep nicer.
426240[/snapback]

I dont know how to explain this but if she is rubbing then you will want to rub her teats and get all the black dryed stuff of of her teats!! It just like dryed oil grees or something simlar to shoe wax that has dried! my mare had a UGLY tail and she kept rubbing it, I found out that I needed to clean her teat area off!! and it grew in and she looks great!

PS: if you get lots of stuff on your hand, that means your getting the ichy stuff off!!!!

-Gage-

Back