thin jennet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpotze

Reaction score
I would like to know if anyone has suggestions for a thin jennet. She is 11 years old. I purchased her, in foal, about 3 months ago. She was huge and the foal was due mid July. On Friday she went into labor and of course I knew it was way too soon, but also things weren't going well, so I had my vet out and we got the baby out. It was breech and would have been mostly white, little jennet. I was devastated. The cord was badly twisted which is what caused the demise of the fetus. Anyway, ever since I brought this girl home, I have been gradually giving her grain. The people I got her from didn't grain at all. I am hoping to get her bred back, but hate to do so until I can get her built up a bit. She had a beautiful spotted jack last year and they said she is such a wonderful mom. I felt so awful for her. Yesterday, she went out into the pasture and was laying in the exact spot where she first lay down and started to labor. I know she was grieving. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I know she feels the loss.

I don't want to just pour grain into her as I know donkeys can get that fat neck very easily and yet I can't have her be this thin. Any good ideas?

Thanks

Am so sorry,, is very hard when that happens.

First I would ask, when is the last time she was wormed?

Have her teeth been checked?

You are right, giving her lots of grain will just cause you & her more problems.

I would free feed her Grass hay, the slowly add in some timothy if you can get it.

Make sure she gets some Vitamins, has access to both white salt block and a mineral block.

Is going to take time, and if it was me, I would give her a year off from breeding just to be on the safe side.

Latest posts

Back