Thimbles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGahr

Reaction score
I have collected my little band of geldings and most of them drive. One we have not been able to find a breeching small enough for--even the one we had made does not look comfortable so I got some "thimbles"

but not sure wehre to start. Anyone else use them?

I know some people think breechings are not necessary but my land is rolling and I do not have a straight flat area that is adequate so looking for alternatives. Thanks!

Showing in 4-H, I always have to have bretching or thimbles.

You can PM me with specific questions if you wish.

I have used thinmbles, but found that on hilly land they aren't really much more use that the wrap-straps. I have used what is called "false breeching" for several years now, both in and out of the ring with success. You can find more about them if you just Google for them, I'm sure, if not, PM me for some pictures.

I'd like to hear more about the false breeching, and I bet others would, too. Can you discuss it more here on the forum rather than just on a PM? Thanks!

Bad timeing, my desktop just died, and it has all my pictures. :DOH!
default_sad.png
Hopefully, I can get it back up and running ASAP.
default_unsure.png

I will see if I can find some pitures for you elsewhere, and will post the links.
default_yes.gif

A false-breeching is connected to the shaves, rather than the horse, or harness. I have mine adjusted so that it barely touches the horse's rump when standing still, allowing for the freedom of movement when the hind legs are at thier furthest extension to the rear. Like a "proper" breeching, it really only comes into play when going down hills, or when backing the horse.

I have seen photos of false breeching, but can't for the life of me remember WHERE!

It is just a strap that goes across from shaft to shaft behind the horse, basically...but Sue, how do you attach it to the shafts so that it wouldn't just 'slide' back along the shafts when engaged? Do you have footman loops or similar hardware that you 'thread' the ends of the strap through?

I have tried thimbles; didn't much like them. There is too much possibility of a 'slingshot' effect when stopping or even backing to suit me. Proper adjustment will help, but not eliminate, this phenomenon. The harness saddle may still be 'tilted' and 'dig into' the horse's back, and/or just put too much pressure over the relatively narrow 'base' of the harness saddle, IMO.

I don't believe there is ANY really GOOD 'substitute' for genuine(and of course, properly adjusted!) breeching. If you are willing to pay for it, it can be custom-made to fit ANY horse, I believe--and if I had 'hilly' country to drive in, I'd want NOTHING else but the 'real deal'!

Margo

Back