Thick neck

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsehug

Reaction score
This is a question for any of you who have owned mature stallions who have developed very thick necks as they matured, and then had them gelded. After they have been gelded, have you noticed if the neck has gone back to not being so thick? Or is that thick stallion neck something they keep the rest of their lives?

Thanks!

Susan O.

Unfortunately gelding did not help the thick neck. I gelding my stallion around 8 years old. I have put him on the supplement Quiessence and that has helped a little.

I wonder if the thick neck is not just due to his being a stallion but could he also be insulin resistant? That can cause a heavy crest which often just looks like a "thick neck". If that is the case a supplement with Magnesium and chromium such as Quiessence or Remission will help, as will a low starch diet. Neck sweats can also help. Our stallion was gelded at age 11 and never had a thick neck so not all stallions develop one.

Latest posts

Back