They're home!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DancinWithDiamonds

Reaction score
Well, they are finally home!! I had never actually seen my foal (excpet pictures), so combined with the fact that he has a broken nose, I had no idea what to expect. I am happy to report that I am just absolutely IN LOVE with this foal. He is such a great kid. I am really unhappy with the condition in which both horses came back, and will NEVER do a lease. These horses cam fomr a reputable breeder, so I had expected better. The mare's feet havent been touched since I did her before she left (beginning of June). Mom is skinny, i can feel ribs, and see them as well. She wasnt on nearly enough feed for a nursing mare her size. The foal is skinny, and hasnt grow at all since he was born, and he's skinny. I don't think mom is producing enough milk, but theses are things that I should have been told so I could pay for them to get him on milk supplements, etc. Anyhow, that is a whole other issue that my vet and I will adress when she comes tomorrow morning....I am assuming Foal-Lac is in order for this little guy.

For now, I have updated pictures of him. He is VERY small, only about 40 inches at 1 month of age. His dam is 16hh, and sire is 17.1hh, I expected bigger, but I love him so much, it doesnt matter!! LOL I took a "profile" shot of him to show his broken nose. I was very surprised, its not bad at all!! Some bumps, but nothing major. He is definitely my ugly duckling, but is so ugly he's cute!! He has his momma's evil eye, and really shows it in the pictures! We really bonded tonight he is all over me like a wet noodle, I love it!!

I am also extremely happy to report that once he got here, his dam decided she LOVED him. He's nursing, she's leting him share her grain and hay. She stands over him when he sleeps, and is generally being fantastic. Maybe she prefers being at home? I will take it one day at a time, and see how everything progresses. I am just so happy to finally have them both home. His name is Spider. So far, he has no registered name, we are still brainstorming.

f2d1e58c.jpg

f2d1e592.jpg

f2d1e59d.jpg

Glad you got them home and can get them the care they need. Sounds like you are a really good "mom"!

I am presuming you have not had the chance to have that X-rayed?? Right where that bump is there is a little "shelf" of bone , quite delicate and easy to chip- it looks very much to me as if that is what has happened- in which case the prognosis for a full recovery is very good- although I do recommend you put localised treatment on it to reduce the swelling and your Vet will probably prescribe Bute to help that and the pain- remember to weigh him before giving Bute, no matter what the Vet says!!! I think the problem was probably the lack of food and total disorientation, sounds like it's been a bad experience for her and a learning curve for you. Please, PLEASE give the foal his own feed- this will show the mare you mean to protect her interests and make her much more likely to settle. I find mares and foals often swap feeds so I make the bins the same height and put the mares feed + a handful of two, split in two, into both bins, then, when she's finished hers she finishes up his- if they swap the feeds are the same so it does not matter. When I feed the foals differently they come into a stall next door or, in my case with the Minis, the round pen, and eat apart form the mare. You need to be careful of building her up too fast as her gut is not used to it, but if you can get your hands on some good chaff, you could give her that as it is easily digested. Hopefully your Vet will have some help to give as well- personally I would never rely on a Vet for dietary help, it is a little outside their field of expertise- but most feed manufacturers have a helpline- if you have a particular feed line you like and use- e-mail them.

Latest posts

Back