Therapy Work with Mini's?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaAH

Reaction score
How does one get involved in this type of work? I would love to visit assisted living homes etc. Just wondering if anyone here does that kind of work.

Our mini stallion, Saber, has passed his therapy animal evaluation and is still going through his initial visitation before being a full fledged therapy animal.

We are part of a group called Rim Of The World Therapy Pets.

Saber is the only horse so far and he was tested by an evaluator for & is insured by an organization called Love On A Leash.

If there aren't any therapy organizations around you to contact you may want to send off a letter to LOAL .. here's their website http://www.loveonaleash.org/

I got involved because my parents friend was a event planner at an older aged home. It was a great experience and they really enjoyed it.

Theres alot of people on the forum involved in the therapy work Im sure they could give you alot of information like Sixstar did!!

I started doing therapy work in nursing homes because I love older people and wanted to share my love of horses and also caring for people. Mine are not certified or anything like that but can walk into the nursing home and brighten up the day for many senior people.

My sister's mother-in-law owns a personal care home so that's how we got started. I have also been asked by schools and the local library. I think the word gets out and your phone starts ringing.

Kudos to you for giving back to your community!
default_wub.png

We take our minis to assisted and non assisted living centers. Are minis are not certified but we visit every year. I just contacted the centers in our area and they loved the idea! Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone.

I wil check out the link sixstar

I didn't know if there were requirements per city etc. I guess I can google info. I use to want to be a social worker for kids and the elderly but we started our own business and here we are 6 years later and now it's not an option. This would be a great way to gve back and help those who need it most.

Our minis aren't certified (yet) either, but we still go to retirement centers and charity events. If you are concerned about liability, check with your insurance agent. Although, sometimes that can open up a can of worms because some insurance companies just see the word "horse" and freak out. They don't know how to rate a MINIATURE horse.
default_rolleyes.gif

I have visited over twenty different facilities. Goldie and I make 9 visits weekly during the summer, and just two weekly, except special occasions in the winter. We have not gotten certified, I wanted to set it up, but I would have to drive to Desmoines, Iowa for the test. That is a six hour treck. Other people closer are not willing to test a mini horse. Insurance is an issue, however, if the place asks you or put you on their calendar, then it is under their policy. Once one place knows you are willing, the word will spread like mad and you will be all over the place!
default_smile.png

My minis arer not certified either. I use to be a paramedic and always went to the nursing home and just became friends with some of the patients and the staff. They knew I had minis and after one visit the rest was history. Now we have visited nursing homes, assisted living centers, charity events, we do a Live Nativity each year with our mini donkey, and we visit with special needs patients. Nothing is more rewarding thenmaking them smile.
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back