Therapy Work With Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainWoman

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is doing therapy work with their minis visiting hospitals, schools and nursing homes and if so, how they got started. Is anyone certified through Delta Pet Partners? And just wondering if anyone is doing Equine Assisted Therapy working with psychologists/pyschiatrists. I know about the programs with full size horses but haven't heard of anyone doing that kind of work with minis.

Love to hear your stories. Our minis can do so much more than be pasture ornaments.

Funny you should ask right now.... We always wondered the same things and then started a 4-H Club this year with our minis, which has been a fabulous experience. As a Community service project, we just took 2 of our minis to a local nursing home that one of the members relatives used to work for. Called them up to schedule a visit in their fenced outdoor courtyard, as we thought that would be a good place to start. The only requirements they had were a Rabies certificate. We opted to take our "been-there/done-that" show mare Princess and our 2 year old gelding Rusty who had only been off the farm once. Rusty had also led us to believe that he would be PERFECT for this role, however, so we had faith in him.

Photos can be seen at: https://www.facebook...=1&l=74fc076638

Yes, it is Facebook, but you don't have to be a member to see them.

As you can see from the photos, we ended up taking them indoors, sticking to carpeted floors because they slipped on the tile. (Next time we would bring vet wrap or shoes). What you can't see - but we heard - was the train that went by just across the road. Princess was a tiny bit concerned but Rusty never moved a muscle. They were also great when someone backed her wheelchair into a huge umbrella, knocking down a glass bird feeder that shattered right next to the minis. Neither mini moved. And, yes, Rusty was PERFECT for this role.

I am not sure who enjoyed the experience the most - the residents, staff, minis, 4-H memebrs or us leaders! There was some concern about "accidents" when we were indoors, but Princess let us know when she needed to go (subtle but clear message) and she went as soon as she got back on the trailer.

For our other 4-H work, we do have a range of abilities among members, and we are all "learning by doing" (4-H motto). I read somewhere that in therapeutic driving they use a second set of reins attached to the HALTER to teach driving, and we are using that technique with the young 4-H members too. So I control the mini (Princess again) with a set of reins on the bridle, and the 4-Her sitting to my left has another set of lines attached to the halter. This way they can learn how to hold the reins, how to steer, and what contact feels like. I know there are other ways, but this seems to show promise. See photo below.

Ka_driving.JPG

TargetsMom,

I so admire you and the work you are doing. Just what I want to be doing - to use my horses and give back to the community. I've done it in a limited way but want to become even more involved. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm so inspired now by your activities with the minis and 4H. I hope you keep posting about it.

Targetsmom, I enjoyed your experience!

One does not need to be so formal, such as being certified, to visit schools and nursing homes. Hospitals would be different, I'm sure, but schools and nursing homes are easy. Just call!

Last year at the county fair my sister was in charge of the animals at the petting zoo. Since she planned to have some fragile babies, such as chicks and ducklings, she wanted to visit all the elementary schools who would be making the field trip to the fair so she could teach them the correct way to handle the animals. Sometimes when the classes come through, it is too hectic to have a good lesson.

So I took Dapper Dan and helped her with the babies. We visited all the schools that were planning to come. One school we went in the gym. Another we went into the dining room.

Every time you go somewhere you learn a little more. So here is one lesson I learned. If you go up on a stage, or anywhere that has stairs, be aware that stairs can be scary looking for horses. We had to lay a black mat over the stairs at the dining room visit, and that was the only way I could get Dapper Dan to get off the stage. It was just 3 steps, but it was not good. He went UP the stairs fine. If we go there again, I will take a piece of sturdy plywood to make a ramp.

Here is a great therapy horse website: www.Horse-Therapy.org

I don't know a ton about therapy horses, but recently called these people to ask advice on how to get started. That is possibly my 3 year plan, as soon as my youngest child starts school in a couple of years. But I'm not sure I have a horse yet they would be suitable. There mini's also seem very tiny as mine are 38" and 40". Perhaps the ones they are using aren't full grown yet? I would love to get a ultra tiny mini at some pont.

Jens: Thanks for posting that website - I see them all the time on Facebook and am impressed with what they do and how beautiful their minis look! Most would look good in the show ring.

I note that they say it takes 2 years to train their minis for the work they do, but you don't have to start with taking you minis indoors or up into elevators. I think Rusty (at 2 years and never been off the farm) is an example of starting with good parents, a nice quiet mini, lots of ground work, and trusting his handlers. He had no problem with the close quarters, strange sights (wheelchairs, umbrellas, etc) or even the carpet or tile inside - except for slipping on the slick tiles. Princess, at 8 and a show horse, had seen just about everything before, and maybe her calm presence helped Rusty.

I suggest if people want to get started, make sure you have a mini (or two) that is rock solid in terms of ground manners, and find a place like we did with a fenced courtyard that has had animals visit before. The place we went owns a dog (kept somewhere else during our visit) and has had llamas visit.

Jens, thanks for the website. I have a teeny, tiny girl who has matured at 27" and she's perfect for therapy work due to her loving and calm disposition. If you get up this way, you can visit her. The tiny ones are lots of fun but so are the taller minis. TargetsMom, the fenced courtyard idea is great advice. Marsha, thanks for sharing your story. Sounds like so much fun. Thanks everyone so much for the advice!

Latest posts

Back