Therapy Question.......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGahr

Reaction score
Hello....

I have 3 exceptionally docile and delightful mini geldings and we have sort developed, unintentionally, a little program of visiting with people who need a little boost for whatever reason. It started with a neighbor who had lost a loved one and did not get out much -- I walk a lot and always take a friend (by friend I mean one of the boys' club) with me and we stopped to visit. It helped her through a rough time. Also, a little girl stops to visit once in a while. Her mother drives their van to the barn and pushes the little girl near the fence and Cisco will stand with his head through the railing and in her lap as long as she sits there and lets him--just a gentle experience for both of them.

OK...my question.....I have been asked to "visit" a person in our area who is sight impaired: anyone out there have any experience working with blind individuals? I planned to just have the lady get comfortable in a lawn chair and then bring the ponies to her. Let her call the shots.....touch them.....just whatever. I thought I would ask if anyone had any experience in working with type of situation and could give me some pointers or cautions or possible tips to make things more enjoyable.

If anyone has any ideas or can direct me to any web site for information I would really appreciate it. We are not part of any formal program just having fun. Thanks for your time.

Linda

Linda,

What you are doing with your little ones is wonderful........The plan you describe with the sight impaired person sounds perfect. Listen to your heart, add some "horse sense" to the mixture and it will be beautiful.
default_wub.png

i don't have this sort of experience with my mini boys (although i think it would be awesome!) but when i lived in town and rode my gelding around, i always passed by a home where a little boy lived who was totally blind, from birth. he would hear the clip clop coming down the street and his mom or dad would bring him out to visit.

he loved to "see" tuffy and he would start at his velvet nose and feel his way all over that horse from head to tail. he asked one day what a horse shoe looked like so i picked tuffy's foot up and had him feel it. he was fascinated with it. it was really a lot of fun for him and it was so touching for me to watch this boy. tuffy is such a gentle soul, i knew he would stand still for anything and we eventually even put the little boy in the saddle for a few steps.

that little boy is now a grown man with a beautiful seeing eye dog. i see him walking around town occasionally and always stop to visit for a few minutes. when he hears my voice, his first question is "how's that big beautiful horse?"
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back