Therapy Pony

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my friends, we were bested by the weather this year. It saddens my heart that I'm not able to get Jasmine out to care centres before Christmas now. It's been brutally cold, and before that it was snowing and windy making hauling conditions unsafe. It's so unfortunate; I know so many really look forward to her visits and it really warms my heart. Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to drop in soon. Otherwise, we will shut the visits down until spring when things warm up and it's easier on the pony and my truck.

Well my friends, we got to start back on our site visits yesterday. We met over 150 new friends at a large care facility in north Edmonton (if you're watching hockey playoffs, yes, that's Edmonton Oilers - Oilers Nation!) Jasmine was the rockstar she always is! The dementia unit had me a little claustrophobic - people come up and crowd around her. Not dangerous or threatening at all, just not the nice circle of space that we usually encounter. Regardless, Jasmine remained relaxed as she always does.

We tried out her brand new Cavello CLBs and had rave reviews. I got to tell the same joke several time (cause each pod gets to hear my jokes...) that he shoes cost way more than mine! After an hour and a half, Jasmine was shifting quite a lot and looked uncomfortable. I'm not sure if the boots go through a break-in period, if it was actually the boots or the hard floor, or that she's about due for a trim, or... cause she's a horse and reasons....

We also tried out our new manure catch bag. I'm glad I decided to buy the pony size, not just the mini. I think the mini would fit a goat or sheep, but too small for a mini horse. Anyways, it caught all but 2 bits and was super easy to clean up. I'd put a garbage bag in the satchel and a diaper in there too, in case of wetness, and had a pair of gloves with me. Popped it out and disposed of it and we were good to go again! Nice and sanitary!

I had a profound experience with the last group we visited. There was a gentleman we came around to who looked exactly like my dad before he got sick. Same moustache, same eyes, same haircut, beautiful man. I cried, I apologized, he was very kind and understanding. I realize that this was a message from my dad saying "good job kiddo". My dad passed away in June of last year. Thankfully the staff that requested the visit was also equally understanding and kind.

Otherwise, it was exhausting - as site visits always area, and a million percent worth it all! My heart is full, I'm grateful to that little pony and am ready for the next visit!
Oh and check out the welcoming committee when we got home! Do you think the boys missed her??!! 🤣

Attachments

• Jasmine Dickensfield.jpg
    Jasmine Dickensfield.jpg
    651 KB · Views: 0
  • Jasmine Trailer.jpg
    Jasmine Trailer.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Jasmine Home.jpg
    Jasmine Home.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well my friends, we got to start back on our site visits yesterday. We met over 150 new friends at a large care facility in north Edmonton (if you're watching hockey playoffs, yes, that's Edmonton Oilers - Oilers Nation!) Jasmine was the rockstar she always is! The dementia unit had me a little claustrophobic - people come up and crowd around her. Not dangerous or threatening at all, just not the nice circle of space that we usually encounter. Regardless, Jasmine remained relaxed as she always does.

We tried out her brand new Cavello CLBs and had rave reviews. I got to tell the same joke several time (cause each pod gets to hear my jokes...) that he shoes cost way more than mine! After an hour and a half, Jasmine was shifting quite a lot and looked uncomfortable. I'm not sure if the boots go through a break-in period, if it was actually the boots or the hard floor, or that she's about due for a trim, or... cause she's a horse and reasons....

We also tried out our new manure catch bag. I'm glad I decided to buy the pony size, not just the mini. I think the mini would fit a goat or sheep, but too small for a mini horse. Anyways, it caught all but 2 bits and was super easy to clean up. I'd put a garbage bag in the satchel and a diaper in there too, in case of wetness, and had a pair of gloves with me. Popped it out and disposed of it and we were good to go again! Nice and sanitary!

I had a profound experience with the last group we visited. There was a gentleman we came around to who looked exactly like my dad before he got sick. Same moustache, same eyes, same haircut, beautiful man. I cried, I apologized, he was very kind and understanding. I realize that this was a message from my dad saying "good job kiddo". My dad passed away in June of last year. Thankfully the staff that requested the visit was also equally understanding and kind.

Otherwise, it was exhausting - as site visits always area, and a million percent worth it all! My heart is full, I'm grateful to that little pony and am ready for the next visit!
Oh and check out the welcoming committee when we got home! Do you think the boys missed her??!! 🤣
Reading this it feels my heart too. It must be so wonderful for all. It is so wonderful that you feel your dad with you.
I would be showing off and talking about those cute boots too :) I'm glad you posted pics

Wow, that’s a bunch of people. 150! Go Jasmine! It is so wonderful that you are doing this. I know everyone there just loves yalls visits! When is your next visit scheduled? How often do y’all do them??
Thank you, yes, it feeds the soul for sure!!
Next visit will likely be later in May. I'll be away working on assignment away from home for a few weeks in May, so that will interrupt with visits. It's dementia awareness month, so we're working out details on doing a "tea" where Jasmine can visit inside and Phillippe can come and visit outside, perhaps with another little friend. We try to do 2 visits a month during the warm months, and then don't go out at all over the winter - snow, bad roads, hairy ponies get really hot inside...

I enjoyed reading of your visit to the dementia unit. I used to work on one and your description was spot on. I could SEE the pts. crowding around. No such thing as boundaries in a dementia unit and it takes a certain type of person to work on one and a little getting used to. I hope you go back very soon for a visit. I bet you made many people very happy 👍:)!

I enjoyed reading of your visit to the dementia unit. I used to work on one and your description was spot on. I could SEE the pts. crowding around. No such thing as boundaries in a dementia unit and it takes a certain type of person to work on one and a little getting used to. I bet you made many people very happy 👍:)!

I enjoyed reading of your visit to the dementia unit. I used to work on one and your description was spot on. I could SEE the pts. crowding around. No such thing as boundaries in a dementia unit and it takes a certain type of person to work on one and a little getting used to. I hope you go back very soon for a visit. I bet you made many people very happy 👍:)!
They deserve the most care. I feel it's my responsibility to be where they are. Jasmine's been renamed many times in a dementia unit, Lucy, Sparky, Wassa was the most recent, and I go with it. I was told a few times that I'd met friends (residents) at my previous visits (never been to that site before) but that doesn't matter. I just tell them "Of course, you're right! I forgot, I'm sorry!" and it's much easier to move on. No correcting, no adding to confusion, just going to where they are.

What a weekend! A "long weekend" usually translates into a very full and busy weekend for us. Saturday we got to come back to our home site for a visit. This time, my daughter took Jasmine inside for a tour around and my mom went in with her. I brought Phillippe to start getting him accustomed to visits. He only stayed outside but met several new people and got a lot of positive exposure. It was a great morale boost. I still don't think he's ready to go inside and it's not because I'm worried he'll try to kick or bite anyone. He LEANS against people, things. He can't lean against frail people in care!!! And my biggest concern is his reaction when he's feeling unsafe. I'm worried that he'd simply go through or over someone, step on feet, or push over a wheelchair if he felt his safety was at risk. I don't feel it's very likely, but that it's still a possibility. So we'll continue to set him up for exposure in a safe manner.
Ali got herself stressed out going in for the visit without me, even though Grandma was with her. They only toured one floor and then Ali decided that was enough, Jasmine was too stressed and couldn't stay any longer. So out they came.
Now, that was the first time she'd toured without me, and recently the weather has been odd with loads of wildfires in the province so it's been smoky and very warm. The weather was just about to change to rain (yay!) so that may have contributed to the behaviors too.
After a break, we took the littles to a lodge for an outside visit with residents there. It was FANTASTIC!!! We got to spend about 45 minutes visiting with both little ones and everyone was calm and relaxed. A great finish.

Attachments

• Phillippe and Jasmine Site Visit.jpg
    Phillippe and Jasmine Site Visit.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Phillippe Site Visit 1.jpg
    Phillippe Site Visit 1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Phillippe Site Visit 2.jpg
    Phillippe Site Visit 2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
You sure did have a busy weekend and one filled with heart. 😍 Phillipe and Jasmine are so pretty and did you proud! Something about horses and donkeys brings up some great memories, and I bet you have heard some wonderful stories!

Years ago, visiting long term care with my mini, an elderly Ojibwe lady laughed at his size and shared sneaking rides as a young girl (in the 1920’s) bareback at night on the neighbors horses.

Another lady, Rosa, remembered coming to Minnesota in a covered wagon around 1900 when she was 10 years old. Can you imagine?

Last edited:
You sure did have a busy weekend and one filled with heart. 😍 Phillipe and Jasmine are so pretty and did you proud! Something about horses and donkeys brings up some great memories, and I bet you have heard some wonderful stories!

Years ago, visiting long term care with my mini, an elderly Ojibwe lady laughed at his size and shared sneaking rides as a young girl (in the 1920’s) bareback at night on the neighbors horses.

Another lady, Rosa, remembered coming to Minnesota in a covered wagon around 1900 when she was 10 years old. Can you imagine?
Wow, what beautiful stories to share!! Horses have brought us so many experiences and adventures. Yes, I've heard some wonderful stories about childhood and it's incredible to watch the memories come back to people as they pet the pony. It's so incredibly special to share. The one that sticks in my mind the most was an old saddle bronk rider in one of the care facilities. He loved horses but had kind of resigned himself to the fact that he would never see or touch one again. When we brought the pony to him, he didn't hesitate, he wrapped his arms around her and hugged her. She stood like a gem too. It was the greatest gift to be able to provide that. I'm not sure who cried more, me or him. Probably me...

Love these stories. One interesting one with Dapper Dan was a blind man in a wheel chair. He ran his hands over Dapper Dan, and when he got to the ears he said, "yep, it's a horse".

I was worried also about Dapper Dan in close quarters, as he was sort of an ornery boy. But when he was in nursing homes he was gentle and careful.

We had friends visiting us one time and they brought their retarded adult with them. She was sitting at the patio table eating her breakfast cereal. Dapper Dan came up and she offered him a piece of fruit out of her cereal. I held my breath and was poised to intervene. The woman's care giver was there. Dapper Dan was not shy about getting treats out of your hand! He took the tidbit from her hand as gentle as a lamb. He knew she was "special".
My friend said she allowed that potentially dangerous thing; it was "the dignity of risk".

Last Saturday we were back in the city for a visit with another large care facility. Just Jasmine this time. Ali seems to need mom's support inside so I can't double up the animals with Phillippe outside.
This was the first time we'd encountered a friend who was NOT happy to see the pony! Not everyone wants to touch her, and that's totally ok! But I've never encountered someone upset with her presence.

In one of the common areas was a tiny lady, an Oma I'm assuming, who wanted the pony OUT of her house! "Leave! Get out!" she'd even wheel after us when we moved away from her. Poor dear, I didn't intend to upset anyone. After a little while the aid took her back to her room so she would settle.

Outside of that, everyone was great. We picked up some company along the way, as we usually do, and met over 100 new friends. Jasmine rode in the elevator more than ever before, 3 floors on one side, an additional 2 on another side. We learned that she's quite good as long as she gets to face the door. She got a little upset when we didn't let her turn around at first. We're all learning.

Attachments

• Jasmine Visit.jpg
    Jasmine Visit.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I love that you do these visits.🥰
Did Jasmine get nervous with the shouting? Hopefully it won't happen again.
Not at all! The kids at home make enough noise that she doesn't pay it any mind. And thank you for your kindness!
Next up, we're going to be in our first parade in August. Both Jasmine and Phillippe will come along and then Jasmine and I have a speaking engagement at the fair following.

Not at all! The kids at home make enough noise that she doesn't pay it any mind. And thank you for your kindness!
Next up, we're going to be in our first parade in August. Both Jasmine and Phillippe will come along and then Jasmine and I have a speaking engagement at the fair following.
Nice Send us pics😍🙂

Latest posts

Back