Therapy Dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topnotchminis

Reaction score
Hi all! I was wondering who here has a therapy dog? I have therapy dog testing with my shar pei on Sat, I am so excited!!!! Any tips? WHat is your favorite thing about therapy dogs, and your best memory? Wish Azure and I luck!

Azure 3 year old Chinese Shar Pei

l_b9f73fc9b4aa6be6eb457e1dfa717680.jpg

269.jpg

330.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't. Moxie has her CGC, but I'm not soo sure I could convince her to leave the treats alone for a TDI test!
default_rolleyes.gif

She got her CGC by the skin of my teeth...I didn't know what I'd signed up for...a friend talked me into it!

Good luck though!

~kathryn

What a DARLING Pei! Good luck to you. What group are you testing with? I'm hoping to get our Sam (Lab/Shepherd mix) tested in through Love on a Leash.

Your Shar Pei is adorable! My American Pit Bull Terrier passed his Therapy Dog certification (TDI) through Therapy Dogs International. The test was easier than I thought it would be. Basically the CGC with some extras thrown in.

The time we tested most of the dogs that had trouble ended up failing at the food on the ground test or when they have to walk up to a seated person calmly and sit quietly for petting. Oh, a couple of them also acted shy at the grooming test, where they have to stand calmly and without shyness while a stranger runs a brush over them and picks up each foot. If your dog has a sweet friendly personality and is well-trained in basic obedience (nothing major) you will do fantastic. You might want to let your dog run a bit before if she focuses better when a little tired. Make sure she's not too hungry, they had some pretty tempting steak and hot dogs at our test.

Good luck! Therapy work is very rewarding.

Here is my sweet baby UAGII, UWP, GRCH 'PR' Ravenloft's The Infernal Machine TT, CGC, TDI, BST, CL2-R ~ "Crash"

Crash making friends at the Southern California Pet Expo APBT breed booth last summer

crash_granny2.jpg

Crash_over_big_1_14_07.jpg

We currently have two Therapy Pets.

One is our homebred Harlequin Great Dane boy, Eagle

mtpalomarWDEagle3.jpg

BIS RBIS UKC CH, Multi Int'l/Nat'l CH Sixstar's The Eagle Has Landed, CGC, TT, RN (AKC major pointed)

PE08pix6.jpg
xxxpo3.jpg

Eagle at Pet Expo.

Eagle was tested through Love On A Leash.

Prior to being tested he visited the Convelescent Hospital my FIL was at (before he passed away)

Currently Eagle is going through his 10 official visitations (he's covered by LOAL after passing the test)

before becoming a totally full fledged certified therapy pet.

4 visits made to our local hospital - 6 to go.

LOAL requires 10 visits (with at least 10 hours between them) before letting you fully in.

Prior to Eagle his parents were Therapy Dogs Int'l therapy dogs.

Personally, I felt the TDI test was more extensive that LOAL.

Our other therapy critter is our mini stallion, Saber.

He's fully certified through Love On A Leash.

I'm actually hoping to have one of our cats, named Ben, tested this year.

Thank you for the replies! Your dogs are so pretty! I am doing the therapy through Therapy Dogs, Inc, at the local hospital. Azure passed her CGC about a year 1/2 ago, so I do not think she will have a problem, she loves everyone and everything.

Where do you test at? What kind of things do you have to do? We have used my miniature stallion, Popcorn, for therapy at the local nursing home and then at a assisted living center. He loves to go and visit......and I love it too.

Where do you test at? What kind of things do you have to do?
If you'd like to get Popcorn certified I'd suggest contacting Love On A Leash

and ask if they have any members around your area that could do an evaluation.

The test pretty much showed that there was control of our mini stallion,

that he didn't have problems being hugged and held onto, was good with having his legs and feet touched and

they also checked that he took treats gently.

Pretty much the basics.

Granted this was a longgg time ago. My rescued Cairn terrier was a Therapy dog....she passed with flying colors. She was such a love.... went to the childrens hospital where we lived at the time and a couple of the nursing homes.

She passed away almost 20 years ago now from cancer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back