Thelonius -- PHOTOS ADDED

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my heart goes out to you and to Mingus also. Loosing a pet is aboslutly heart wrenching. My thoughts and prayers go out to you. It sounds as though Thelonius spent his last years with a warm and loving family, both 2 and 4 legged.

Thank you all so much -- your thoughts have meant the world to all of us and have truly helped us as we move slowly through our grief.

Mingus, Scarlet and Flash are doing well. I left out one detail that, upon reflection, has sent shivers down my spine: After they individually viewed Thelonius' body, Mingus and Scarlet stood at the gate, heads down, and stared at Thelonius' body for about 20 minutes...absolutely motionless. Then, as one, they lifted their heads and walked away and did not look again (at least that we saw). Whatever they witnessed in that time, their vigil was complete.

Keith and I have been reminiscing about Thelonius, and I was reminded of a story that perfectly portrays his elfin character. This is an exerpt of a story I posted several years ago of my attempt to drink my coffee as Mingus and Thelonius grazed on the lawn:

...Not to be left out, an impish strawberry roan soon joined in. For those who have never met Thelonius, his constant expression is one of sweet orneriness...he's that little red-headed prankster from grade school. While Mingus was bent on showing his affection (or was he scratching his chin?), Thelonius was on a more important mission: to knock my coffee cup off the table. If I attempted to take a sip, he tried to help by bumping it. If I set my cup down, he reached for it immediately, ever hopeful of sending it flying.

Mingus soon sauntered off to court the other great love of his life -- food...he is, after all, a gelding. Thelonius on the other hand refused to give up. To catch me off guard, he took breaks from his antics to lick my arm, but quickly returned to that elusive goal: keeping the world safe from coffee cups!

Sadly for my "roanry" boy (if you've seen Team America, you know where that comes from...), I soon finished my coffee and had the presence of mind to move cup and carafe to the opposite bench. I almost took pity, he looked so disappointed, but then I saw his eyes light up. I heard first one thump, then another, as Thelonius spotted my shoes on the bench beside me and swiftly knocked them to the ground...

Susanne, I think someone already said this, but I bet you could write some fun short stories about Thelonius (and Mingus too)...
default_wub.png

susanne, please post his picture

also your mailbox is full

please email me

Here are a few of our favorite Thelonius photos:

Thelonius Monk

Theloniuscloseup-web.jpg

Thelonius in early summer

thel-early-summer-web.jpg

Thelonius in late winter in the garden

theloniusingarden-web.jpg

Mingus, Keith and Thelonius in the snow

Ming-KH-The-winter-web.jpg

Thelonius in front of the Dogwood in Spring -- you can see his "TV" screen on his side

thelonius4_04-by-fence-web.jpg

Almost left this one out... Thelonius and Mingus...ponies in the mist on our hillside

ponies-in-the-mist-web.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to read this Suzanne. I've always enjoyed your adventures over the years with Mingus and Thelonius. He was lucky to have had such a wonderful home with you.

Again sorry for your loss.

He is a cutie. He looks very sweet but with a hint of naughtiness.
default_smile.png
I have one with that look too. Always makes me smile. My condolences again to you and all your family.

Susanne, I have had a heck of a week and trying to catch up. I just discovered this terrible news. Losing a young friend, so dear to your heart, is devastating. People whose lives aren't taken up with the creatures that share our earth will never understand, but we sure do. I lost three pets last year, 2 to old age infirmities and 1 that had to leave before her time, Willow, aged 4. Then there was Sierra (2 years old), and before her, Luna (4 days old). These young animals still tear at my heart. It is still hard for me to look at photos of my dog Willow. Anyone who has had any number of animals has probably had the grief of losing one before its time. I would think it would get easier to go through each time, but the opposite is the truth. The pain seems to build on what was already there. Your memories of Thelonius are really wonderful, and I'm sure it will comfort you somewhat. I am desperately sorry you are having to go through this, but I guess it is the price we pay to be able to enjoy a life shared with these incredible souls. It is so apparent, the love you have for your animals, and I KNOW what kind of life they have. And I guess in the end, that is what it is all about. There are no guarantees on how long we will last, but the hours spent between first breath and last are hopefully good ones. Thelonius started his life in service to all horses. And he was repaid for that by receiving the gift of a life spent with your tribe.

Sending you MUCH love,

Amy

Thank you all so much -- your thoughts have meant the world to all of us and have truly helped us as we move slowly through our grief.

Mingus, Scarlet and Flash are doing well. I left out one detail that, upon reflection, has sent shivers down my spine: After they individually viewed Thelonius' body, Mingus and Scarlet stood at the gate, heads down, and stared at Thelonius' body for about 20 minutes...absolutely motionless. Then, as one, they lifted their heads and walked away and did not look again (at least that we saw). Whatever they witnessed in that time, their vigil was complete.

Keith and I have been reminiscing about Thelonius, and I was reminded of a story that perfectly portrays his elfin character. This is an exerpt of a story I posted several years ago of my attempt to drink my coffee as Mingus and Thelonius grazed on the lawn:

...Not to be left out, an impish strawberry roan soon joined in. For those who have never met Thelonius, his constant expression is one of sweet orneriness...he's that little red-headed prankster from grade school. While Mingus was bent on showing his affection (or was he scratching his chin?), Thelonius was on a more important mission: to knock my coffee cup off the table. If I attempted to take a sip, he tried to help by bumping it. If I set my cup down, he reached for it immediately, ever hopeful of sending it flying.

Mingus soon sauntered off to court the other great love of his life -- food...he is, after all, a gelding. Thelonius on the other hand refused to give up. To catch me off guard, he took breaks from his antics to lick my arm, but quickly returned to that elusive goal: keeping the world safe from coffee cups!

Sadly for my "roanry" boy (if you've seen Team America, you know where that comes from...), I soon finished my coffee and had the presence of mind to move cup and carafe to the opposite bench. I almost took pity, he looked so disappointed, but then I saw his eyes light up. I heard first one thump, then another, as Thelonius spotted my shoes on the bench beside me and swiftly knocked them to the ground...
You really do have quite a talent for writing. Many here have mentioned it. I hope you'll consider honoring Thelonius by compiling his stories. Your words have moved me very deeply.

And thanks for adding the pix. He was a very handsome, sweet boy.
default_smile.png

Susanne,

I can still remember when you obtained Thelonius and you announced his arrival. I remember thinking what a cool name. Like many others have mentioned, I too have so enjoyed reading your moving stories over the years. Thelonius touched many thoughout his life. Bless you for providing a wonderful home. I am so very sorry.

Your beautiful stories of Thelonius have helped all of us here know him, too. I love the pictures and I am so sorry for your loss.

Hugs,

Barbara

Latest posts

Back