Thelonius -- PHOTOS ADDED

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score

Our sweet Thelonius died today.

The rawness of this statement matches what I am feeling in my heart. We lost such a huge part of our life, I don't know if any of us will fully recover.

And yet, I believe our grief is small in comparison to that of Mingus: he has lost the best, most loyal friend anyone could ever have.

Thelonius' early years and his last few hours were hard, but what was in between was golden. As a colt, he became a procedures horse for a veterinary school surgery program. As such, he underwent a tracheotomy, a liver biopsy, and an abdomenal scope. If ever a horse had a right to hate humans, it was Thelonius, but he loved people and seemed to find the direct route to their souls.

He first came into our lives thanks to LB member, jayne. At that time, Keith and I had a single mini -- Mingus -- and jayne adked if Mingus would like a friend. Her herd refused to accept the llittle roan she had brought home, leaving him odd man out. Mingus did indeed need a buddy, so we drove to the Oregon coast and brought him home in our mini van. Jayne called him Pokey, but our animals were all named after jazz musicians, and quiry, little gelding was named after the quirky, artistic genius, Thelonius Monk.

Looking back, we were lucky that our young stallion was so willing to share his home and his people with this cabbage patch doll of a horse, but they seemed to have met in a previous life. They had each other at hello. The day after he arrived, we decided to go for our walk through our city neighborhood and up the summit of Mt. Tabor Park. Since Thelonius was new to pavement and sidewalks, (that's my story and we're sticking to it!) we decided to rest while Keith and Mingus hiked to the top. Thelonius nibbled on the grass and we relaxed in the shade until we heard distant hoofbeats on the trail above. Thelonius cut loose with a high, slightly hoarse whinny, which was instantly echoed by Mingus' big boy call. This continued back and forth as I heard the footsteps and whinnies getting louder and nearer. Thelonius and Mingus were overjoyed to see each other, and from then on they were inseparable.

Throughout their friendship, Thelonius admired...even worshipped Mingus. Mingus loved his buddy but often seemed to take him for granted. Mingus was the etotist, proud and bold, while Thelonius was quiet and meek, willing to watch the world from behind his hero. Mingus often went places with us while Thelonius stayed home with the others. We occasionally joked that Mingus got more out of the friendship, but not everything is so readily apparent.

As city horses, Mingus and Thelonius made many excursions onto the streets of Portland, generally filled with neighbors and passers-by, almost all of whom were enthralled by the idea of city horses. Neighbors filled us in on the views from their windows -- ponies enjoying their morning romps, rearing, kicking, running and just having a ball. Our property cut across a city block, so our back lane became a popular route for joggers, carpools, kids, moms with strollers, and more. One evening I went out to find a large group standing at our back gate, admiring our "kids."

"We think they're an asset to the neighborhood!," one woman called. Funny...they never said that about us...

One late summer day we learned that our neighborhood was holding a parade, and that all were welcome. We whipped out the brushes and polished the ponies, then ran to the staging area. The parade was a bit haphazard, as many neighbhood parades are, people with children on bikes, firetrucks, and politicians, and watched from nursing homes and front porches. At the parade's end was a picnic, with hotdogs, ice cream and a sea of screaming children. Add to that two small horses, and you have a match made in heaven. The hordes descended -- children as far as the eye could see. Both Mingus and Thelonius have always loved children and didn't bat an eye, but after awhile, Thelonius began pulling me off in a different direction. I thought perhaps he had had too much and decided to follow him.

He pulled me through the crowd until he came to a quadraplegic woman in a wheelchair, where he lay his head on her lap.

In my life filled with animals of all shapes and sizes, this is the single most extraordinary thing I have ever witnessed.

As is so often true of mini owners, we were drawn to more, which led us to trade our city lot for four acres in the sticks. More land, longer hikes, and more horses. Thelonius loved his new friends -- first Flash and then Scarlet -- but he remained devoted to his buddy, Mingus. If we returned with Mingus from a show or drive, we'd roll down the van windows to hear Thelonius call -- it was the only time he ever talked.

Our animals are our family, filled with all of life's joys and sorrows. Of all of our animals, Thelonius was the most attuned to our highs and lows. He was actually the most "horsey" of our horses, and yet if we came to the fence while he was eating, he never hesitated to come over for a scratch.

In his last two days, Thelonius, who usually stayed home, had to leave our faux-farm twice for vet visit. This time he called to his buddy from the van, as Mingus, Scarlet and Flash welcomed him home. On his last homecoming, he hobbled down the ramp from the van and walked unsteadily to the corral gate where Mingus waited. There they stood, muzzles touching, saying all that needed to be said. Ten minutes laters, Thelonius died.

The vet who was on her way (we won't discuss the first vet) came despite our call telling her he had already died. I mentioned Thelonius' history as a procedures horse and Marie's (Shortpig's) question if the colic were perhaps related to that. She felt it was quite likely he had suffered a blockage due to an adhesion from the liver biopsy.

After he died, we let each of the horses say their goodbyes. If anyone ever doubts that animals mourn, they need only have seen Mingus today. Every fiber of his body radiated sorrow. Thelonius may have been the quiet one, but still waters run deep. For the rest of my life, I'll have my ultimate example of friendship and loyalty. It came in a little pink horse...my sweet Thelonius.

[i've added photos on post #67]

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my God Susanne NO!!!!
default_crybaby.gif

I'm so, so sorry! I have tears running down my face and a lump in my heart.

You have written such a moving documentary on such a wonderful little horse. I too found myself in tears reading about Thelonius.

I can relate so emotionally to this story for I have a stallion and gelding who are the most attached of all my horses. Your sorrow and that of Mingus will one day be shared here I am sure.

I can do nothing to ease your sorrow except to pray you find comfort in the knowledge he was so happy and safe with your family.

default_sad.png
I am so sorry. I have tears in my eyes from reading your heartbreaking but beautiful words about Thelonius. (((HUGS)))) to you and Mingus. Thelonius, you have a beautiful soul, R.I.P.

Susanne and Keith, I can't even begin to tell you how sorry I am. I always felt like I knew all your horses in person from your writtings about them. Thelonius was one of those forum horses that everyone got to know so well. While reading your tribute I couldn't help but let the tears flow. How I wish I could be there to share a big hug. There is no doubt that Thelonius knew how much loved he was. Hold Mingus close as you can as you know how hurt he is too. Godspeed little Thelonius.

OMG I am in total shock Susanne.
default_crybaby.gif
I am so very sorry to hear you lost him, my heart goes out to you and Keith. If you need anything, let me know. ((HUGS))

default_no.gif
Oh Susanne, I am sooooo very sad for you. As always, you have such a knack for writing, and your memorial for Thelonius was so beautiful and inspiring...your strong love for him and all of your little ones, so evident in your written words. I wish I could offer more, but all I have to offer you are my most sincere words of sympathy, and HUGE (((((HUGS))))).

Susanne, this news is just heartbreaking; as I read, tears began.

Thelonius was so very blessed to have 'landed' in the circle of your love. What a wonderful tribute you wrote....beautifully expressed, as always when you write.

My heart is there with you and Keith...and special Mingus, too. I would give a lot to be able to give you a 'real' one, but this will have to do...{{{HUG}}}!

Margo

That was one of the most beautifully written tributes to a lost love that I've ever read. I hope that somehow, you can share it. Thelonius was amazing.

My heart hurts with you. I'm so sorry.

It was such a shock getting that message from Keith on my answering machine this afternoon.
default_no.gif
Keith always sounds a little quiet with his messages, but I could hear right away that something was just not right.

I don't think susanne mentioned that Thelonius had prominent rectangular patches on the sides of his belly... the mismatch of coat color and exact right angles readily indicated that these were not natural markings. While I used to joke that these were his TVs, as with the Teletubbies, they were always there to remind you of his past, but also to remind you what a lucky guy he was to end up having such a happy life after all.

I'll miss seeing his sweet eyes and his silly punky mane, which always made me smile.

Daryl

I am so sorry you lost your precious boy. I had goosebumps while reading your post. It is easy to see how much he was loved by you and your husband and his horse family. My heart goes out to all of you.
default_sad.png

What a beautiful tribute to a very special little man. God must have desperately needed his help in horse heaven to have removed him from his loving family and friends. There will be a new star shining brightly in the night sky from now on.

Sending sincere sympathy and hugs for you both and for Mingus.

Anna

OMG Susanne what a beautiful tribute to your little guy. Sounds like he touched the hearts of many and will be a great loss to the horse world.

Susanne...Tears are flowing from reading your tribute. I saw your post on FB 1st, so I knew before I came here what to expect, but...your heartfelt words about your sweet little Thelonius tore at my heart. He will be greatly missed by many, but he knew how much he was loved by his human and horse family. {{{{Hugs}}}}

Susanne, Keith, Mingus and the rest of the little herd, I am soo sorry for your loss.

A very moving tribute to a wonderful little horse, brought tears to my eyes.

Hugs to you all as you mourn your loss.

Susanne and Keith I am so sorry to hear this has happened. When I got your phone call I wasnt expecting to hear that. I know how devastated you are.

Cute little Thelonious is telling all his new friends at the bridge about those he left behind. Mingus, Flash and Scarlet will mourn the loss of a special friend. They will share stories that will make them cry and laugh. He may have been a little horse in life but the hole he left behind is huge.

One night you will be setting outside when you will hear his whinny in the wind thru the trees. I know this as I still hear grunts and have to look around.

I am here if you need me.

He was so very fotunate to find his way into your family's loving arms. As much as you loved him and he found his way into your hearts, it sound like you and Keith were a God send for him too.

I am so very sorry.

Latest posts

Back