The wait is over for us! Sugar had her baby!! :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You said everything I would say, Anna!! Just perfect!

It goes to show that 30 minute checks are too far apart if something were to go wrong -- which is why we "nag" so at everyone. Since a baby only has 6 minutes before they're gone, sometimes even the 15 minute checks can be too long in between.

But we're SO HAPPY you have such a handsome little fella!!! Just beautiful!!
default_thumbup.gif
default_thumbup.gif

OK So I done a lot wrong; pretty much feel like I done everything wrong.

I don't have the right bedding.

I left the tail braided to long.

I didn't stay up with her around the clock.

I didn't check on her enough nor did I "watch" her behavior.

I wasn't feeding her enough.

Apparently I did do something right because the mare is alive the baby is alive both are thriving and the vet said they were both doing great when he was out here today to see them.

Thanks for the congrats and compliments on the baby.
default_smile.png

Who said you did a lot wrong! You've done very well. You must understand, that we're here to help, and when baby arrives, many thoughts fly out the window. So, we like to remind people about unbraiding tails, etc. And we are all happy for you that baby made it safely to the ground. Much better than having it any other way! No, you didn't stay with her around the clock - but we always try to make sure everything turns out right for everyone here, and we're very happy it did. No one is upset with you, we just wanted to help you all we could -- and we're very pleased with the pretty little one!

Take a deep breath and enjoy that precious baby. We're very glad to hear that all is well and mom and baby doing fine. That's a great report from the vet!!

Hope you share more pictures with us so we can watch this pretty little one grow!!

I am so sorry if I upset you in any way...Im new at this too and I should learn to perhaps word thing differently...in no way was I trying to criticize you. Im sorry if it sounded like I was. Your baby is darling and Mom looks pretty darn good herself!! Enjoy your little one!!...and be better than me with pictures!!

Hey, you're not alone! I made the same mistakes. Luckily everything (so far) has turned out well for my mare and baby. I braided my mare's tail ALL the time. I even wrapped it due to all the false alarms quite a bit too. I didn't think Sadie was having the baby the night she did, so the tail wasn't even braided and I NEVER had the time to even wrap it when baby started to come!

I even had shavings until I learned about how it sticks to everything. Heck, I've even had some straw that was too fine, but there was nothing I could do about it except find a different store to buy it until I finally found a decent bale. Turned out that was 2 days before she delivered. Any earlier and it would have been as fine as shavings...

I never stayed up with my mare. With so many false alarms, I went between not caring what happened to being way overprotective of her to wanting to GIVE her away!

I checked her ALL the time, but she was literally a yo-yo, so her "signs" didn't help me at all. When she waxed 3 hrs prior to labor, I honestly thought she was going to be a week a way and didn't trust it at ALL.

I was advised to up grain content and put Sadie on Alfalfa. She's doing SO amazing well as is her baby that I haven't. I'm scared to change her diet, even though she may benefit from them.

Lastly, I had barbless wire all around my mare's pen until AFTER baby was born! It was finished at 9 pm on a day they should have been able to be turned out. If no one had mentioned fencing on here, I would have been in a bad situation when payday was gone, the money was gone, and baby was on the other side of the fence. Baby could have come and gone in and out of the fence as she pleased. I never even thought of it.

So, if you feel like you did everything wrong, what you have done has worked for you. There have been enough foals lost on this forum. I have personally had a foal that never took a breath. It wasn't a mini, but I learned a great deal from it. I have mourned his loss the last nine years. It wasn't until Sadie's baby stood for the first time Sunday night that that wound finally found closure. Yes, a person can over-worry, but for the person that ends up needing that info, it's priceless. Like all the info on dystocia that I read this pregnancy. It saved my filly's life.

We're not out to frustrate anyone, we're just over-concerned aunties that REALLY hope for the best for each other. To prove a point, I cried when I read Cheerio lost her filly. I cried when Sugar's baby stood for the first time. We get attached to each other's mares on here. We can't help it.
default_wub.png

Please understand that we are only trying to do our best to get these little ones safely on the ground and the only way we can do it is by posting on the threads where there has been a safe straightforward delivery in the hope that others will read our 'warnings' as they join in to offer their congratulations. We cannot post 'negative' things on threads where sadly a foal has been lost - how unkind would that be?

So please dont think that we are blaming you in anyway, we are just, as I said, using the successful foaling threads to 'impress' our warnings on others waiting for their mares to foal.

Again many congratulations on your new baby, so thankful it all went well for you. And dont forget to post plenty of pictures - we love to see these little ones growing up.
default_yes.gif

Just checking in to see if your still on the filly cloud..hope Sugar and baby are doing well and you guys are enjoying the fun bonding time together! Stay in touch and enjoy your new filly

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back