The vet will be coming shortly and....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genie

Reaction score
I would appreciate some ideas some of you may have regarding a situation.

Last evening I brought a mare into the barn for the night.

It had been a cool rainy day but she walked and acted as normal.

Later I noticed her laying down while her stall mate was eating her hay.

I moved her to another stall by herself and put lots of straw in, as well as more feed.

She is nibbling but not eating as normal.

She is laying down a lot and will stand and strain, to urinate, also straining for bowel movements.

I thought possibly she needed and enema and did so. There were normal looking poop results.

She strains as if wanting to urinate but very little results...just a dribble. She also makes a little groaning sound when she strains.

I just wanted some more opinions when the vet arrives, to give them something more to consider.

No temperature but I wouldn't doubt that she may be a little dehydrated.

She looks bright and gets up when I go in.

We have been walking her and she walks keeping her tail slightly raised.

She had a bad dystocia in early May.

Things that make me wonder....

Is it possible at this late date that she is trying to prolapse her uterus?

Could she have an infection? I would think that if she retained any placenta that she would have been REALLY sick already.

I wish you luck!

I have a friend who has a horse at the vet's, and he was acting the same way. At this point they think that he was very dehydrated (had access to water but the sudden change to really high temperatures from cool ones was a big factor). After a lot of fluids the horse is doing lots better. I hope your mare will be ok!

Thanks for that feedback.

Sounds like a possibility on the uterus prolapsing.

The vet was here at the time of her dystocia and we watched for the straining at that time which didn't happen.

It seems to be more that she needs to urinate and nothing is happening, but that is what pushing the uterus out looks like as well.

I appreciate it and the vet has not arrived yet. I am phoning again to see what's up.

Would oxytocin at this time be a thought?

I won't do anything more till the vet arrives, but wondering.

Don't do anything until you talk to the vet ESPECIALLY NOT OXYTOCIN. It is used to help expel things and the last thing you want right now is the uterus coming out due to a drug.Possible urinary infection which would cause straining to urinate.

Vet will be here shortly and I will advise her comments.

I do appreciate the feedback and especially that you would take time to p.m. me.

Could she not have kidney stones? Or crystals in her urinary tract making it painful and blocking her flow?

I mean, if she isn't infected from the dystoica or is prolapsing. Just another idea is all.

I knew a mare who was in a very similar situation ... recent dystocia, unable to urinate. She had developed adhesions from the damage caused by the dystocia which had blocked off her bladder. I sincerely hope there is something else going on with your mare, as there was nothing that could be done for her.

Thanks everyone.

Vets were here and gave her something for pain.

They gave her antibiotics, and put her on septra twice a day.

She is in heat and with the heat cycle the vet said there would be some swelling inside and the cervix would open slightly.

The vet said there was "some distortion" inside the vaginal area that was causing some pus in there and they flushed her with antibiotics.

Gut sounds were good, no dehydration and other than a slight temperature she acts fine.

She is on hay "wetted down" and some vegetable oil on some grain and a warm beet pulp mash with molasses.

Hopefully she will eat a bit.

When this mare had the dystocia, did someone have to reach in to pull the foal? Did they flush her out then and put her on antibiotics? Anytime you go in to a sterile environment, you are taking in bacteria, dirt, etc.. with you and our vet has always flushed and given antibiotics to a mare that had a dystocia and had to have help removing the foal.

When this mare had the dystocia, did someone have to reach in to pull the foal? Did they flush her out then and put her on antibiotics? Anytime you go in to a sterile environment, you are taking in bacteria, dirt, etc.. with you and our vet has always flushed and given antibiotics to a mare that had a dystocia and had to have help removing the foal.
We did keep her on antibiotics for 10 days after the dystocia.

She was not flushed however.

I will remember that for another time, should it happen. (I hope never again)

Latest posts

Back