The true measure of an individual...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
I love good bread -- not Wonderbread or other bland white or homogenized breads, but really good breads filled with lots of grains and yummy stuff...

...and how you eat it is an art...

I start with the upper crust...

Then I turn it over and eat the bottom crust.

Then on to the sides, as usually one side is rougher than the other.

Next I go to the center of the slice...

I save for last the little folds on the side, where the loaf folds over into a dense little pocket that is lighter than the rest. mmm mmm mmm...

Good bread is one of life's true treasures! I know my MIL mocks me, and thinks that good subservient housewives who worry about their figures and keeping up with the neighborhood gossip don't eat bread, but I'd die if I couldn't have my favorite yummy bread...take everything else away, just let me nibble away...

Last edited by a moderator:
I rip it apart and smash them into small cubes and then eat them. I mutilate things!
default_biggrin.png

Mine is the opposite of your procedure, Susanne: Top crust is the best so I save it for last
default_biggrin.png

Hey, since you and I are in the same area, have you tried Dave's Killer Bread yet? It's loaded with all the seeds and grains you can imagine....so much texture...mmm good~!

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is a good, home baked bread, I also save the crusts for last! I will also fight for the end pieces on a good home baked bread. But, if it is just normal sandwich bread, I throw the crusts to my dogs and only eat the center pieces! Good home baked bread it incredibly awesome! I wish I could cook or bake! I am terrible at it!

Oh, I eat the bottom crusts first, as the top crust is better with ONE exception: King's Hawaiian Bread. I love the bottom crust of that the best. And YES, the little "fold" is the very best part!

Andrea

Faith,

Killer Dave's Bread is awesome! And that's one where I eat the bottom first, side, then top, but I still save the little folds for last.

I guess the order depends upon how long the loaf of bread is baked, and how many goodies are added to the crust -- we always look for the lightest loaves on the shelf!

Ooooh, that I have never even thought of...the weight of the loaf on the shelf! I will have to check that out next time (wish the fancy bread was in the middle of the aisle instead of on the end...I might feel kinda conspicuous with my bread checking.

I fold my bread in half. Then I eat the middle and when that's gone I eat the crust. I'm not sure if I eat the top or bottom crust first.
default_wacko.png
Now, what does this mean about me?

Well Mom,

I think I may know what that says about you!
default_new_shocked.gif
You like going for the goods ASAP. I just eat it as it comes. Especially a homemade bread (which is an endangered species in my house, whether bought or *yikes* made). Not like "bakery bread" but a big fluffy loaf. And having it not sliced is fun too!
default_yes.gif
With jelly and a glass of milk. There's a restaurant around here that makes bread like that. On special nights, they give it away free during early dinner hours. But if I am eating just regular bread, 95 times out of a hundred, it's cut in half. And I eat it top to bottom. Crusts and all.

Around the crusts first, then the soft yummy middle next. Hopefully slathered in some real, true, excellent butter. never margarine. no. never that.

I buy Milton bread from the store and I love that also. Most excellent for a BLTA sandwich. yum!!!

My dogs love bread too, and insist that if I am having a slice they must have one as well.

I like very soft yeasty bread, very moist. Covered in butter. And if it is homemade rolls, soft and doughy, smash it with the fist, flat as a pancake, and slaver in butter. Ummmmm!

NO plain white bread in THIS house.......that's number one. We only buy wheat or grained bread.......I don't bake bread. HOW we eat it depends on the circumstances and the individual.
default_laugh.png

Oh, I'm a hedonist, and love it warm from the oven, tear out its soft-moist heart and eat it warm!!!

Only if it's worthy will I consume the crust and by that, it must be home made or anything other than the mass-produced and pre-sliced nastiness that is usually peddled at grocery stores.

I enjoy baking bread, too, but so far have not mastered whole grain bread, only white bread (I make a mean scottish bap/scone). Smells so good baking!

Some sliced, packaged loaves I enjoy from the store include Milton's multi-grain bread (the crust is ok on this one, but not my favorite) or Oregon Hazelnut bread spread thinly with smart balance and a light dressing of red raspberry jam (seeds, please!). The crust is not my favorite, but it's good eating!

Some time if you make it down, we should hit the Blue Scorcher bakery. GREAT bread, and plenty to explore for every palate. That and you guys need to come to Shanghaied with me and meet Bill and...and....!!!

Liz

Ohhhhhh bread! We love it....... Michael will follow his nose to a bakery when they are baking it fresh.

Starting from the bottom right hand corner eat up leaving enough to support the 'niche' go around

that and eat to the next 'niche' - finnish the crust then eat the niches and the center.....

I'd love to have a bread baking machine but think we'd be so 'fluffy' we'd have to be moved

about in a wheelbarrow.

I've had all different kinds of habits in how I eat it over the years. When I was a kid

I think I lived on bread, at which time I peeled the crusts off, threw them to the dogs and

made a dough ball out of it.....gooey white bread.....Gross! Can't even think of the why of that now.

Now our favorite store bought bread is the Milton Multi Grain....love it toasted lightly with the

perfect amount of butter. Love crusts.......

For a dessert type bread we like the Cinnabon Cinnamon bread....again toasted just right and

savored.

From scratch, I make beer bread.....very aromatic and tastes yummy, too.......

Oh, I eat the bottom crusts first, as the top crust is better with ONE exception: King's Hawaiian Bread. I love the bottom crust of that the best. And YES, the little "fold" is the very best part!Andrea

I love Hawaiian bread! My family is big bread people. When i was a kid i would take a slice of bread and make a bread ball and eat it that way.

Hawaiian bread is on a level of its own
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back