The traveling Mainers are home

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee_minis

Reaction score
Phew! What a trip! We left Thursday night around 6pm and arrived back here in Maine about 5:30pm Sunday. 1600 miles west. 26 hours one way, without pick-ups or dro-offs.

We went to the Mississippi River in Wisconsin and to Marnie's place. How beautiful it is there! I met all of Marnie's new babies and she handed me Fiona's new buckskin filly and then quickly went back to her ladies-in-waiting where I hear she had another baby! That woman is busy!! And her new house looks great! Last year she was waiting, impatiently, for it to be built and had just cleared the spot when visited.

Then we met Ann of Havencroft Minis and her husband. We picked up a pretty silver dapple pinto mare, and almost got a cat! I guess the cat likes to go for rides! LOL They were very nice and let us use the bathroom. I am jealous of the new barn they are building! They are also building a driving arena. Unfortunately I was there in the dark. It seems it always works out that way...

Then we headed to New York. We were driving without stopping to sleep. We had three drivers and a feather bed in the back of the Yukon so someone was always sleeping, driving or navigating.

The horses got plenty of rest though, because I had to stop many times for bathroom breaks! That's what happens when I drink coffee! :lol:

I picked up a horse for myself and am in love with her! She is adorable and I will be taking pics of her soon. She's a B size sorrel with an apron face, blue eyes and 4 white socks. She is in foal and we've got her under camera right now because she is acting funny. She was pasture bred so we have no clue when she is due, but has a bag and milk.

In NY we visited Deb (Dimimore) in her log cabin in the hollow. How beautiful and peaceful it is there. I told her she is out in the middle of nowhere and she told me that's just the way she likes it! She made us delicious stew and chocolate cake. (I was beyond food that night-- too tired for it.) I felt very at home there! I think we could have stayed to talk for hours and hours if we'd had the time. Her puppies are so dang CUTE!!! We loaded Dani, and Missy was thrilled to see her. I later saw Dani calmly resting her head on Missy's back, just like they'd grown up together.

We picked up two more mares and a foal in NY about midnight and then headed back east.

We all fell asleep for two hours this morning in a Massachusetts rest area. Couldn't help it!!

We dropped off my husband in Boston this morning to rent a car for a business trip and then my son and I headed back to Maine with all our horsie friends.

Fiona was our first stop. I saw her new baby boy and he is gorgeous! She needs to get good pics of him on here soon! We later delivered the other horses to fellow Mainers that I'd never met before. How nice it is to meet new people!!! They were all happy with their new friends.

I'm tired and ready for some long term, motionless sleep. It was fun and when I recover I might think about doing it again! lol

It was absolutely wonderful meeting you all and I felt Missy and Dani bonded immediately, I am so gald they did. Now rest and rest and sleep. Thanks so much.

Tracy,

I want you to know just how very much I appreciate,the trip you made for all of us!

My only regret is that you were here "in the dark" and of course weren't able to stay and visit!

I heard from Margaret and Sunshine is settling in nicely for her already.

She made sure to mention what great shape she unloaded in, and that she appreciated the care you took of the horses.

As I mentioned, we lived on the Maine/ New Hampshire border for a few years, and made the trip on a few occassions to Wisconsin to see family. I know what that trip is like.

You guys all were just super. Thank you very much, so nice to meet you , if only briefly!!

Anne

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]OOOOOOOOO O I so wish I could still drive!!! I LOVE those kind of road trips but I think the state police in every state in the union frowns on blind drivers! My mobility cane out the window would be a dead giveaway. lol I really used to think nothing of making those trips even alone with one of my dogs.... alas those days are over and I will live vicariously thru you guys![/SIZE]

Lyn

:lol: :aktion033: What a great experience for all of you!

I love hearing about trips like this! Isn't it GREAT meeting other mini owners along the way???
default_yes.gif
:

It would be neat to have more people experience trips like that. Whenever Larry delivers a horse for someone who's done it for themselves they have more of an understanding of what the Small Hauler experiences. All of a sudden there's a sort of commaradory between them.......Hard to explain until you've also done a "long haul".

MA

Welcome home!! You guys do love to travel
default_yes.gif
: I used to do it on occasion, too many mouths to feed around here now. Sounds like you had another great trip.

WOW sounds like a LONG HAUL!!!! Being that myself and my parents just made a similar trip...only 16 hours one way though, not 26 LOL....but still LONG!!! I understand the tiredness and yet how exciting it is to meet new people and see other mini farms!!

Congratulations and a huge thank you from me even though I didn't have a horse on the trip, all those people were probably SO thankful for everything you did to bring their beloved's home!!!

I can't wait to see new photo's...everyone!!!

[SIZE=14pt]OOOOOOOOO O I so wish I could still drive!!! I LOVE those kind of road trips but I think the state police in every state in the union frowns on blind drivers! My mobility cane out the window would be a dead giveaway. lol I really used to think nothing of making those trips even alone with one of my dogs.... alas those days are over and I will live vicariously thru you guys![/SIZE]

Lyn
I wish WE lived closer Lyn! I can't walk much by by crackies I can drive anything, and we'd sure go! I would consider it a privilage to travel with you and enjoy your company emmensely! What fun!

Maxine

Last edited by a moderator:
Tracy and Garrick and Greg........THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

You guys are wonderful!

My little fillies renamed Faith "Dani" and Kitty "Missy", because she rubs on you like a kitten and is so darn cute! are now relaxed and happy!

They are best of frineds and have bonded completely!

I will get pics of them promise but I have been busy hugging and rubbing them and getting to know them!!

I will have pics of Faith, Kitty and my little ham Theo in no time!!

I am going to make a roadtrip to see Deb soon, hope she is OK with that!!

Fiona, I'm counting on it! You come on down and I'll spoil you.

Latest posts

Back