The things you learn

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdegner

Reaction score
Lost a 2.5 year old mare this week to what our vet called cholostrial (sp?) toxemia. Happened very quickly and the mortality rate is almost 100%, so there was nothing we could have done. Just shocking this happened to a happy, healthy mare for no apparent reason.

Sunday afternoon, we noticed Stormy was rolling a little, so we pulled her in and gave her banamine right away. She pooped fairly soon--a bit runny--and then a couple of other times in the next few hours and it was normal. She seemed much better and was eating/drinking. She was still "off" a bit on monday, but temp, heart rate, breathing, etc was normal, so we kept her up in an enclosed area and gave her some electrolytes monday afternoon. She perked right up and started eating/drinking again. Pooped and urinated. We gave her some probiotics later that evening to help get her system normalized again and when Mike checked on her at midnight, she was comfortable. He found her dead at 6AM the next morning.

We had our vet do a necropsy and he said there was evidence that she had "cholostrial" toxemia (Merck lists it under colitis x, other terms mentioned). I am NOT a vet but my understanding is a bacteria attacked her colon, small intestine and she essentially died from a toxic shock. According to what I read (and vet talked about), this is typically brought on by stress (e.g. transport, surgery, etc) and its nearly always fatal. Starts with diareaha, can be a short high temp period but then it drops to normal or below and the animal then gets dehydrated, blood doesn't flow right, etc.

What we can't figure out is what stressed her out or caused that reaction. She was fine and playful that morning. NOTHING had changed on the farm; she was in the same pasture she was literally born on with the same group of horses eating the same hay, etc. Last time she was off the farm was in July. She was a young, healthy mare. Vet explored possibility of a poison or something that was ingested but, its winter in MN, so nothing in the pasture. Hay was fine, great in fact. She ate the same food the other 21 horses eat. Couldn't find anything wrong with her other than the colon and intestine issues and the other damage probably related to the toxic reaction (e.g. fluid around the heart).

As I thought about it, we did use to call her the Drama Queen because you could put her on a trailer for 5 minutes and take her off, and she would roll like she had the worst colic ever. It was almost comical, because she wasn't colicing. It seemed so incongruent because her personality was sunny and relaxed and playful. Not a nervous or sensitive horse except with weird stuff. We use to laugh about it--don't take Stormy anywhere without banamine--but now I think, maybe she was just built that way. Some little switch in her that would just go off. We will never know I guess.

Now I know why we are having the warmest winter EVER (at least in my lifetime) in the state of Minnesota. We were going to have to bury the Storm in the middle of January. And we did. . .

Pics of the storm during her short but wonderful life may be found on my facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.342333319119983.88400.100000299539018&type=3&l=17ae80d9a6

Happy Trails Stormy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry for the loss of your little one.

I have known this to rear it's ugly head with an ulcer case so with a horse so reactive to stress maybe she started out with ulcers. Just a thought.

I'm sorry.
default_sad.png

I am so sorry for your loss, but thank you for sharing this information. I just shake my head and think how unfair the luck of the drawl is sometimes. Neighbors that let their livestock run loose never seem to have an issue
default_sad.png

Thanks Charlotte. Nope, no ulcers cuz the vet looked for that. Stomach, etc was fine and he said he could tell that what happened in her colon and intestine happened very quickly and recently.

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your filly. Sounds like you were on top of everything, who would have guessed it was something so serious. My heart goes out to you.

Julie

I am so sorry about the loss of your filly and thank you for posting this. Sometimes we do everything we possibly can and it still isn't enough. My heart goes out to you.

I am so very sorry for your loss Mary! In that case, you did everything right. I am assuming it was her normal flora that turned against her, though I am no vet either. That can happen to anyone, no matter what species. Hugs!

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your filly. Sounds like you were on top of everything, who would have guessed it was something so serious. My heart goes out to you.

Julie
Thanks Julie, I just saw your thread about your little young one you lost as well. Freakish and terrible.....

I am so very sorry for your loss Mary! In that case, you did everything right. I am assuming it was her normal flora that turned against her, though I am no vet either. That can happen to anyone, no matter what species. Hugs!
Thanks Amanda.......she had a lot of that old ARC breeding in her (ARC Kawana and ARC Learo were great grandparents). Don't remember if you got to watch the Liberty class at MMHC last year, but she and I did Liberty for the first time and she won two blues and a 4th or 5th. She rocked it (beat some national champion Liberty horses!!) and was so silly in the ring. In retrospect, I was so glad we did it. Special memories.....

Mary, I am truly sorry to hear of your loss. She was a beautiful little filly. It sounds like you did everything you could. (((hugs))).

Dan.

I'm so sorry. What a tragedy and so heartbreaking. Godspeed young one.

So so sorry for your loss, my heart breaks for you.

God Bless YOU

Thinking of you in your time of need (((Hugs)))

Latest posts

Back